going on a trip alone i need help

Quick tips for on the road and about town. Those little strange uses for random thingies.... Post it here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

going on a trip alone i need help

Postby ilovemarkunseen on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:32 pm

okay so im talking my first trip alone. im scared shitless. i dont know where to even start. Im going to dallas, texas on april 22 and come home the 26. i decided on new years eve that i HAD to go to texas for this benifit concert that a band i really like is playing. But im scared to get off the plane and find my ludge get to the hotel and the next day get my rental car. I need packing tips and just all around help.

Please i need travel tips, things to do anything would be great thanks
Rockabilly Pastry Chef
Doing what I love and loving what I do!!!
http://www.myspace.com/goodluckcakes
ilovemarkunseen
DIY Demon

Re: going on a trip alone i need help

Postby missghoulina on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:35 pm

Im no help for the travelling alone, but i see that you are dreaming of living in boston and im totally down for moving there if you want!! hahah jk (since im from canada) but boston is really awesome i went there in the summer and loved it
missghoulina
PRD Professor!

Postby rainaraven on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:39 pm

i can help! first it is pretty warm, even in april. take a few warm clothes for the departure and return and in case it gets cold for some reason. always check the forecast. do whatever you can to make your bag stand out to you. i took my set of bright pink hard suitcases my great grandmother had. since we are prd diy'ers put a few bright patches or something sewn tightly on your bags. have you ever flown before? do you have any lay-overs? if so where? remember to wear easily removable shoes. ask the airline or look it up on line, what you are allowed to take and what you absolutely can not take. i think they change that crap all the time. dallas does have cabs so getting to your hotel shouldnt be a problem, and it really isnt too expensive. they also have vans for shared rides which makes it cheaper.
if you can get one of the rental places that pick you up(hertz, i think), or in other words will just drop the car off. you can talk to a travel agent (like AAA) to see what kind of deals are going on then haggle with the places on your own to get the same deal or sometimes lower (my dad does this and usually makes out pretty good).
usually if you need help some ask someone in an airport uniform. they are pretty helpful, most of the time. dont act like you are alone, if someone approaches you, you know that not right feeling, just act like you are looking or waiting for your husband to find you after he is done going to the bathroom. the usual stuff you should do when you are alone, have your cell phone to call home at specific times when you are at specific places and make sure your phone is fully charged, that kind of thing. dont be scared! just cautious like any other time you are anywhere alone.
always take a carry-on with the things you really can not afford to loose (i know you cant afford to loose anything but) like jewelry, cash and carry a change of clothes just in case your luggage is "misdirected". do you know how to military roll your clothes? look it up on youtube or get those travel space saver bags or both.
i really can tell you good places to go i was there for classes for work so we didnt get out except for lunch & dinner. really good mexican & really great bbq places.
okay i think that does it for me have fun!
It makes no sense to argue with crazy people cause crazy people don't have to make sense.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/colorfulcoffin ... _usernames
rainaraven
PRD Professor!

Postby Xine on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:18 pm

I've travelled all over North America to see Bedouin Soundclash...waiting for the day I go international.

Anyway, I always travel alone. Because A) I don't have any friends who like Bedouin as much as I do and B) Including someone slows my trip down and I end up having to do shit I don't want to do.

First thing's first...plan plan PLAN!! I'm an impeccable planner. A few weeks before you leave get everything ready. I rented a car on my trip to Calgary a few weeks ago. Make sure you have directions to and from everywhere you might go while you're there. Research some local restaurants or stores you'd like to go to. If you buy anything keep in mind that you can mail it to yourself to keep your luggage the same both ways.

If directions say 25 minutes from point a to point b, give yourself an hour. You'll thank me in the long run. It's better to be early than late!

In terms of packing, I'll probably be no help because I've never checked luggage in my life. I operate out of a well-packed and trusty Jansport.
Xine
PRD Professor!

Postby caseystilletto on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:05 am

Dallas is not that scary--going to some crazy urban place like New York can pretty terrifying if you're not prepared.
See if your hotel has any kind of courtesy pick-up. If not, call them and ask what cab service they recommend--maybe they can get you a sweet deal!
DFW airport is pretty easy to get around, there are lots of signs and the employees are very helpful. It's been a minute since I've flown, but I think they announce your baggage claim number at landing so you know which thingamajig to go to.
Once you get here--we do have the DART public transportation buses and trains if you want to save money, or if not, take another cab to the venue. Dallas in April is pretty warm--but bring a light jacket and a mini-umbrella because the weather can change at the drop of a hat.

What band and event are you going to out of curiosity?
caseystilletto
PRD Professor!

Postby ilovemarkunseen on Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:31 pm

thanks everyone for the tips. i feel confident already. I have a detailed list for everything to pack. I've called the hotel its a $20 fare each way. so i just decided to rent the car from the airport its will only cost 116 for all 5 days I didnt think that was to to bad. here is my list of thing if you can think of anything im missing please tell me.
oh and dont laugh but im going to see 100 monkeys. went to see them for the first time nov 29, 2009 and by the second time i went to see them dec 26, 2009 i had already decided to go to see them in texas. In a little under 5 months ive seen them alot texas will be 16,17 and 18th show.

Media
cellphone & charger
camera, case, batteries and extra memory
ipod & charger
headphones

Other
Books
stamps & address book
trash bag
zip lock bag
lent roller
krazy glue
bed sheet

Toiletries
aspirin
allergy medicine
heart burn medicine
tooth brush, tooth paste & mouthwash
hair brush
hair care (hair pins, clips, flowers, bandanna, rubber bands)
deodorant
face wash
sunscreen & sun glasses
shampoo & conditioner
q-tips
bubble bath
lotion
make up (eye shadow, mascara, lip stick and eyeliner)
razor & shaving gel

Clothing
Bathing suit (2) & cover up
bras (3)
undies
dresses
shorts
skirts
shirts
pants
p.js
jacket
hat
shoes (creepers, sandals, slip on)
cowboy boots & jack

anything i am missing?
Rockabilly Pastry Chef
Doing what I love and loving what I do!!!
http://www.myspace.com/goodluckcakes
ilovemarkunseen
DIY Demon

Return to On the lam...