SOPA and ETSY

As we've grown, we've seen each other through some times where we've needed supporting. If you have suggestions for help hotlines, or specific resources that you want to share, please post them in here. Also, if there are good charities you support, please post links or a little info in here if you think others will be interested too! IF YOU HAVE A SPECIFIC PROBLEM, POST IT IN YAKKETY YAK, this area is for resources and social causes only...

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

SOPA and ETSY

Postby frankentooth on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:32 am

It's starting already!!!!!!!!!! My etsy shop was censored this morning and items were removed from my store. Handmade items were deemed a violation but the violation was not submitted to me. I recieved a threatening message on etsy with no valid way to respond or dispute my case. The message clearly stated not to respond to the sender but to a different sender, once i did that it deemed the second address as not valid. No email was ever sent to me explaining what my shop had done. ...however they maintain they did email me. So watch out ......this is a heads up
frankentooth
You deserve an award......

Re: SOPA and ETSY

Postby jessiegrrrl on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:19 am

WHAT!? Shit!
the deeper i go
the less light will show
the places i creep
in the deep
jessiegrrrl
PRD Professor!

Postby hannahell on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:37 pm

That's effing ridiculous! I'm sorry to hear that lady. Please keep us updated!
hannahell
PRD Professor!

Postby MooMooMonster on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:49 pm

That's insane. I want to know more! Was the stuff that you were making using well known images or characters?
Hmm...if someone claims you're stealing their design or something could that prompt etsy? I would be super ticked off if that happened to me!
MooMooMonster
PRD Professor!

Postby frankentooth on Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:42 am

when it came down to it, nbc was pissed that people were making munster fan art because they weren't getting any money from the sale of it. I had made some munster themed pieces with my fave scenes in the jewelry.
frankentooth
You deserve an award......

Postby namelesswonder on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:50 pm

That's crummy. I forgot to respond after you posted this, SOPA is shelved for now so it couldn't have been from that anyway.
Introduce a little anarchy, you upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.
My blog - updated regularly about no particular thing.
namelesswonder
PRD Professor!

Postby MooMooMonster on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:56 pm

Alright, that makes more sense to me with those details.
Yeah, that's basic copyright law that they have the right to take action when you use characters or images that they technically own. With or without SOPA, they can do that. I'm pretty sure it's in etsy's agreement that you cannot sell stuff that infringes on copyrights...
MooMooMonster
PRD Professor!

Return to Social Responsibility