Tutorial: Make an Apron *IMG HEAVY*

No, we can't tell you how to dress, but we can suggest cool ways to make your clothes your own!!!!!

Please post your own ideas!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Tutorial: Make an Apron *IMG HEAVY*

Postby no_poeticdevice on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:45 am

Okay, so I decided yesterday that I wanted to make a pretty apron, and I figured a tut would be cool even though it was a bit of an afterthought. So I don't have pics for EVERY step.

This is my first tutorial. Any questions/comments welcome.

I didn't use a pattern. And I don't like to measure things(don't ask, its weird)
So, I found a T-shirt and a skirt to make this apron my size.

1. Get some tunes going so you don't lose motivation
2. Find a T-shirt that you can use(your not cutting the shirt)
3. Pin your T-shirt in whatever way you want the top of the apron to look like. Then place your shirt on the fabric for the TOP and cut.
4. Find a skirt(also not cutting it)
5. Pin the skirt to about the length that you want your apron and make it into a sort of "U" shape with a straight top. Pin or place your skirt onto the fabric for the BOTTOM and cut to size.(I wanted my apron larger than the skirt, but the skirt gave me a starting point)
6. For the loop around your head. Cut a strip of fabric about 4" wide & 25" long. You will fold this right sides together and sew along the side.
7. For the tie around the waist. Measure around your waist and add about 30" so you will have room on each side of the tie to tie it. I cut this about 8" wide. (I used 2 pieces of fabric and sewed them together in the middle) You will turn this right sides together and sew along the side as well.
8. For the ruffle at the bottom. Cut a piece of fabric about 6" wide and double the length of the "U" shape of the bottom of the apron.
9. Pull out your Iron and Starch and Iron every piece of fabric you have just cut. For the top fabric & the Ruffle you will need to turn the edges in and Iron those so they will have a nice edge. (don't worry about the bottom, the ruffle will cover the edges)... yeah I don't own an Ironing board....
10. Now, sew the neck strap, the belt tie thing.
11. Sew the ruffle.
11. Turn the neck and belt tie right side out and Iron.
12. Pin the Neck strap to the top of the apron fabric where you want it and sew around the edges of the top.
13. Find the centers of the top fabric and the bottom fabric and match them up. Fold them right sides together and sew the back side. Iron the seams down flat.
14. Pin the ruffle onto the bottom (i started at the middle, finding both middle points again) To make the pleating easy, I used a pin to measure the distance between each pleat. After all the pleats are pinned, SEW.
15. Now add the waist belt tie thing(find the center again) I put a seam across the top of the belt and across the bottom.
16. I went over the whole thing with an Iron again because it got all bunched up while constructing.
17. Be pretty while cooking :)

Geee...I think trying to explain every step was harder than all the sewing. :-D
no_poeticdevice
PRD Professor!

Re: Tutorial: Make an Apron *IMG HEAVY*

Postby havanna on Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:32 am

Looks great, I love the cherry fabric!
"Never give up. Even if you feel like it."
havanna
PRD Professor!

Postby nobodysdarling on Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:07 am

looks awesome!
nobodysdarling
PRD Professor!

Postby Sparko on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:08 am

Wow, this looks great! Thanks for taking the time to make it.
I've been meaning to make one for ages, but now that I've seen this... I might actually get around to it soon!
Sparko
You deserve an award......

Postby SophieCatastrophe on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:42 pm

great tutorial, thanks! got the week off work so I know what I'm gonna be doing ;)
It's all gone pear shaped
It's fallen butter side down
I've tripped arse over tit
Don't think I can recover it
SophieCatastrophe

Postby Madame Fatale on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:34 pm

Thats really cute. Tommorow i shall clean my sewing room and maybe start one :) Thanks!!!
Madame Fatale
PRD Professor!

