Complete List of PRD-Best-Rated Hair Dyes

No, we can't tell you how to dress, but we can suggest cool ways to make your clothes your own!!!!!

Please post your own ideas!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Complete List of PRD-Best-Rated Hair Dyes

Postby Christi_Chaos on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:56 pm

Hi Ladies!

After years of searching for the best hair dye colors, I figured a lot of us on here would be qualified to try to compile a list of the hair dye brands and color names that we've had the best luck with for specific colors! (I apologize in advance if there's already a list like this--I know people have asked about specific colors before and I can never get the search to work)

Let's try to get everyone's input for
*Best Red(s)=
*Best Orange(s)=
*Best Yellow(s)=
*Best Green(s)=
*Best Blue(s)=
*Best Turquoise(s)=
*Best Purple(s)=
*Best Pink(s)=
*Best Magenta(s)=
*Best Black(s)=

And since hair dyes are different for everyone, we'll likely end up with several suggestions for each category, which is great!

So here are my contributions:

*Best Red= "Wild Red" by Beyond the Zone Color Jamz available @ Sally's Beauty Supply (just be sure to not get the "Candy Apple Red" if you really want red--it's more deep pink and washes out really easily)

*Best Blue= "After Midnight Blue" by Manic Panic available @ Sally's Beauty Supply (starts as a really nice deep blue and every shade as it washes it is a great blue)

*Best Green= "Spring Green" by Directions available online or @ FashionNation in Denver, CO (sorry guys, I know you can google it though!)

Custom Dresses, Men's Vests, Hairpieces, Garters, and More!

For Weddings, Proms, or Everyday!
Christi_Chaos
DIY Demon

Re: Complete List of PRD-Best-Rated Hair Dyes

Postby adictedtolove77 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:00 am

Best Red- Loreal Hi Color Red. You can pick it up at Sallys. It's permanent and made for dark hair so no bleaching!
Okay, ramblers, let's get rambling.
http://www.pressedandscrewed.com
adictedtolove77
PRD Professor!

Postby namelesswonder on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:20 am

Best pink = Special Effects Atomic Pink
It was SUPER lightened before this (it was leeching out color, I had to use some repairing conditioners to stop it from feeling like foam) but yeah. Awesometude.
Introduce a little anarchy, you upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.
My blog - updated regularly about no particular thing.
namelesswonder
PRD Professor!

Postby kissmycombatboots on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:23 am

adictedtolove77 wrote:Best Red- Loreal Hi Color Red. You can pick it up at Sallys. It's permanent and made for dark hair so no bleaching!

ditto on this. i've tried pretty much every red dye under the sun, and this is the only one i'll use now. i've even done the professional route, and this stuff is better.
--Aliz

kissmycombatboots
PRD Professor!

Postby CamilleDevine on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:58 am

I haven't been a great many colours, but so far (in order of preference for each colour)...

Blue:
Only tried one, Special Effects Blue Velvet. A nice deep blue. Causes SERIOUS stains, though - on my face, my neck, my chest, my back, my arms, my hands, my bathtub...

Pink:
1. Special Effects Burgundy Wine. Not Burgundy, actually pink. Long lasting, good coverage, no staining issues.
2. Manic Panic New Rose. Doesn't last as long as SFX, but is nice and bright. A good "cool" pink.
3. Fudge Raspberry Beret. Lasts quite a while, a nice magenta shade. Again with the staining, though.

Purple:
1. Directions Plum. Probably my favourite dye. Lasts forever. I never use it at home though - once again, stainy mcstainstain.
2. Manic Panic Plum Passion. Nice dark purple. Fades to a pinky colour.
3. Special Effects Pimpin' Purple. Nice purple at first, but fades to a long-lasting pink after a week or 2.
4. Manic Panic Purple Haze. Looks ok at first, but fades to a weird grey pretty quickly.

As you can see, my number 1 priority is that it doesn't leave me scrubbing my bathtub for ages. I look for a trade-off between that and staying power.
CamilleDevine
You deserve an award......

Postby Mrs Dead on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:32 am

For pink I definately vote paul mitchell hot pink.
Mrs Dead

Postby Daisy on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:05 am

i love this thread already! i want to go back to having pink hair [i miss it] so will definitely be looking into what's been posted

i can definitely not recommend Stargazer magenta semi permanent. although it was a totally awesome shade of pink [bright pink] it stained the shower, floor and me- ears, face, neck, shoulders and back- and washed out after about 2 weeks- wasn't worth the hassle
blog
Yellow Bunting

truly, you have a dizzying intellect
Daisy
PRD Professor!

