Looking for records

Thanx to Trish, we added this little area to post up what you're listening to right now. No need for lenghtly reviews or counter-reviews... just a quick place to post your favorite track to kick butt to...

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Looking for records

Postby Draize Test on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:57 pm

I've been buying a lot of vinyl on eBay, and most of what I've found is good/exactly what I'm looking for, but there are some artists I just can't find things by. I do look at local record shops, but where else do you shop for vintage vinyl?
Draize Test
You deserve an award......

Re: Looking for records

Postby NutMeg on Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:33 pm

Antique stores!!!! I have found wonderful albums there. Flea markets and estate sales. I have got some records worth bucks at each of these... including the Beatles first album, first pressing MINT for a buck. (I hate the Beatles with a passion but it's worth some monies!)
NutMeg
PRD Professor!

Postby DomesticAbuseDEB on Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:36 pm

I started buying records at flee markets when my ipod broke(and i have no computer most of the time). I had to improvise a little on what im willing to listen to and enjoy but i still found some pretty great stuff. for instance i found the english beat and im a huge cyndi lauper fan now hahaha.
Abusing domestic standards since 1990.
-DEB!
STOP THE NEGLECT! neuter or spay your animals.
DomesticAbuseDEB

Postby miss.hell on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:09 pm

what are you looking for ?
http://boiledbones.tumblr.com
AIM: misshelltexasoi
miss.hell
PRD Professor!

Postby voiddj on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Besides eBay there's Discogs; http://www.discogs.com/ I've only brought electronic music via their marketplace but they have allsorts listed
voiddj
PRD Professor!

Postby Draize Test on Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:17 pm

I do look in antique shops, but all I've fund in orchestral stuff and guy lombardo.

I'm looking for old garage stuff; The Gruesomes, Count Five, Gravedigger V, Syndicats, Fuzztones...that type of thing.
Draize Test

Postby thepossessed87 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:22 pm

For out of print stuff, like early garage records, Discogs is really, really great. For me, I browse that site and there are a few reliable record stores in my city. Personally, I don't like ebay.
thepossessed87

Postby thepossessed87 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:27 pm

norton records is also really good for garage/power pop/punk/etc.
Weirdo records (out of my fair city- cambridge, ma, but they have a nice online distro) is really good for garage/psyche/punk
Forced Exposure is also a distro out of massachusetts that's very good
thepossessed87

Postby Draize Test on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:38 pm

eBay is good for some things, I've got a few 7" off there I'm very happy with. The only CD I bought off there turned out not so great though.
Discogs does have a better selection, I'm having an easier time finding things on there. There are a few albums I've seen on there that I haven't seen on eBay and I'm super happy about it. Still haven't found a vinyl copy of Tyrants Of Teen Trash, but its looking hopeful.

There aren't any cassette listings on there though. I've been going through and finding things that I have on there and there are no cassettes listed anywhere.
Draize Test

Postby thepossessed87 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:07 am

i just don't like the whole ebay culture of record collectors who BID HARD and make punk records go for 75 dollars, ya know? i feel like it's a very small minority of people who don't reflect record listeners as a whole, but are making a big impact on the price of good shit! anyways..
thepossessed87

Postby NutMeg on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:43 am

It's more fun for me to go to yard sales, thrift stores, flea markets, and estate sales. I love digging and digging and finding that diamond in the rough. It's a rush for me :)
NutMeg
PRD Professor!

Postby Draize Test on Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:54 am

There have been more than a few records I've bid on and it'll get ridiculously high. There are some people who get it just for collections and don't appreciate it. I'd never buy a record just to let it sit on a shelf.

I love to take my time to look for records too, its just frustrating when you've gone through every single local shop and there's never anything new in.
Draize Test

Return to Sound advice...