Postby SixShotSarah on Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:36 pm

thats looks so good! :-)
SixShotSarah

Postby miss_cupotea on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:42 pm

Oooh I love that, I want to make one now!
eileen
miss_cupotea

Postby adictedtolove77 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:43 pm

Thats so neat! I am such an apron whore. I must make myself one, or five.
Okay, ramblers, let's get rambling.
http://www.pressedandscrewed.com
adictedtolove77
PRD Professor!

Postby Billie on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:56 pm

this is a really cute idea! I'm totally gonna try this on my next day off :)
Billie

Postby lilpixie17 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:36 pm

They look great! I'll have to whip one out in the next few days.

BTW - I used the cherry fabric to cover my bar stools and make all my throw pillows with 8)
gagging silently, you succumb to the inky depths
lilpixie17
PRD Professor!

Postby --Rose-- on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:24 pm

Well done! :D Thats a good idea, using a shirt as a kind of template. I've never thought of that before.
~~~~<@ -Rose

**The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently. -Friedrich Nietzsche **
--Rose--

Postby PAPERCLiPOSAURUS on Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:54 am

This is so cute, and I love your hair!
PAPERCLiPOSAURUS

Postby gemma_mct on Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:24 am

i love the cherry fabric! these would make really cute gifts!
gemma_mct
PRD Professor!

Postby vivixsect on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:48 am

no_poeticdevice wrote:Okay, so I decided yesterday that I wanted to make a pretty apron, and I figured a tut would be cool even though it was a bit of an afterthought. So I don't have pics for EVERY step.

This is my first tutorial. Any questions/comments welcome.

I didn't use a pattern. And I don't like to measure things(don't ask, its weird)
So, I found a T-shirt and a skirt to make this apron my size.

1. Get some tunes going so you don't lose motivation
2. Find a T-shirt that you can use(your not cutting the shirt)
3. Pin your T-shirt in whatever way you want the top of the apron to look like. Then place your shirt on the fabric for the TOP and cut.
4. Find a skirt(also not cutting it)
5. Pin the skirt to about the length that you want your apron and make it into a sort of "U" shape with a straight top. Pin or place your skirt onto the fabric for the BOTTOM and cut to size.(I wanted my apron larger than the skirt, but the skirt gave me a starting point)
6. For the loop around your head. Cut a strip of fabric about 4" wide & 25" long. You will fold this right sides together and sew along the side.
7. For the tie around the waist. Measure around your waist and add about 30" so you will have room on each side of the tie to tie it. I cut this about 8" wide. (I used 2 pieces of fabric and sewed them together in the middle) You will turn this right sides together and sew along the side as well.
8. For the ruffle at the bottom. Cut a piece of fabric about 6" wide and double the length of the "U" shape of the bottom of the apron.
9. Pull out your Iron and Starch and Iron every piece of fabric you have just cut. For the top fabric & the Ruffle you will need to turn the edges in and Iron those so they will have a nice edge. (don't worry about the bottom, the ruffle will cover the edges)... yeah I don't own an Ironing board....
10. Now, sew the neck strap, the belt tie thing.
11. Sew the ruffle.
11. Turn the neck and belt tie right side out and Iron.
12. Pin the Neck strap to the top of the apron fabric where you want it and sew around the edges of the top.
13. Find the centers of the top fabric and the bottom fabric and match them up. Fold them right sides together and sew the back side. Iron the seams down flat.
14. Pin the ruffle onto the bottom (i started at the middle, finding both middle points again) To make the pleating easy, I used a pin to measure the distance between each pleat. After all the pleats are pinned, SEW.
15. Now add the waist belt tie thing(find the center again) I put a seam across the top of the belt and across the bottom.
16. I went over the whole thing with an Iron again because it got all bunched up while constructing.
17. Be pretty while cooking :)

Geee...I think trying to explain every step was harder than all the sewing. :-D

All the images are not there, that's too bad. But I will still make a couple for work.
vivixsect
You're getting the hang of it!

Next

Return to Fashion fun...