Vaccines!

This is the place for those strange things you do every day... the crazy things you learned from your grandmother, or from desperation, that you think the world should know about. For god sake, White Out was started by a desperate house wife and some flour!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Re: Vaccines!

Postby tague on Sun May 10, 2009 6:26 pm

yeah. my school, you get the choice of being banned from going to class or getting boosters for everything if you don't have either your shot record or a note from your doctor explaining why you medically can't get the vaccines.
tague
PRD Professor!

Postby kisszombies on Fri May 29, 2009 11:56 am

i've only gotten my baby/childhood vaccines; and one of the HPV shots out of three.
im not going back for the other 2. i had a very bad (local) reaction that i dont want to go through 2 more times.
besides, i have only one partner in a monogamous relationship.

i think that vaccines are a waste of time for most illnesses and most adult people.
kisszombies
PRD Professor!

Postby NoRestForTheWicked on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:16 pm

I got the basic vaccines. My parents only wanted me to have the serious diseases covered. They were kinda iffy about all the vaccines that were popping up they hadn't heard of.

I did get the chicken pox vaccine one year because my cousins all had it and I had to go stay with them because my parents were going out of town. I still got it though, so it's really a hit or miss. They're not full proof.

My kids will only get vaccines for serious diseases. None of this bullshit about chicken pox or the flu or whatever. I want them healthy, and it seems to me both sides of the issue have their risks. But I'd rather them not get polio.
NoRestForTheWicked
You're getting the hang of it!

Postby Max on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:59 am

Just thought I should bring back this dead thread to post a link to the latest issue of Wired Magazine that has something to say on the topic:
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/10/ff_waronscience
I'm not endorsing anything, just pointing something out for y'all- I still don't want to be part of any controversies
And so you gotta be strong You've got to just speak in tongues About how you belong
In popular culture - dEUS
Max
PRD Professor!

Postby Chula on Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:04 pm

That doesn't change my view at all ,but thanks for sharing interesting read nontheless
Chula
PRD Professor!

Postby jessiegrrrl on Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:58 pm

I don't want to get into any debates about vaccinating your kids or not, because I am divided on the issue myself. There are certain shots that I feel comfortable with, and others I absolutely do not, and feel are quite unnecessary.

That being said, I don't believe in seasonal flu shots for healthy adults. Why on earth would you want to put something new and foreign into your body every single year? Unless it's a necessity, such as in certain professions, or due to age, etc. I don't think it's a good idea. You just never know. I feel like I'd rather get the flu than take the risks involved with a vaccine that was just developed, and changes yearly. There are PLENTY of people who keep themselves safe and healthy and haven't been sick with a seasonal cold/flu in years. Even decades. They eat well, take precautions, get adequate rest, and are not otherwise at risk. Did anyone else read about when swine flu broke out in the 70s, and the vaccine for it became very popular - even mandatory, I think - and more people were harmed by that than the actual swine flu? Hmm... I can't find the article I read right now, but I'd like to find it again, if anyone else sees something along those lines, fact check me.

Anyway, this clip I just saw the other day is relevant to this issue... And quite frightening...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8riAeGh48U
the deeper i go
the less light will show
the places i creep
in the deep
jessiegrrrl
PRD Professor!

Postby Suzette on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:34 pm

I have the impression that in the US there's much more a 'vaccination culture' than in Europe. I mean, I'd never heard of healthy people getting flu jabs, or kids getting vaccinated against chickenpox.. until I read this thread.

I had the flu jab for the first time yesterday. I have an auto immune disease and ended up in hospital with flu last year, so my doctors kind of forced me to. I am going to get the vaccin for swine flu in November, too. People with my type of illness can die from swine flu, I'm in the highest risk category, I'd rather not have the jab but it's necessary. I had almost forgotten what it felt like to get a vaccine, I haven't had any since I was 12, but now I remember... my arm is sore!
"By God," says he, "I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."
Suzette
You deserve an award......

Postby BluDDie_Nukkles_Zanna on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Suzette wrote:I have the impression that in the US there's much more a 'vaccination culture' than in Europe. I mean, I'd never heard of healthy people getting flu jabs, or kids getting vaccinated against chickenpox.. until I read this thread.

I had the flu jab for the first time yesterday. I have an auto immune disease and ended up in hospital with flu last year, so my doctors kind of forced me to. I am going to get the vaccin for swine flu in November, too. People with my type of illness can die from swine flu, I'm in the highest risk category, I'd rather not have the jab but it's necessary. I had almost forgotten what it felt like to get a vaccine, I haven't had any since I was 12, but now I remember... my arm is sore!

Yeah, one of my professors is from Germany and this was the first year that he ever got a flu shot... he got really sick from it too. I've stopped getting them, because I usually still get the flu even when i get the shot. I also only took one Gardasil shot because my mom wanted me to get it, but I had a horrible reaction to it and researched the side effects and didnt return for the other two shots.
BluDDie_Nukkles_Zanna
PRD Professor!

Postby Wolfmoon on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:06 pm

Max wrote:Just thought I should bring back this dead thread to post a link to the latest issue of Wired Magazine that has something to say on the topic:
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/10/ff_waronscience
I'm not endorsing anything, just pointing something out for y'all- I still don't want to be part of any controversies

Max, I sincerely enjoy reading your posts. Thanks for this!
Oh dios mio!
Matado El Pollo Loco!
Bastardos!

The truth about PETA
Wolfmoon
You deserve an award......

Previous

Return to Random tips...