Leraning to Drive

Quick tips for on the road and about town. Those little strange uses for random thingies.... Post it here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Leraning to Drive

Postby glampunkbarbiedoll on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:30 am

I just turned 19 and I still don't know how to drive. I waited so long because at 16 I didn't feel ready. I din't think about much until I turned 18. Now that I have a car (my parents gave to me) I want to learn to drive but no one is trying to help me. I don't have many friends so I don't have anyone else to ask. I suppose I could go to a driving school but it seems really expensive. I don't know what to do so basically I am asking for some advice.
glampunkbarbiedoll
You deserve an award......

Re: Leraning to Drive

Postby NutMeg on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:32 am

Your parents? I would ask them first.
NutMeg
PRD Professor!

Postby glampunkbarbiedoll on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:13 am

NutMeg wrote:Your parents? I would ask them first.

Yeah they act like they dont care about the things I want to do and my mom ignores me when I talk anyway so I dont bother. My dad doesnt have a liscense.
glampunkbarbiedoll

Postby SillySawa on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:20 am

I would MAKE them sit down and listen to you and TELL, your mom at least, that you have to start learning how to drive. whats the point of a car when you can't use it? driving schools are good but you still need to go out and practice in between, so regardless of what you do, you need to tell your parents to fucking do something to help you out.
"I don't care about what they say.

I won't live or die that way."
SillySawa

Postby glampunkbarbiedoll on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:30 am

myabe if i keep bugging her it might work.....
glampunkbarbiedoll

Postby NutMeg on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:40 am

I wouldn't "bug" her about it. Maybe ask why they bought you a car knowing that you can't drive. Kinda like buying a diabetic candy. Ask her when it would work out for her to take you out to practice. She will most likely respond better if you ask nicely. Offer to help her do something in return?
NutMeg
PRD Professor!

Postby SillySawa on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:58 am

yeah what I wrote came out differently than what I meant.

I do mean sit them down and make them listen to you if she really does ignore you every time you talk.

but yeah, being nice a respectful is the number 1 thing right now. I think I just got aggravated because I was in a situation like that for a while.
"I don't care about what they say.

I won't live or die that way."
SillySawa

Postby glampunkbarbiedoll on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:06 am

They didnt but it for me my mom bought a new car and gave me her old one.
glampunkbarbiedoll

Postby lemon dropkick on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:56 am

Basically every time I ever drove with my mom she screamed at me the whole time and I had to stop the car because I was crying so hard. I mean, sure people have offered to take me driving before, but they'd do it maybe once in like a parking lot or something. Now, I'm 24 years old without a license. There's really no reason for me to drive, but it makes me feel like a child compared to other people, and I can't see my out of state family/friends as much as I'd like

Maybe try an aunt or uncle or cousin and just tell them your mom is too busy to teach you, Or call your local high school about driver's ed, it may cost you a little $$$ though.
People ask where murder city is, I say it's in my heart.
lemon dropkick
PRD Professor!

Postby caseystilletto on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:29 am

I would just make it a point to get your parents to pay for drivers ed...so they won't have to bother to teach you. You don't just learn how to drive in drivers ed, you also learn about safety on the road and other important stuff. Sometimes Sears has a driving school as a part of their auto division. I think it's totally worth the money, especially if you have never really driven.
caseystilletto
PRD Professor!

Postby luckylucy on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:37 am

I didn't feal ready when I first got my dirivers permit at 15. I mean I was excited, but scared to peices.
Luckily though, I had a neighbor who I ended up driving with a lot.
My mother is a massive spaz, and so I HATED driving with her, it was awful. She would scream, and yell and try to shift gears for me, massive suck.
BUT since you are 19, you only have to learn to drive until you are comfurtable. You don't have to do the year of permit driving, so if you wanted to today you could take the drivers test.
I would suggest that you get a drivers ed manual, and canook one of your parents into the car, and just go.
Cafefully, but it's the best way to learn. By just doing it.
luckylucy

Postby namelesswonder on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:20 am

Doing Drivers Ed makes insurance a little cheaper, I believe, so for that reason, it's worth it. And it does go over the laws of the road, which is useful. The driving time for driver's ed (I think you still have to do it even when over 18 in the US) is only really worth it if you've already practiced driving. They just take you out on some bigger roads to see how you're doing, essentially.

You say your friends aren't "trying" to help you, does that mean you're waiting for them to offer, or you're going around and asking for help?
Introduce a little anarchy, you upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.
My blog - updated regularly about no particular thing.
namelesswonder
PRD Professor!

Postby fif on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:43 pm

I like the idea of your parents helping you out paying for driving school. Im 21 years old and still terrified to drive, so i dont have my license. But now that im pregnant i need it so im going to take a driving school, i think it is worth the money, i feel its a small price to pay for a skill you will probably use just about everyday for a very long time.
fif

Postby Brutus on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:38 pm

Find a parking lot with yer parents and drive around. Or older sibling that holds a valid full licence.
Brutus
PRD Professor!

Postby glampunkbarbiedoll on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:54 pm

namelesswonder wrote:Doing Drivers Ed makes insurance a little cheaper, I believe, so for that reason, it's worth it. And it does go over the laws of the road, which is useful. The driving time for driver's ed (I think you still have to do it even when over 18 in the US) is only really worth it if you've already practiced driving. They just take you out on some bigger roads to see how you're doing, essentially.

You say your friends aren't "trying" to help you, does that mean you're waiting for them to offer, or you're going around and asking for help?

I menat my parents and my friends act like they aren't willing to help. I have talked about but haven't actually outright ask anyone yet because they seem like whatever about it and a few friends I actually asked never came threw.
glampunkbarbiedoll

Next

Return to On the lam...