bleaching a patch of black-dyed hair?

Face it, you probably drink PBR, and you're on a DIY site; so you like ideas on how to do things cheaply! And hey, that leftover cash can buy you some more ink! So share the thrifty tips here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

bleaching a patch of black-dyed hair?

Postby johnnyxheartbreak on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:56 pm

what is the easiest, cheapest and most effective way to bleach a big chunk of my hair if i just redyed my roots last saturday?
While.
You're.
Out resisting
Anarchisting
I am sitting here existing.
Waiting for the time
You tell me that you're mine
Waiting for the time
that you come home.
http://stylenotsnob.blogspot.com/
johnnyxheartbreak
You deserve an award......

Re: bleaching a patch of black-dyed hair?

Postby leopard_gurly on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:53 pm

I bleached part of my hair that I'd just dyed black and it turned orange, it looked cool so I thought fuck it! I think the best solution is using baking powder/dishwasher soap on your black hair then getting a good qaulity bleach and leaving it on for a very long time.

Of course your hair may fall out....
leopard_gurly
PRD Professor!

Postby dirtyrottenlove on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:12 pm

your going to fry your hair.. but if your a guy and you have short hair, it really doesnt matter because your probably not as YourMotherIsListeningAndSheHatesYouForSpamming about our hair as us ladies are.

for bleach, get a packet of loreal quick blue and loreals 30 developer. you may need to do it twice.. then do it again in 2 weeks to get it bleach blonde. like i said though, your going to fry your hair.. but ive done it in the past and only came out with some split ends and straw feeling hair. if your going to put a color in, you can just bleach it to desired lightness where the color will just soak into the hair.
dirtyrottenlove
PRD Professor!

Postby oithorsonoi on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:04 pm

very carefully. find some decent bleach (loreal, or even manic panic) and most likely do it twice. and be careful not to get some on the surrounding hair. i've done that before and come out with spots haha good luck!
: Some Weird Sin :
oithorsonoi
DIY Demon

Postby KelleyCarnivore on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:30 pm

and remember that your roots will have less impacted color on them, so they will most likely turn color faster....you may only want to lift the color from the roots the second time you bleach.
tattoo and makeup artist, body piercer,crafter & framboise loving lady from the deep south.

AAA tattoo, Lafayette, LA.
KelleyCarnivore

Postby lot-rott on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:41 pm

johnnyxheartbreak wrote:what is the easiest, cheapest and most effective way to bleach a big chunk of my hair if i just redyed my roots last saturday?

use 40% peroxide with bleach powder and it'll get the black out. then use a white blonde toner.
then sleep with conditioner on to stop your hair falling off
(A)Whoever Lays His Hand On Me To Govern Me Is a Usurper and Tyrant and I Declare Him My Enemy(E)
lot-rott

Postby aSoftBlackStar on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:54 pm

lot-rott wrote:use 40% peroxide with bleach powder

You'll want to use either a 30vol or 40vol on your midshaft and ends, but don't put that shit on your scalp!!!!

Using 40 Vol Peroxide on your scalp with bleach(lightener) can give you a chemical burn. OUCH! It's best to leave your roots (new growth, about 1/2-1 inch from your scalp) alone until you've done the rest of your hair. If you're doing this all by yourself, your best bet is to do this in two shampoos to cut your chances of hair falling out. On your second go, do your roots with 20vol quickly and watch it until it turns. Spraying water on an area that has lightened too much should stop it from developing further.
"that which is not slightly distorted lacks sensible appeal: from which it follows that irregularity - that is to say, the unexpected, surprise and astonishment, are an essential part and characteristic of beauty."
aSoftBlackStar

Postby miss.annthropy on Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:24 am

Meh, I used "Jerome Russell B blonde" bleach stuff, first time I left it on for bout an hour to get it kinda strawberry blonde/gingery. Kept heavily conditioning it for a few weeks, then the other day I used that stuff again for about 30mins and it's pretty much white! ^_^ Will no doubt use deep contioning masks and stuff to keep it in shape but it feels fine :).

I guess if you generally abuse your hair this will not be a good idea but mine turned out great. I surrounded the section I bleached with clingfilm/seran wrap, taped that down with de-stickyfied masking tape, so I could lay the hair down on that without worrying about my scalp. I seran wrapped the bleach covered section too to speed up the process and used very mild heat from hair dryer towards the end. Used a paintbrush to apply it carefully avoiding my skin too.
[edit] I went reallllly close to my skin since I didn't want instant rootage, but you can't know that you wont have a bad reaction to it even if it's not all over your skin .. be careful :)
I'm just a venereal girl, living in a venereal world...