Postby miss.hell on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:16 am

ok
red-special effects cherry
teal- manic panic atomic turquoise
purple- special effects wild flower and manic panic -ultra violet
pink- special effects atomic pink
orange-special effects napalm orange
blue black- feria starry starry night
white and grey both wella whatever they are called and miss clairol use to make one i think that was icy something but i dont think they make it anymore
http://boiledbones.tumblr.com
AIM: misshelltexasoi
miss.hell
PRD Professor!

Postby MooMooMonster on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:05 pm

*Best Red(s)= Manic Panic Vampire Red was beautiful! But I can't remember how long it lasted :/
*Best Green(s)= Special Effects Limelight is beautiful, but unless you bleach your hair to pale yellow it washes out in a flash
*Best Blue(s)= Manic Panic After Midnight Blue lasted for months in my hair!
*Best Turquoise(s)= Special Effects Fishbowl and more on the green side is Special Effects Sonic Green which is a gorgeous shade.
*Best Purple(s)= Raw Deep Purple! Also Special Effects Blue Velvet. It is more of a blue toned purple, but comes out gorgeous.
*Best Pink(s)= Manic Panic Hot Hot Pink worked like a dream for me.
*Best Black(s)= Clairol Natural Instincts Black
MooMooMonster
PRD Professor!

Postby poorandweird on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:57 pm

can we have a best toners/silver dyes toooo ?
YOU KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE
CAUSE IT'S THE POLITICS OF CRUELTY
THAT WE LIVE FOR
poorandweird
PRD Professor!

Postby miss.hell on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:31 pm

i put that on mine
http://boiledbones.tumblr.com
AIM: misshelltexasoi
miss.hell
PRD Professor!

Postby Christi_Chaos on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:12 am

Yay! Thanks for all of the awesome responses ladies :) This is awesome, now I wish I had more than one head of hair to dye at a time, lol.

And Poorandweird, any good toners would be great to add!

NamelessWonder, your hot pink is perfect--that's exactly the shade I'm after!

kissmycombatboots wrote:
adictedtolove77 wrote:Best Red- Loreal Hi Color Red. You can pick it up at Sallys. It's permanent and made for dark hair so no bleaching!

ditto on this. i've tried pretty much every red dye under the sun, and this is the only one i'll use now. i've even done the professional route, and this stuff is better.

So red is my very favorite color to dye my hair, but is this dye for a naturalish looking red or fire-engine/unatural cherry red? I have my hopes up! :D

Custom Dresses, Men's Vests, Hairpieces, Garters, and More!

For Weddings, Proms, or Everyday!
Christi_Chaos
DIY Demon

Postby kissmycombatboots on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:39 am

hi-color has several shades of various reds, look for the one listed just "RED" if you want your hair to mimic a stop sign. it's beautiful and fades very well. you'll get some run off in the shower, but nothing that has stained my tub so far. i have stained a few towels, though. as if fades, it looks a little more on the natural red side, which i personally prefer, that way i don't get people calling me Gwen. :lol: but by the time i get the the point where it's looking a bit on the natural side, i'm usually due for a re-dye any way. i dye it about once a month.
i also use a lower developer than they suggest, because my hair is fried from dying it for so long. i use a 20 instead of the 40 or 30 they reccommend, and it's still great.
--Aliz

kissmycombatboots
PRD Professor!

Postby mummifiedlunatic on Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:19 am

I can't seem to find special fx anywhere.... I haven't needed to buy any in a long time so the last time I went around and looked places had everything but special fx! Soooo where are people finding it???

Off the top of my head since all my colors are packed:
Orange= napalm orange by special effects. bleached hair + a little heat and it's highlighter sexy orange
Turquoise= punky colour turquoise comes out perfect
Pravana makes really awesome colors but it's a professional line.. the purple is amazing. Raw deep purple didn't work at all in my hair, looked faded when done and turned kinda brownish, but i like the little measuring cup that came with the kit!

i feel like adding heat is critical to make it nice and sexy vibrant
You fit into me
like a hook into an eye
A fish hook
An open eye
mummifiedlunatic

Postby CamilleDevine on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:47 am

mummifiedlunatic wrote:I can't seem to find special fx anywhere.... I haven't needed to buy any in a long time so the last time I went around and looked places had everything but special fx! Soooo where are people finding it???

Ebay!!
Physical stores around here only stock Fudge, so online is the only way.
CamilleDevine

Next

Return to Fashion fun...