SHOE REPAIR!!!

Quick tips for on the road and about town. Those little strange uses for random thingies.... Post it here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

SHOE REPAIR!!!

Postby Ms Minx on Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:59 pm

Old docs and other favirite shoe repairs......

I have a few pairs of Creepers that I've worn for over 10 years. I love them and can't get rid of them. Unfortunately, when they wear, they get those stupid holes deep in the soles. Several years ago I figured out the most ghetto solution. Pour Rubber Cement into the holes and let it dry.

For Docs....
Again, I have a pair I've had since I was... (umm, never mind!) Anyway, it's the pair that gets the hell beat out of them. They're scratched and scuffed to hell, but I can wear them barefoot so I refuse to trash them. Anyways, spraypaint is a great way to get all the scratches back to one color.
Punk girls do it better...
www.builtonrespect.com
Ms Minx
Site Admin

Re: SHOE REPAIR!!!

Postby Ms Vanilla on Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:39 pm

Ms Minx wrote:Old docs and other favirite shoe repairs......

For Docs....
Again, I have a pair I've had since I was... (umm, never mind!) Anyway, it's the pair that gets the hell beat out of them. They're scratched and scuffed to hell, but I can wear them barefoot so I refuse to trash them. Anyways, spraypaint is a great way to get all the scratches back to one color.

If the Docs' sole splits or cracks, you can heat up a knife (a butter knife will work, but make sure to wrap something around the handle so you don't burn your fingers or hands) with a lighter or over a gas stove. When the knife is hot enough to cause the rubber sole to melt, insert the blade of the knife into the crack or split and squeeze the sole flat again. Slowy remove the knife and allow the heat from it to melt the sole back together. Once the knife has been fully removed from the sole, reheat the blade and use the flat edge to smooth out the new seam by touching it lightly to the melted area.

This may not make your Docs last forever, but for a quick fix for your favorite boots, it should do the trick until you can break in a new pair!
Ms Vanilla

what doesn't work...

Postby JennyStench on Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:31 am

I tried 5 minute epoxy with some mole skin on the inside so the 5 minute epoxy wouldn't run....was a good idea.....didn't work though.....it cracked right away. :(
JennyStench

Postby the_scullcore on Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:00 am

okay I have a pair of old fake converse candies with the backs cut out. problem is, the canvas is coming out from the rubber soles on both sides of either shoe. I had it saftey pinned for a while, but they kept pulling out of the rubber (which is why I haven't tried sewing them) any suggestions?
-the scullcore
the_scullcore

Postby Ms Minx on Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:30 pm

the_scullcore wrote:okay I have a pair of old fake converse candies with the backs cut out. problem is, the canvas is coming out from the rubber soles on both sides of either shoe. I had it saftey pinned for a while, but they kept pulling out of the rubber (which is why I haven't tried sewing them) any suggestions?

perhaps try kamilla's 'hot knife' approach and push the canvas back into the sole?
Punk girls do it better...
www.builtonrespect.com
Ms Minx
Site Admin

Postby the_scullcore on Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:39 pm

I'll give it a shot. . . knowing my luck I'll some how manage to set the whole shoe on fire
-the scullcore
the_scullcore

Postby Stellar_Starr on Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:03 am

the_scullcore wrote:I'll give it a shot. . . knowing my luck I'll some how manage to set the whole shoe on fire

That would really suck. But it would be something you can look back on years later and laugh at...because it happened to me once. Never stand too close to a fire with Converse on...
"I'm the first kid to write of hearts, lies, and friends
And I am sorry my conscience called in sick again
And I've got arrogance down to a science
Oh, and I'm the first kid to write of hearts, lies, and friends"
Stellar_Starr

Postby lotta*shoes on Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:52 pm

I fix my shoes with my beloved glue gun. In fact, my entire DIY skills are based on the glue gun, staple gun and hammer. If either of those 3 can't fix it, I'm screwed. haha
lotta*shoes
DIY Demon

shoe fix

Postby julie ghoulie on Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:19 pm

my mom taught me this: "plumbers goop" works really well if the sole of your creeper comes detatched or on any other shoe problem. its meant to be used on pipes n' stuff and you can buy it at the hardware store
candy is dandy but liquer is quicker
julie ghoulie
You're getting the hang of it!

Postby Max on Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:55 pm

Maybe it seems like a cop out, but I always use Shoe goo

A quick internet search turned up:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... XD193&P=FR

for a source. Shouldn't cost more than $5 a tube, and I usually can repair 2 pairs of shoes with one bottle.
Max
PRD Professor!

Postby Chaosbean on Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:49 pm

I used the hot knife trick today...cause I'm apparentally never buying another pair of docs... worked a charm.
Passion before Fashion

"The Bean, Queen, Holiest of all PRD members"

"If your heart was broken you'd be DEAD"
Chaosbean
PRD Professor!

Postby tague on Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:06 pm

i use amazing goop to fix chucks. and the free sample tube from their website lasts forever.
tague
PRD Professor!

Postby Chaosbean on Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:49 pm

tague wrote:i use amazing goop to fix chucks. and the free sample tube from their website lasts forever.

I used it on my vans... are you the person who told me about the sample? cause I moved... you think they give me a second tube?
Passion before Fashion

Chaosbean
PRD Professor!

Postby tague on Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:44 pm

Chaosbean wrote:
tague wrote:i use amazing goop to fix chucks. and the free sample tube from their website lasts forever.

I used it on my vans... are you the person who told me about the sample? cause I moved... you think they give me a second tube?

they sent me a second tube to my house after i'd left for college... my grandma mailed it to me and it popped on the way.

so i'd say they're probably pretty liberal with their samples.
tague
PRD Professor!

Postby Chaosbean on Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:46 pm

tague wrote:
Chaosbean wrote:

they sent me a second tube to my house after i'd left for college... my grandma mailed it to me and it popped on the way.

so i'd say they're probably pretty liberal with their samples.

awesome, that stuff is amazing.
Passion before Fashion

Chaosbean
PRD Professor!

Next

Return to On the lam...