Face care every day?

Where we can all say how great MAC is... and share other tips and tricks....

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Face care every day?

Postby AlohaFromHell on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:57 pm

So in all these womens magazines, they all print articles on how you should treat your face with stuff like skin tonics, face masks, day and night creams.. In many articles they advice you to use skin tonic every day and to ALWAYS use moisturizers (for both day, night and eyes)
I just think it's gotten a little out of hand maybe? I am not a dermotoligist or cosmetologist and i frankly know nothing about this except that i use nothing except for a little perfume-free cream once in a while.

To me it seems like chemical perfume filled stuff like skin tonic and various face masks are not really needed.. or at least not very good for either good or bad skin?

Does anyone in here know anything about this? I'm kinda getting the feeling that all these women's magazines are just bound up to contracts with the brands they're advicing us to use.

I hope no one takes this in the wrong way.. i know we all have different types of skin, and maybe this stuff works for you, and just not for me :)
I've just been thinking about this a lot lately.... i should get a hobby or something :S
Tonight I'm feeling sexy, gonna fuck the world
AlohaFromHell
You deserve an award......

Re: Face care every day?

Postby Lucy Furteen on Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:01 pm

I aint no expert either but I have always moisturised, since i was about 13 years old.
What I do is wash my face with a soap free wash and then moisturise after. Ideally this would be done twice a day, but that rarely happens.
This is a totally basic facial care routine and easy to manage.
all fun and games 'til someone loses an eye.
Lucy Furteen

Postby AlohaFromHell on Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:17 pm

Lucy Furteen wrote:I aint no expert either but I have always moisturised, since i was about 13 years old.
What I do is wash my face with a soap free wash and then moisturise after. Ideally this would be done twice a day, but that rarely happens.
This is a totally basic facial care routine and easy to manage.

Have you ever tried skipping this routine for a while? If so, could you feel the difference?
AlohaFromHell

Postby KelleyCarnivore on Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:26 pm

skin tonics =toner.

toner= my favorite product ever invented.

it can be used for so many things, balancing ph, hydrating skin, removing any residue of makeup(cleansers dont always get everything), reducing redness, some even work to remove odors on hair and clothes (i smoke a cigarette on my lunch break and do not want my clients to have to smell that in a facial.)

basically there are three kinds of toner.
they are usually broken down into the percentage of alcohol. this directly corresponds to the type of skin.

oilyskin- usually a 14%
dry skin- usually a 6%
sensitive skin- usually less than 4%

moisturizing is one of the most important things you can do for your face.
it should be done after EVERY time you cleanse your face. please moisturize even if you think you have oily skin. There are lots of great oil-free products that you can use.

it's pretty easy to keep up this kind of routine.
wash your face
spray the toner
rub in the moisturizer.
done :D
tattoo and makeup artist, body piercer,crafter & framboise loving lady from the deep south.

AAA tattoo, Lafayette, LA.
KelleyCarnivore

Postby AlohaFromHell on Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:39 pm

KelleyCarnivore wrote:skin tonics =toner.

it can be used for so many things, balancing ph, hydrating skin, removing any residue of makeup(cleansers dont always get everything), reducing redness, some even work to remove odors on hair and clothes (i smoke a cigarette on my lunch break and do not want my clients to have to smell that in a facial.)

they are usually broken down into the percentage of alcohol. this directly corresponds to the type of skin.

oilyskin- usually a 14%
dry skin- usually a 6%

it should be done after EVERY time you cleanse your face. please moisturize even if you think you have oily skin. There are lots of great oil-free products that you can use.

wash your face
spray the toner
rub in the moisturizer.

Hey! Thank's a lot for your reply!
I learned a lot from it... one question though.. is cleansing really nessecary, if your skin is pretty good and clean? I mean i get some dryness sometimes, which i just use moisturizer on, but i've never really used tonic because i don't like the afterwards feeling.. Feels like my skin is too tight and itchy.. Will cleansing prevent dryness too?

