Going on vaca need food ideas

Quick tips for on the road and about town. Those little strange uses for random thingies.... Post it here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Going on vaca need food ideas

Postby Ozzys1mom on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 pm

So the family is going on vacation. We are a family of five and the only vacations we have gone on since we have had kids is to visit relatives or friends. So that meant staying at their house and planning meals with them and so on. Well we are finally taking a real hardcore vacation2 nights 3 days to Seattle:) We plan on eating out a couple times and the kids are dyeing to order room service. The room has a microwave and mini fridge. How do you do food for situations like this? We are on a super budget so eating out 3 meals a day for 3 days is not feasible. I am a good little house wifey and when at home we eat home cooked meals always. LOL And with 3 kids under 10 we have to have snacks. meals and drinks. I am thinking just going to the grocery store once we get there. But I would love to hear some ideas:)
[img]Image[/img]
User avatar
Ozzys1mom
You deserve an award......
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:55 am
Location: Salem. Oregon

Re: Going on vaca need food ideas

Postby NutMeg on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:43 pm

I make oatmeal in the coffee pot... 8) But since you have a microwave instant oatmeal is good breakfast. You can do bacon in the microwave, even scrambled eggs in a cup. 1 tsp of water per egg. Microwave one minute, stir then minute by minute until done.
Sandwiches for lunch
Banquet microwave dinners.

That is how I do it cheap!
Image
User avatar
NutMeg
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 1362
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: Fist City Cali

Re: Going on vaca need food ideas

Postby just_icarus on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:59 pm

NutMeg wrote:I make oatmeal in the coffee pot... 8) But since you have a microwave instant oatmeal is good breakfast. You can do bacon in the microwave, even scrambled eggs in a cup. 1 tsp of water per egg. Microwave one minute, stir then minute by minute until done.
Sandwiches for lunch
Banquet microwave dinners.

That is how I do it cheap!


this:
http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/2010/ ... ckets.html
destroy / create
User avatar
just_icarus
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 2053
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Going on vaca need food ideas

Postby dinotoria on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:01 pm

If you've got a crock pot you could take that and make good family-sized meals.
That way your family is still getting something relatively healthy, but it's nothing you're having to devote time to fixing other than tossing in ingredients in the morning and leaving it on to cook all day.
So you don't have to take your whole spice cabinet along you can measure out spices you'll need at home and have your own ziploc bag versions of the packets you can buy at the store to cook with.
Disposable plates/bowls and forks/spoons and you'd only have to worry about crockpot cleanup which shouldn't be too bad.
Image

I always like more friends!
Facebook
Myspace
User avatar
dinotoria
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:10 pm
Location: Murfreesboro, TN

Re: Going on vaca need food ideas

Postby just_icarus on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:12 pm

dinotoria wrote:If you've got a crock pot you could take that and make good family-sized meals.
That way your family is still getting something relatively healthy, but it's nothing you're having to devote time to fixing other than tossing in ingredients in the morning and leaving it on to cook all day.
So you don't have to take your whole spice cabinet along you can measure out spices you'll need at home and have your own ziploc bag versions of the packets you can buy at the store to cook with.
Disposable plates/bowls and forks/spoons and you'd only have to worry about crockpot cleanup which shouldn't be too bad.


wow that is SUCH a good idea.
destroy / create
User avatar
just_icarus
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 2053
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Going on vaca need food ideas

Postby dinotoria on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:33 pm

just_icarus wrote:
dinotoria wrote:If you've got a crock pot you could take that and make good family-sized meals.
That way your family is still getting something relatively healthy, but it's nothing you're having to devote time to fixing other than tossing in ingredients in the morning and leaving it on to cook all day.
So you don't have to take your whole spice cabinet along you can measure out spices you'll need at home and have your own ziploc bag versions of the packets you can buy at the store to cook with.
Disposable plates/bowls and forks/spoons and you'd only have to worry about crockpot cleanup which shouldn't be too bad.


wow that is SUCH a good idea.


my family is going on vacation next week, and my mom mentioned this idea. i TOTALLY wouldn't have thought of it otherwise. lol.
Image

I always like more friends!
Facebook
Myspace
User avatar
dinotoria
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:10 pm
Location: Murfreesboro, TN

Re: Going on vaca need food ideas

Postby rainaraven on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:29 pm

well when i was a kid we would fill a cooler full of lunch meat, fruit & veggies. then have a bag of non refrigerated stuff like bread, muffins for breakfast, chips & other snacks.
we did it rv style but only in a van.
you can make pretty much anything in the microwave, if youre willing. theres a site link in here somewhere about a microwave cake in a mug, im sure someone can help out by directing us all (thank you someone).
making some frozen dinners at home and packing them really well to nuke there is always good. anything from stew, soup, chili, lasagna and a few casserole type deals.
It makes no sense to argue with crazy people cause crazy people don't have to make sense.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/colorfulcoffin ... _usernames
rainaraven
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:29 am
Location: PA

Re: Going on vaca need food ideas

Postby dirtyrottenlove on Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:42 pm

keep a box of cereal and milk in the roomm as well as stuff like PB&J & bread, sand meat, etc.. The oatmeal is a good idea! Hard boiled eggs, etc!
User avatar
dirtyrottenlove
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:10 pm
Location: Bayonne, New Jersey.

Re: Going on vaca need food ideas

Postby Brutus on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:59 am

Just a little warning, a hotel I once stayed in, the minifridge had some sort of electrical device in it that when you took out, say a can of pop, it would get put on your bill automatically. And wont take that charge off if you return it to the fridge. Check with the hotel beforehand to see if it has the same technology. We had to have the manager come up to see that we only were taking the stuff out to put our own in, and hadn't used any of their products. We then had the charges removed from out account.
User avatar
Brutus
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:14 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Re: Going on vaca need food ideas

Postby Ms Minx on Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:52 pm

Are you anywhere near a Trader Joes? They have some GREAT 'entrees in a bag' that are usually organic, and I can pronounce the ingredients. Also - most are not more than $4. I'd do a quick stock-up there!

If you have a fridge there, you can make some things in advance -- say lasagna, put it in tupperwear in a cooler and microwave!
Punk girls do it better...
www.builtonrespect.com
Image
User avatar
Ms Minx
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1640
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:10 pm
Location: NYC!


Return to On the lam...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron