What's for dinner?

Cookin' on the cheap? Need creative recipes? Can you cook a four-star meal with free condiments?
Then share your tricks!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

What's for dinner?

Postby ComradeM on Tue May 24, 2011 11:31 pm

When I'm looking for cooking inspiration, I'll often text my best friend and ask what's for dinner, so I figured if we have what are you reading/listening to/wearing threads, why not widen the circle of inspiration and maybe stimulate some more recipe sharing in ye olde recipe thread.

So, folks...what's for dinner!?

(and I can't start cuz I ordered in tonight..oops..haha)
"Offer them what they secretly want and they of course immediately become panic-stricken."—Kerouac
ComradeM
PRD Professor!

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby just_icarus on Tue May 24, 2011 11:54 pm

well for lunch tomorrow i'm making wheat berry tabouli to put on top of just a normal green salad, and i'm making some kind of indian lentil-spinach-veggie jawn.
destroy / create
just_icarus
PRD Professor!

Postby sickgirliezele on Wed May 25, 2011 12:45 am

tonight i had the oddest combo teriyaki chicken and white rice which i then smothered in tomatillo salsa.

it was actually pretty good.

tomorrow night i have school so chances are i'm actually not going to be eating dinner.. however i'll see if i can remember a few dishes i've made at home that were pretty awesome.

you'd think being in culinary school, i'd remember to write down my recipes but i never do..
I've got a little gun, here comes oblivion.
sickgirliezele
PRD Professor!

Postby just_icarus on Wed May 25, 2011 1:10 am

sickgirliezele wrote:tonight i had the oddest combo teriyaki chicken and white rice which i then smothered in tomatillo salsa.

you'd think being in culinary school, i'd remember to write down my recipes but i never do..

i almost never do either. sigh.
destroy / create
just_icarus
PRD Professor!

Postby ZsaZsa on Wed May 25, 2011 9:32 am

ZsaZsa
You're getting the hang of it!

Postby BellezzaImpavida on Wed May 25, 2011 11:26 am

FRIED RICE

Makes 2 decent servings.

Leftover (or at least room temp) cooked rice (any variety; brown rice is what we keep), about 2 cups
2 or 3 carrots, sliced, diced, julienned, whatever
2 or 3 green onions, sliced, white and green parts kept separated
frozen peas
soy sauce
sriracha
2 eggs

I heat some oil in a pan over med-high heat, just enough to lightly coat the bottom, and add the carrots and the white parts of the onions. Saute a few minutes and then they get moved to the side of the pan.

Then I scramble my eggs in the newly-made space and add the rice, green peas, enough soy sauce to pour around the pan a few times (unless I am currently using one of those big jugs that don't have the pour-control top; in that case I just estimate something similar) and as much sriracha as I think I can stand. Then everything gets mixed together in the pan and cooked a few minutes, stirring often, maybe even constantly. I'll give it a little taste and adjust seasonings.

Then I sprinkles the green parts of the onions over the top, turn the heat up a few notches and leave for a couple minutes for some hawt browning action. I usually take this time to clean up a bit.

Note: There's this black bean chili sauce that I had until recently (came from the Asian market) and I would throw a tablespoon (and maybe a half) of that in, too. I love this flavor. Anything else you have that you think would work, hell, try it. 8)
BellezzaImpavida

Postby NutMeg on Wed May 25, 2011 1:52 pm

Last night I had chicken stir fry over white rice covered in sriracha... Food hasn't been tasting good so the only way I can eat is if I cover everything in hot sauce. :(
NutMeg
PRD Professor!

Postby opiiate on Wed May 25, 2011 5:03 pm

Tonight is fish and chips, I'm coating the fish in crushed corn flakes +cornmeal + epic spices, and roasting some potatoes in the oven with lots of spices etc.
opiiate
PRD Professor!

Postby miss.hell on Wed May 25, 2011 5:19 pm

totally gross health food..mushrooms, zuchini, sardines and basil
http://boiledbones.tumblr.com
AIM: misshelltexasoi
miss.hell
PRD Professor!

Postby hannahell on Wed May 25, 2011 11:42 pm

miss.hell wrote:totally gross health food..mushrooms, zuchini, sardines and basil

aside from the sardines that sounds fucking delicious.
hannahell
PRD Professor!

Postby just_icarus on Thu May 26, 2011 12:07 am

tomorrow i'm having a green salad with roasted vegetables, wheat berry tabouli, and bulgarian feta for lunch. probably a dijon vinaigrette with that. dinner will probably be the indian lentil jawn i made last night.
destroy / create
just_icarus
PRD Professor!

Postby just_icarus on Thu May 26, 2011 12:08 am

oh also today i had an enormous burrito with plantain, indian spiced spinach, guac, black beans, rice, and obscene amounts of valentina. SO. GOOD.
destroy / create
just_icarus
PRD Professor!

Postby poorandweird on Thu May 26, 2011 3:12 am

i havent really eaten properly for a few days because i was hospitalised Tuesday night lol, now i've stopped puking i'm going to make a shit ton of curry or fajitas or something like that tonight
YOU KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE
CAUSE IT'S THE POLITICS OF CRUELTY
THAT WE LIVE FOR
poorandweird
PRD Professor!

Postby namelesswonder on Fri May 27, 2011 11:13 am

My favorites:
-egg noodles with gravy (flavor of your choice) and swedish meatballs (frozen foods section)
-rice and gravy (and anything else you want, we like broccoli and chicken sometimes)
-chicken parm (frozen patties make this faster/easier/cheaper if you get enough for more meals)
-Veggie stir fry (we keep it simple with

CHICKEN RICE. Eat it with anything. You make it with chicken broth instead of water, in a shallow sauce pan (like a frying pan but with straight edges). As the broth starts to go down, add more broth until the rice is just covered. Keep doing this until you're out of broth and then add water as you need to make sure you have the best sticky rice ever. I bet this would be tasty with veggie broth too.
Introduce a little anarchy, you upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.
My blog - updated regularly about no particular thing.
namelesswonder
PRD Professor!

Postby opiiate on Fri May 27, 2011 11:20 am

poorandweird wrote:i havent really eaten properly for a few days because i was hospitalised Tuesday night lol, now i've stopped puking i'm going to make a shit ton of curry or fajitas or something like that tonight

woaaaaaaaaaaaaaah are you alright alice?
opiiate
PRD Professor!

Next

Return to Recipes...