Dumpster Diving.

Face it, you probably drink PBR, and you're on a DIY site; so you like ideas on how to do things cheaply! And hey, that leftover cash can buy you some more ink! So share the thrifty tips here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Re: Dumpster Diving.

Postby Fuchsia on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:35 pm

I read something in the newspaper yesterday about a guy getting sued cause he "stole" 2 bags of muffins out of a supermarket dumpster, ridiculous. The owner actually ran after him in the streets and caught him, what an asshole. :roll:
I'll be very very disappointed if this guy actually gets punished for taking food that was going to get thrown away. And the other guy should get punished for being a dick.
And I know we have to go, I realize we always have to turn away, always have to go back to real lives
Fuchsia
PRD Professor!

Postby poorandweird on Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:27 am

a guy who nicked a PS3 and something else from a skip - in essence, 2 items that overall were worth 47p scrap, is getting slapped with a 20K fine. WTF?
YOU KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE
CAUSE IT'S THE POLITICS OF CRUELTY
THAT WE LIVE FOR
poorandweird
PRD Professor!

Postby CidErWhiskey on Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:24 am

20+ bags of potatoes
6 Eggs, best before was in date.
I don't even know how many bananas! I think I could say at least 50 bunches?
About 30 bags of carrots
A few vegetable curries
10 Bags of cookies
2 packs of crumpets
Fuck loads of tea bags
A few yoghurt's
3 chocolate sponge cakes

All of this was in date!

I'm thinking lots of soup and jacket potatoes over the next week or so.
Peace through powerviolence.
Distortion til deafness.
http://www.last.fm/user/Wedster
MCFC
CidErWhiskey
You deserve an award......

Postby poorandweird on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:01 am

impressive! the only place i know to go diving is behind uni buuut they only have sandwiches there usually
YOU KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE
CAUSE IT'S THE POLITICS OF CRUELTY
THAT WE LIVE FOR
poorandweird
PRD Professor!

Postby graveyard rabies on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:37 pm

recently my boyfriend and i have tried taking up dumpster diving and it seems like everywhere locks their trash cans or uses crushers. I have tried reading though here for ideas but also a lot of the posts are a couple/few years older, so i was wondering where everyone is going now that is a common place in the states, or at least the midwest. we've been collecting records from the half price books dumpsters and making record bowls
-Darling Brittany

"I was going to say homewrecker but skydiver is way more positive, probably safer."
-Weeds
graveyard rabies

Postby MissVicious on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:34 am

graveyard rabies wrote:recently my boyfriend and i have tried taking up dumpster diving and it seems like everywhere locks their trash cans or uses crushers. I have tried reading though here for ideas but also a lot of the posts are a couple/few years older, so i was wondering where everyone is going now that is a common place in the states, or at least the midwest. we've been collecting records from the half price books dumpsters and making record bowls

If the person is paying for private/corporation pickup, you shouldn't be diving their dumpsters in the states (because that is illegal and you CAN get in a lot of trouble).
Dig through trash cans that the state maintenance picks up, once it's in the can and on the curb, its public property and you are not trespassing.
http://kisszombies.etsy.com

formerly kisszombies

i just say...rock and roll bitch
MissVicious
PRD Professor!

Postby LittleWing on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:55 pm

I just got a brand new treadmill out of a dumpster behind a gym supply store!! =D
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight, and never stop fighting. -E.E. Cummings
LittleWing

Postby ruthiselvis on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:07 am

I'm not sure where is particularly good for dumpster diving in London, but I know when I close at work, when we throw things out I deliberately don't open the packaging (like we're supposed to) so in case someone does rifle through the bags, the sandwiches and stuff are still edible. It hurts me the amount Starbucks require us to chuck away though :cry:
ruthiselvis

Postby Kelsey_13 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:29 am

A lot of giant corporations HAVE to throw perfectly good food away because of lawsuits. Since they are watched so closely it's hard for them to not throw it all away. I work at walmart ( i know, i know they are the devil but its a paycheck i need) and we can at least donate to the food bank as long as the employees make sure it gets to the right place at the right time. We have to pull it 3 days before it expires and get it frozen. A lot of employees don't want to do the work but i try to make sure everything i see is available to donate.
When I got the music, I got a place to go.
Kelsey_13
DIY Demon

Postby freakbychoice on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:28 am

ruthiselvis wrote:I'm not sure where is particularly good for dumpster diving in London, but I know when I close at work, when we throw things out I deliberately don't open the packaging (like we're supposed to) so in case someone does rifle through the bags, the sandwiches and stuff are still edible. It hurts me the amount Starbucks require us to chuck away though :cry:

if it makes you feel any better, the one near the college I went to donated extras to the grief support center I interned at.
freakbychoice

Postby XZombieXPirateX on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:51 am

freakbychoice wrote:
ruthiselvis wrote:I'm not sure where is particularly good for dumpster diving in London, but I know when I close at work, when we throw things out I deliberately don't open the packaging (like we're supposed to) so in case someone does rifle through the bags, the sandwiches and stuff are still edible. It hurts me the amount Starbucks require us to chuck away though :cry:

if it makes you feel any better, the one near the college I went to donated extras to the grief support center I interned at.

I was a supervisor when worked there so I would just mark it as thrown away and let staff take it home, most of the people that worked with me were college kids so they appreciated the free lunch to take to school the next day.

XZombieXPirateX
PRD Professor!

Postby XZombieXPirateX on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:55 am

Vancouver has an overabundance of dumpster divers so everything is pretty well picked over. We've gotten some small furniture recently, people are nice and put the good usable stuff beside the bin instead of in it.

XZombieXPirateX
PRD Professor!

Postby Chula on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:15 am

You are having another baby? omg congrats i guess i need to check out prd ,ore often.
Chula
PRD Professor!

Postby XZombieXPirateX on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:47 am

Chula wrote:You are having another baby? omg congrats i guess i need to check out prd ,ore often.

Haha, yeah. Ladybutt is going to be 2 in October. I went back on BC but apparently the low dose pills don't work for me anymore because I had a chemical a while ago and then ended up preggo I think a month or 2 later. Oh well, no more after this.

XZombieXPirateX
PRD Professor!

Postby Chula on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:40 pm

a chemical?
Chula
PRD Professor!

PreviousNext

Return to On the cheap...