all about bananas (not recipes but...)

This is the place for those strange things you do every day... the crazy things you learned from your grandmother, or from desperation, that you think the world should know about. For god sake, White Out was started by a desperate house wife and some flour!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Re: all about bananas (not recipes but...)

Postby dinotoria on Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:23 pm

Nom nom nom. I love bananas!
Health benefits are just an added plus.

I HATE when they get spots though. I like them when they've just turned completely yellow. When they've just got that lighter sweet taste they're perfect.

I always like more friends!
Facebook
Myspace
dinotoria
PRD Professor!

Postby poorandweird on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:16 am

gemma_mct wrote:yeah apparently bananas give off ethanol so when you want to ripen other fruits let them ripen next to some bananas, but not for too long because it happens faster than you think. i've always liked bananas, i used to eat banana sandwiches when i was little and i've loved them ever since. also banana can be used to bind things together if you are vegan and not using eggs for baking which I think is really cool. bananas are great :)

IT'S NOT ETHANOL IT'S ETHENE GAS

sorry, i had to clear this up it was bugging me to hell.

ANYWAY

yes keep bananas away from flowers or other fruit because ethene causes ripening.

Apparently putting a silver coin in a vase of flowers keeps them fresh for longer cause silver salts inhibit ethene production... i wonder if it'd do the same to bananas?

ALSO bananas help you sleepy sleep because of the tryptophan, it makes y'all sleepy
YOU KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE
CAUSE IT'S THE POLITICS OF CRUELTY
THAT WE LIVE FOR
poorandweird
PRD Professor!

Postby poorandweird on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:18 am

and also most bananas in the UK are fairtrade now so it's less unethical. I think they still have to be flown a long way though.

FUN BANANA FACT: bananas are triploid which is why you don't get male and female bananas, and it's also why they're sterile!
THAT WE LIVE FOR
poorandweird
PRD Professor!

Postby RobynGraves13 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:16 am

nikki626 wrote:the fridge thing...as bananas ripen and start to brown, the fridge actually makes them brown faster, thus making your bananas go bad more quickly.

keeping them away from other fruit...this is just a guess, but here goes...ya know how whenyou get avocados n they're not quite ripe n to speed up the ripening you put them in a paper bag n they ripen faster? well, that happens cuz the gases given off by the fruit helps speed up the process. so i'm guessing that byhaving bananas near other fruits giving off gases it may speed up the ripening of your nanners...

brown nanners...in case anyone doesn't know, brown spots on nanners is actually a GOOD thing. the brown isn't rot, it's sugar oxidizing, meaning that naners with a few brown spots are sweeter than nanners with no brown spots. but also, if your nanner is almost blakk then i would probably find a newer nanner...

and thanx for all the great info on nanners....i'm sure to be passing this along to my friends =)

This is really interesting, now i'm not afraid to eat slightly brown bananas! Also, your constant use of "nanner" make me giggle
RobynGraves13
DIY Demon

Postby Max on Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:09 am

Hey, not to argue with the main thrust, which is that bananas are good for you- but I've got a few quibbles.
First- the term "going bananas" doesn't really appear until the 1960's, and the etymology is more than a bit uncertain. Most likely, it's a variation on the older "going Ape", but it could also refer to the use of primates in the space program, or alcoholic beverages made in Southeast Asia. Regardless, it's military in origin, and up until the 1990's wasn't seen as a positive thing.
Also, some of the studies cited are made up. On top of that, the science wouldn't back up a Tryptophan= mood alteration connection. Tryptophan is simply an amino acid, and the author is referring to one variant L-tryptophan, which, if taken without ANYTHING else might produce some serotonin, and melatonin, but not enough to alter mood. The problem is that the banana contains other things. Primarily, the small lift from a banana (or any other fruit) would come from the carbs, and related sugars.
Also, I'm seeing some half-right follow up- the plant hormone is Ethylene, and it stimulates the production of amylase. Amylase breaks down the starch in the banana fiber to create more sugars. Ethylene also stimulates pectinase which softens the starch by breaking down the pectins (which are good for you) - so, bottom line, an over-ripe banana is less good for you than an under-ripe banana.
What the Banana is actually good for is electrolytes, and fiber- specifically the potassium, and the long-chain starches.
Oh, and two caveats- watch out for bananas if you have a latex allergy as they can trigger a reaction, and watch out if you have diabetes- an over-ripe banana can have enough sugar to have effects.
Also, somebody mentioned the distances, etc- yes, carbon footprint, fair trade, organic, etc- there are some serious environmental and political downsides.
Again, bananas are good, and right up there with blueberries, Salmon, leafy greens, Yams, Mangoes and Watermelon. But I just want the good, without garnishing the truth, you know?
And so you gotta be strong You've got to just speak in tongues About how you belong
In popular culture - dEUS
Max
PRD Professor!