"I can't believe we left the party so soon. And there was so much wine to spit around the place!"
miss.annthropy

Postby HorrorDoll on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:20 pm

Toner makes a world of difference so you don't get that weird orange blonde look
-Dead End Girl for a Dead End Guy-
Check it out <3http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7130242
HorrorDoll

Postby dirtyrottenlove on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:40 pm

miss.annthropy wrote:Meh, I used "Jerome Russell B blonde" bleach stuff, first time I left it on for bout an hour to get it kinda strawberry blonde/gingery. Kept heavily conditioning it for a few weeks, then the other day I used that stuff again for about 30mins and it's pretty much white! ^_^ Will no doubt use deep contioning masks and stuff to keep it in shape but it feels fine :).

FYI... the longer you keep bleach on your hair does not mean that it will lighten your hair better. For example, leaving bleach in your hair for an hour as opposed to 20 minutes will do nothing more than the 20 minutes. Once you mix the developer and the bleach powder, it oxidizes with the oxygen in the air.. and reachses its maximum chemical reaction.. so after a while, it doesnt do anything else but dry up and get clumpy in your hair.

If you bleach your hair and its not lighter, DEPENDING ON THE STRENGTH OF YOUR HAIR, you may need to either bleach it AGAIN after the first time.. and/or wait a week or 2 to re-bleach (after deep conditioning).. THEN you can use a toner to get the brassy tones out.
dirtyrottenlove
PRD Professor!

Postby miss.annthropy on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:37 am

dirtyrottenlove wrote:
miss.annthropy wrote:Meh, I used "Jerome Russell B blonde" bleach stuff, first time I left it on for bout an hour to get it kinda strawberry blonde/gingery. Kept heavily conditioning it for a few weeks, then the other day I used that stuff again for about 30mins and it's pretty much white! ^_^ Will no doubt use deep contioning masks and stuff to keep it in shape but it feels fine :).

FYI... the longer you keep bleach on your hair does not mean that it will lighten your hair better. For example, leaving bleach in your hair for an hour as opposed to 20 minutes will do nothing more than the 20 minutes. Once you mix the developer and the bleach powder, it oxidizes with the oxygen in the air.. and reachses its maximum chemical reaction.. so after a while, it doesnt do anything else but dry up and get clumpy in your hair.

If you bleach your hair and its not lighter, DEPENDING ON THE STRENGTH OF YOUR HAIR, you may need to either bleach it AGAIN after the first time.. and/or wait a week or 2 to re-bleach (after deep conditioning).. THEN you can use a toner to get the brassy tones out.

Hmm, well I kept it on their until my hair stopped getting lighter. I'm no professional but in salons before they kept pasting more bleach on me for up to about 90mins (seems to be the standard limit) until it was as light as it was gonna be ... so it did in fact keep going. 20 mins did very little to my hair last time round (went a funny rusty brown) and yet after 50 mins it was much closer to the colour I wanted. Obviously I'm not saying leaving bleach on for hours will keep your hair getting lighter and lighter, that'd be silly :).

The directions say "If the colour is not to your liking, re apply the bleach onto the strand of hair you have just tested and wait a further 10 minutes. Then carry on this process until the colour is of your choice. It is not advisable to leave the bleach mixture on the hair for more than 90 minutes." This sorta suggests that your hair will continue to lighten until you get to that point (which varies person to person, and depending what products you've used beforehand) where you can see it's not changing anymore.
I'm just a venereal girl, living in a venereal world...

"I can't believe we left the party so soon. And there was so much wine to spit around the place!"
miss.annthropy

Postby devotchka_spikes on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:08 am

if yer gonna dye it a colour..
walgreens has some nice colouring hair dye with bleach in it.. so it turns yer hair the colour without having to bleach it first. =]
devotchka_spikes
PRD Professor!

Postby TiffanySnortsGlitter on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:47 am

I'm going to piggyback this thread with a similar situation.

I dyed my hair black about 8 weeks ago (over red) and it has actually faded and my hair looks dark brown with red tones (in the sun). So if I try to bleach a patch, will I have the same problems because the black has faded? Or should I be okay?

HALP PLZ
Just gimme a scene where the music is free
And the beer is not the life of the party

http://tiffanysnortsglitter.tumblr.com/
TiffanySnortsGlitter

Postby tague on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:57 pm

it'll be easier for you because the black has faded. i recommend using an uncolor kit before bleaching.

i went from black to a medium auburn about a month ago after dying my hair black for about eight months and about six times and it took me two strips and a bleach to get my hair to even a medium brown to go auburn. i was using l'oreal feria from sally's from their salon line. if you've been using box dye, it'll be easier.
tague
PRD Professor!

Postby MooMooMonster on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:58 am

Everytime I've bleached after dying with brown my hair has turned a green tint. I recommend stripping as well.
MooMooMonster
PRD Professor!

Next

Return to On the cheap...