Charlaine Harris

Share some good books! Oprah has a book club, but NO, I don't want to read Dr. Phil!!!!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Re: Charlaine Harris

Postby marisolbterrible on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:38 pm

i love all her books i'm on from dead to worse...i haven't watched the show yet, but I hear it's pretty sexy
Marisol n Moses, proof that kool kids belong together
marisolbterrible
You deserve an award......

Postby hell_kitten on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:41 pm

sycho in the saddle wrote:I don't mean to offend anyone but what's with all the Vampire stuff out now? I don't understand.

Have you read any of the books? The southern vampire books are great storires. Very entertaining, fast-paced, and interesting. That's why people like them. . .
Who sent me a turd in the mail?
hell_kitten
PRD Professor!

Postby hell_kitten on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:21 am

Also, to me, I don't understand how vampires would not be appealing. I mean, they live forever but never age, get to have super-senses, move really really quickly, and fuck like a champ. What's not to like?
Who sent me a turd in the mail?
hell_kitten
PRD Professor!

Postby courtpants on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:01 am

She is such an amazing author. I think I read all of her books in about a month.. and have been waiting since like June for the next one to come out. It's painful, but I'd rather her take a year to put out a book than pop them out like crazy and loose depth (*cough* Laurell K. Hamilton *cough*)
courtpants

Postby courtpants on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:02 am

sycho in the saddle wrote:I don't mean to offend anyone but what's with all the Vampire stuff out now? I don't understand.

A lot of this stuff has been out for a long time, but since Twilight got big, it's starting to get noticed.
courtpants

Postby ghouliina on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:47 am

love the books, hate the stupid show True Blood.

she actually changed the name of the series from the "southern vampire series"
to the "sookie stackhouse/true blood" series.

>:|
ghouliina
PRD Professor!

Postby courtpants on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:29 pm

ghouliina wrote:love the books, hate the stupid show True Blood.

There are some parts of the show that I actually like. I think Anna Paquin was a really good choice for Sookie, and I like the actress they casted for Pam. I do wish it was a little more true to the books..
courtpants

Postby ghouliina on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:02 pm

courtpants wrote:

There are some parts of the show that I actually like. I think Anna Paquin was a really good choice for Sookie, and I like the actress they casted for Pam. I do wish it was a little more true to the books..

yeah, i don't know, i just have problems with things when i read the book first because then i build up what the character should look like in my mind and if what's on the screen doesn't match i don't like it.

i think the show also made vampires way "cooler" than they used to be, in addition to twilight.

seriously, everyone made fun of me in the 6th grade for reading these books... :/
ghouliina
PRD Professor!

Postby courtpants on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:50 pm

ghouliina wrote:
courtpants wrote:

yeah, i don't know, i just have problems with things when i read the book first because then i build up what the character should look like in my mind and if what's on the screen doesn't match i don't like it.

i think the show also made vampires way "cooler" than they used to be, in addition to twilight.

seriously, everyone made fun of me in the 6th grade for reading these books... :/

I agree. My mom loves Anne Rice, so I had already read most of her books by the time I got to middle school. I was a vampire for like three Halloweens when I was little, and I actually got sent home in Kindergarten for it because I scared too many kids. It took a while for people to catch up to me, because obviously I was the cool one the whole time.
courtpants

Postby ghouliina on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:40 pm

courtpants wrote:It took a while for people to catch up to me, because obviously I was the cool one the whole time.

hahaha EXACTLY.
ghouliina
PRD Professor!

Postby horribell on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:21 pm

Welp, at the risk of sounding like a jerk, I'm going to disagree with the popular consensus and say that PERSONALLY I found the Charlaine Harris Southern Vamp books AND the Anita Blake series to be absolute crap. Awful writing on both parts. Both authors are vague in details and can't paint a picture to save their soul, have limited vocabularies and often repeat the same "frilly" words in different tenses a half dozen times on the same page, and have incredibly bland, boring characters. I seriously had to FORCE myself through the Southern Vamp series and gave up after book 2 in the Anita Blake series because it made me want to put my head through a wall. Both series had great potential but were very poorly written. I don't mean to offend anyone who enjoys them... more power to ya. I just couldn't handle them.... not even as "brain candy" reading. Style-wise, I think even Stephanie Meyer managed to do a better job of creating well rounded characters.

In addition, I think HBO spruced up the Sookie Stackhouse stuff nicely. The books had great potential with a good plot, just lacked some badly needed detail. I really enjoy all the supporting characters in the HBO series and I think if the books had this kind of character development, they may have been more enjoyable, regardless of the bad writing.

If you want to read a good vampire series, pick up Anne Rice. It's no coincidence that she gets the praise she does.
horribell

Previous

Return to Good reading...