Postby kitten228 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:04 pm

I love bananas that are cut up and frozen for about 2 hours....they taste like ice cream.
kitten228
DIY Demon

Postby poorandweird on Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:29 pm

Lol i just googled it i didn't realise that ethylene and ethene were the same chemical... i presume ethene's just what youd call it in like a chem textbook or something

overripe bananas are good to bake with cause they're a lot sweeter tasting and softer
THAT WE LIVE FOR
poorandweird
PRD Professor!

Postby miss.hell on Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:49 pm

after reading this i made the best smoothie
1 nanna
1 large cup of ice
1 large cup of OJ
a tsp of vanilla
a small like coffee cup of vanilla almond milk
honey or agave to taste
and then blend that shit fuckers it lasted me 2 days
http://boiledbones.tumblr.com
AIM: misshelltexasoi
miss.hell
PRD Professor!

Postby Max on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:35 pm

poorandweird wrote:Lol i just googled it i didn't realise that ethylene and ethene were the same chemical... i presume ethene's just what youd call it in like a chem textbook or something

overripe bananas are good to bake with cause they're a lot sweeter tasting and softer

You're right that Ethylene and ethene are close enough to not count a difference- but the point missed was that Ethylene merely stimulates the production of Amylase, which is what actually breaks down the starches. So, the bananas are on their ripening track, regardless- the chemistry is already set. However, if you can inhibit the amylase production in other things, then, the banana won't cause those other things to flower, or ripen , or lose leaves, hence the commercial use of 1-MCP in transporting flowers.
And so you gotta be strong You've got to just speak in tongues About how you belong
Max
PRD Professor!

Postby miss.hell on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:25 pm

max ive never had a reaction to bananas and allergic to latex but it could be that i eat like 3 a year.....i have heard the same for avacados and grapes too which give me kind of like flush of the face
http://boiledbones.tumblr.com
AIM: misshelltexasoi
miss.hell
PRD Professor!

Postby Max on Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:21 pm

miss.hell wrote:max ive never had a reaction to bananas and allergic to latex but it could be that i eat like 3 a year.....i have heard the same for avacados and grapes too which give me kind of like flush of the face

Around half of all people with latex allergy have allergic reactions when eating particular foods including avocado, banana, chestnut, kiwifruit, passionfruit, plum, strawberry and tomato. It has to do with the proteins being similar to those in latex. The reactions don't tend to be real strong, however; generally a bit of tingling and some upper respitory problems. There are a few, however that with repeated exposure can get really pretty ill- like breathing problems type ill- hence not the best idea to OD on guacamole or eat a ton of bananas.
Max
PRD Professor!

Postby kissmycombatboots on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:59 am

i love bananas, but i avoid eating them in the fall because i have ragweed allergies. whenever i eat them around ragweed season, my throat gets all itchy. my mom said it's because bananas and ragweed have enough of the same proteins in them to trigger my allergies up. i found out the name here:
http://www.freshplaza.com/news_detail.asp?id=5883
turns out it's pretty common!
--Aliz

kissmycombatboots
PRD Professor!

Postby LittleWing on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:41 pm

theCutestPinCushion wrote:
SophieCatastrophe wrote: Also, they last longer if you keep them away from other fruit - not sure why though!

bananas secretly hate other fruits. idk i just made that up.

haha I love you.
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight, and never stop fighting. -E.E. Cummings
LittleWing
You deserve an award......

Postby graveyard rabies on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:26 am

this is neat, im defiantly spreading it to my friends.

my boyfriend was talking to his sister about bananas the other day and she said "i dont like bananas, they are too spicy". when he informed her that they arent spicy but sweet she realized shes been allergic to them her whole life.
-Darling Brittany

"I was going to say homewrecker but skydiver is way more positive, probably safer."
-Weeds
graveyard rabies
You deserve an award......

Postby HollyGolightly on Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:02 pm

i'm honestly not surprised at this at all...

all fruit does good in all sorts of ways.
i've even heard that apple seeds can help fight cancer..
funny thing is, eat too many and it's bad for u..

i've also heard and can vouch for this one..
that milk is great for hangovers and heartburn...
also, milk and just sitting out in the sun can help with hangovers...
so, grab a glass of strawberry milk (my fav.) and your bathing suit the morning after and go sit by the pool.. lol....
I'd like to die..
with the songs I love stuck in head....
HollyGolightly
You're getting the hang of it!

PreviousNext

Return to Random tips...