Haha sorry for all the questions.. i know nothing about this, except for how i feel my face reacting to it.. :)
AlohaFromHell

Postby KittyClyde on Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:50 pm

I cleanse, tone and mosturize. I can defanitely tell a difference if I don't. I also take fishoil, it helps my skin be really smooth, and it helps make my tone look more even. And I try to drink lots of water because it hydrates your skin too.
.Lo.
KittyClyde

Postby KelleyCarnivore on Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:51 pm

cleansing is the most important part.
your face gets dirt on it, may it be visible or not. if unwashed, the dirt will build up, and the sebum (oil) that you skin produces mixes with the dirt, dead skin cells, and your sweat. this is what leads to blemishes, clogged pores, and blackheads.

besides removing dirt, cleansing helps you exfoiate your skin. some of the dryness that we experience can be resolved with a good exfoliation. without any exfoliation, a person can get blemishes and all that, but may eventually notice that their skin is dryer, dull, and rough to the touch. (sometimes this last one may not be noticed for a while)

if a toner you've used makes your skin feel tight, the percentage of alcohol is too high for your face. look for a product that is for dry skin specifically. if your skin is itchy after cleansing, chnces are it's dry. (i moisturize twice sometimes)

also, one more thing, if you have dry skin, stay away from cleansers that foam. look for cream (some products say creme) cleansers, they will provide part of the moisture that you need while you cleanse.

basically foaming cleansers strip away TOO much of the sebum from dry faces.
this can also lead to a tight feeling.
tattoo and makeup artist, body piercer,crafter & framboise loving lady from the deep south.

KelleyCarnivore

Postby allgoodgirlsarepagan on Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:27 pm

KelleyCarnivore wrote:skin tonics =toner.

oilyskin- usually a 14%
dry skin- usually a 6%

wash your face
spray the toner
rub in the moisturizer.

What do you think about using witch hazel as toner?
allgoodgirlsarepagan

Postby BluDDie_Nukkles_Zanna on Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:31 pm

OK EVERYONE ON HER NEEDS TO READ EVERY BOOK BY PAULA BEGOUN
-DONT GO TO THE COSMETICS COUNTER WITHOUT ME
- BEAUTY BIBLE
THEY TELL YOU WHAT THE INGREDIENTS AND POTIONS REALLY DO TO YOUR SKIN!!!!!

that was important. go read them now......
BluDDie_Nukkles_Zanna
PRD Professor!

Postby KelleyCarnivore on Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:39 pm

witch hazel can be a great toner. i have some, got a bottle for like 85 cents, and then got a spray bottle from the dollar store. used it for a couple weeks...but the amount of alcohol was a bit high for my skin. like i said earlier my skin is dry...if your's isn't dry i would say go for it. its a hell of a lot cheaper than toner made by a cosmetics company.

KelleyCarnivore

Postby KelleyCarnivore on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:19 am

well ive just looked it up, and apparently you can buy witch hazel without alcohol.
yay, i can go cheap when i run out of my toner from school!

(sorry about posting twice in a row, i'm just excited)

KelleyCarnivore

Postby LonhShoreBabe on Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:58 am

i personally haaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttteeeeeeee toner with a passion............my skin can be fairly oily at times but when i use toner it dries my skin out too much and i break out more.............i think skin care regimes need to be distinctively different for everyone........advertisments would like to tell you that your skin is like everyone else's so you'll buy the product...not really true.
REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM.
LonhShoreBabe

Postby KelleyCarnivore on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:50 am

do you always moisturize? your skin might be oily because it is overproducing oil to make up for being dry. in which case, your skin type is not oily, and you would not use a toner for oily skin. a more gentle toner would probably work better for you.

then again, it may not...

but thats usually what is wrong when my clients complain about their products drying oily skin.

KelleyCarnivore

Postby Namsab on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:48 pm

KelleyCarnivore, you should definitely start a skincare-questions thread in Ask the Experts if you've ever got the time.. your advise is great!

I know I have to do more for my face, all I do is wash it twice a day... but I can't find a moisturizer that works fine with my acne-skin for the hell of it!
And yeah, it sounds dumb, but could anyone explain to me what 'toner' is? No translator will give me a logical answer. xP
Namsab
PRD Professor!

Postby AlohaFromHell on Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:39 am

Yeah! KellyCarnivore you know so much about this stuff! Wow i'm impressed... Thankyou so much for all your replies... I guess i'll start taking a bit better care of my face now :)
I hope I can find some tonic with less alcohol then...

Thanks for all your replies you guys! :D
AlohaFromHell

Next

Return to Girly stuff...