Glitter Accessories w/ tutorial IMG chunky

No, we can't tell you how to dress, but we can suggest cool ways to make your clothes your own!!!!!

Please post your own ideas!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Glitter Accessories w/ tutorial IMG chunky

Postby frankentooth on Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:00 pm

So here's a fun little craft I have been working on. I made a few necklaces and hair bows and am selling them now on etsy... but i figured since you gals love glitter like i do, I'll post some pix with a tutorial on how I did them.

Things you will need :
some sort of basic adhesive... I used an acrylic paint gloss varnish just because I had a lot of it laying around from when I was in school and doing big paintings, some people choose fabric glue...others elmers.

sand paper

items to glitter

paint brush or sponge brush (small for all the crevices)

super glue (i prefer loctite over most brands)

glitttttterrrr of all colors, i prefer the fine glitter because it looks smoother when you're finished... martha stewart glitter has been the best so far.

jewelry and accessory hardware (chains,clasps,hair clips...etc...)

clear coat by krylon (i found it at ace hardware super cheap and awesome for so many projects)

I'm gonna do the tutorial on the hair clips but both were done just about the same way

Step 1

I used bones to make the hair clips but you can use anything.... first step take you item and sand paper and scuff the item. This makes it easier for the glue to stick to and the glitter will coat evenly

Step 2

take your paint brush and brush on the adhesive you chose in a smooth layer making sure to cover everything
then sprinkle on your glitter...wait an hour or more for the adhesive to dry so you can check and see if you have any bare spots... just re apply some adhesive and glitter to whatever spots aren't covered like you want them.

Step 3

after the item with glitter has dried for at least 3 hours or so you'll wanna take it outside and spray it down with the clear coat...let that dry and then coat it once more for optimal sparkle keepage.

Step 4

once the item is glittered and coated an dried... it's time to make some funky shhhtufff out of it. I used the glitter bones and loctite and glued them to some hair clasps to make a fun hair clip. You can also drill holes and make jewelry, or do whatever with them.

frankentooth
You deserve an award......

Re: Glitter Accessories w/ tutorial IMG chunky

Postby OxyMorbid on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:49 pm

This is so cool! I'm not a fan of glitter myself (it's actually the bane of my existence) but this would make amazing christmas gifts for my friends!! Does the glitter ever flake or does the clear coat keep most of it in?
OxyMorbid

Postby BluDDie_Nukkles_Zanna on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:04 pm

"optimal sparkle keepage" hahaha
i love this, im totally going to glitterfy some stuff soon :)
BluDDie_Nukkles_Zanna
PRD Professor!

Postby frankentooth on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:47 am

OxyMorbid wrote:This is so cool! I'm not a fan of glitter myself (it's actually the bane of my existence) but this would make amazing christmas gifts for my friends!! Does the glitter ever flake or does the clear coat keep most of it in?

so far the glitter keeps really really well. I wore the white bones at least 10 times now and nothing really seemed to come off in my hair. The clear coat works great i used it for making plates and was suggested it by someone who made glitter heels. They wore them to a wedding and said it kept extremely well.
frankentooth

Postby MissVicious on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:15 am

oooh I need to do this for my tree next year... after I buy more halloween stuff.
http://kisszombies.etsy.com

formerly kisszombies

i just say...rock and roll bitch
MissVicious
PRD Professor!

Postby bacteriadance on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:04 am

This is awesome. Thanks!
bacteriadance
PRD Professor!

Postby Daisy on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:46 am

freakin' sweet!
blog
Yellow Bunting

truly, you have a dizzying intellect
Daisy
PRD Professor!

Postby devotchka_spikes on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:04 am

Martha Stewart has glitter? Whoaa.

This tutorial is awesome!
Things will be glitter-tastic soon!
devotchka_spikes
PRD Professor!

Postby frankentooth on Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:34 pm

devotchka_spikes wrote:Martha Stewart has glitter? Whoaa.

This tutorial is awesome!
Things will be glitter-tastic soon!

haha i know!! i was a little thrown off at first but i got some on clearance and it's totally the kitty's pajamas! my secret shame is that i <3 martha glitter
frankentooth

Postby NutMeg on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:35 pm

Where do you buy it and what's the price like? I looks awesome like something my daughter and I could go crazy with!
NutMeg
PRD Professor!

Postby frankentooth on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 am

NutMeg wrote:Where do you buy it and what's the price like? I looks awesome like something my daughter and I could go crazy with!

michaels usually for the glitter they have the 40% off coupons all the time so i'd use that it's not the cheapest glitter but with the discount it works out best. the rest of the shit i pick up at ace hardware,the dollar store, an party city. I got a billion of those bats after halloween for like .20 a pop
frankentooth

Postby NutMeg on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:13 am

frankentooth wrote:
NutMeg wrote:Where do you buy it and what's the price like? I looks awesome like something my daughter and I could go crazy with!

michaels usually for the glitter they have the 40% off coupons all the time so i'd use that it's not the cheapest glitter but with the discount it works out best. the rest of the shit i pick up at ace hardware,the dollar store, an party city. I got a billion of those bats after halloween for like .20 a pop

Thanks lady. WE just got a hobby lobby and it rocks!!!! 50% off all crafting supplies no coupons needed! I'll check it out since G-ma's gifts will be DIY!
NutMeg
PRD Professor!

Return to Fashion fun...