'61 Harmony Hollywood H39

I'm sure I'll have no clue what goes on in here, but really, it's so the guys don't bitch, and hey, we have to support the men who wanna be creative and crafty now, don't we?

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

'61 Harmony Hollywood H39

Postby LittleWing on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:25 pm

A while back I did work for a lady who didn't exactly have the cash to pay for it. Her husband had just passed away the year before and he was a guitar fiend. No, seriously, dude had more than a hundred guitars packed into a double wide trailer. We had an agreement that I would do work on her house in exchange for a guitar, so after I had completed my tasks she let me look around. I searched for nearly an hour until I found an old wreck at the bottom of a pile. I knew that would be my baby. The body was all split to shit, it had been drilled and flipped for a lefty (why is beyond me), a stupid pickgaurd had been screwed to the body, and it was worn out from years of use and neglect.

After sanding the bitch for days and putting the body back together with wood glue and sawdust, it was ready to be finished.

Over the course of the next two days I had stained the body and applied layers of clearcoat to satisfaction.

I still had to figure out what to do with the god awful holes all over the body, so I chose to give the guitar a more classic look and cut pieces of brass as accents and attached them with brass screws. I refinished the fretboard by sanding it down and applying a light coat of stain and left the head of the guitar as it was.

This guitar was once a masterpiece and I think I did Harmony some justice with my interpretation of this 50 year old, made in Ohio classic.
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight, and never stop fighting. -E.E. Cummings
LittleWing
You deserve an award......

Re: '61 Harmony Hollywood H39

Postby sickgirliezele on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:49 pm

holy shit balls man.. she looks beautiful! my BIL loves building guitars, its one of those talents i wish i had.

what did you end up doing with the pickups? i figure after 50 years the wiring must've been jacked up!
I've got a little gun, here comes oblivion.
sickgirliezele
PRD Professor!

Postby LittleWing on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:55 pm

sickgirliezele wrote:holy shit balls man.. she looks beautiful! my BIL loves building guitars, its one of those talents i wish i had.

what did you end up doing with the pickups? i figure after 50 years the wiring must've been jacked up!

There was a little corrosion, that I brushed up with a toothbrush, but other than that, not a thing.
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight, and never stop fighting. -E.E. Cummings
LittleWing

Postby sickgirliezele on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:42 pm

LittleWing wrote:There was a little corrosion, that I brushed up with a toothbrush, but other than that, not a thing.

nice, means it was built well. an old guitar was gifted to me when i was a kid and it just kind of sat in its case for years. my BIL decided to take a crack at it last year and all the wiring was FUCKED. it looked like the guy that gifted it to me was "fixing it" with his eyes closed.
I've got a little gun, here comes oblivion.
sickgirliezele
PRD Professor!

Postby MooMooMonster on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Ooh. That looks fantastic.
Is it just for display or do you plan on using it?
I'm always super curious how an old instrument sounds if it's been sitting around and dried out for a while.
MooMooMonster
PRD Professor!

Postby LittleWing on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:35 pm

MooMooMonster wrote:Ooh. That looks fantastic.
I'm always super curious how an old instrument sounds if it's been sitting around and dried out for a while.

I use it to make Grifter jealous. =P haha No, that's my only guitar that's not 12 string that I can play acoustically. It was made to be played and plays like a dream.
LittleWing

Postby voiddj on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:51 pm

That's one sexy looking guitar. Great job.
voiddj
PRD Professor!

Postby ComradeM on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Holy shit, look at those skillz! Looks great, man!
"Offer them what they secretly want and they of course immediately become panic-stricken."—Kerouac
ComradeM
PRD Professor!

Postby LittleWing on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:40 am

Thanks guyzzzzz. =D
LittleWing

Postby GrifterOI on Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:12 am

LittleWing wrote:
MooMooMonster wrote:Ooh. That looks fantastic.

I use it to make Grifter jealous. =P haha No, that's my only guitar that's not 12 string that I can play acoustically. It was made to be played and plays like a dream.

You ass... Hahaha, you do make me jealous with this gitfiddle, I will admit. But I'm glad it found its way into your capable hands.

Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.

GrifterOI

Postby Bandit on Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:55 pm

Wow, looks great!
Bandit
PRD Professor!

Postby just_icarus on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:55 pm

this looks incredible!! awesome job!
destroy / create
just_icarus