The Business of Being Born

This area is for the mammas - face it, you've got the most important job in the world, you deserve your own corner on here!!!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

The Business of Being Born

Postby _soldmysoultorocknroll_ on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:58 pm

For those who haven't seen this fascinating documentary about the state of america's maternity care should defiantly watch it. It features independent midwives performing home births, compared to hospital births. Theres lots of facts, opinions and interesting views in it.

Everyone should watch it, its VERY eyeopening and I found it extremely helpful as I'm going to study midwifery this year.

click the link:
http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=8597620254789409121
_soldmysoultorocknroll_
DIY Demon

Re: The Business of Being Born

Postby Chula on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:48 am

Definately a must see! This movie is what sealed the deal with me,that I would vbac at home with a midwife.
Chula
PRD Professor!

Postby Nallely on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:45 pm

I agree, this movie was definately an eye opener. Made me realize just how much people dont question anymore and that women are strong!
Nallely
You deserve an award......

Postby Nallely on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:45 pm

oh, and I cried everytime a baby was born!
Nallely

Postby neverfeltprettier on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:06 am

Wow, I watched this last night and it's fascinating! I never realised how different the birthing process is in the States... In the UK (and I guess most of the rest of the world?!) the norm is to have a midwife attended delivery, whether at home or in the hospital. There's only a doctor present if there are complications predicted or if something requires medical intervention during the delivery!

I didn't know how high the caesarian rate is in the States! It really does seem like it's all down to money and wanting to get a high turnover of women through the doors! Totally screwed up. I couldn't believe how sceptical the doctors were of midwives either! What's that all about?!
neverfeltprettier

Postby bethanphetamine on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:40 pm

i am so thankful this movie was made!!! it's so awesome!

it's so absolutely interesting to learn the history of childbirth in the US. and crazy!
bethanphetamine
bethanphetamine
DIY Demon

Postby _soldmysoultorocknroll_ on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:23 pm

Glad you all enjoyed watching it :D
_soldmysoultorocknroll_
DIY Demon

Postby redmuserenegade on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:28 pm

This was a fantastic doc.

I'm in the military still so I don't have a lot of choices with healthcare but here in Hawaii the hospital has a midwife program and this documentary was moving enough that I'm switching over and going natural with my baby. I never realized how much we "first timers" succumb to fear of delivery and just "Assume" we will need drugs. I've decided to give my body a chance and at least try to really experience my baby being born.

Oh, and go midwiveS! I respect the hell out of you gals/guys.
redmuserenegade
DIY Demon

Postby allgoodgirlsarepagan on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:17 pm

I'm really glad the movie was made because it publicizes the whole birth issue. Sometimes it feels like certain issues are only raised in certain areas...
allgoodgirlsarepagan

Postby _soldmysoultorocknroll_ on Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:55 pm

Thats awesome redmuserenegade! good for you, I mean your body is made for the process of birth so why not experience it fully! I hope you get the birth you want, it'll be truly beautiful if you do :D
_soldmysoultorocknroll_
DIY Demon

Postby neverfeltprettier on Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:32 pm

Hey, I just realised you said you were going to study midwifery this year! Which uni? I'm just starting my 2nd year of nursing at Kings :-)

_soldmysoultorocknroll_ wrote:Everyone should watch it, its VERY eyeopening and I found it extremely helpful as I'm going to study midwifery this year.
neverfeltprettier

Postby jessiegrrrl on Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:04 pm

I just watched it about two days ago with my boyfriend and we were shocked at some of the statistics, especially in comparison to other countries. Although I'd be terrified of a natural home birth (or perhaps, birth in general!), it's definitely the route I'd go, especially knowing a few women who did it and were so happy with their choice.

So weird, right after I watched it I was going to come start a thread on it, and the next time I have a minute to check PRD, there it is! Hah.

Anyway, I thought this doc was incredible. I'd like to watch it a second time and I recommend it highly to any woman!!!
the deeper i go
the less light will show
the places i creep
in the deep
jessiegrrrl
PRD Professor!

Postby _soldmysoultorocknroll_ on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:51 am

I'll be at middlesex! Kings didn't want me lol :)
_soldmysoultorocknroll_
DIY Demon

Postby frankenmama on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:50 am

this documentary is amazing, and extremely informative. i decided on a water birth at home for my son in December after seeing this.
frankenmama

Postby [bettie braaains] on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:09 pm

i FINALLY watched this the other night and loveddddd it. it's definitely made me decide to consider this if / when Nick and i decide to have another little one.. i told Nick about it and he was weirded out about it.. one of these days i'm gonna try to make him watch it with me, but that's gonna take a lot of convincing.. i think i burned him out with all the baby shows i watched when i was pregnant haha
[bettie braaains]

Next

Return to Momma Mayhem