Uses for crayons??

Quick tips for on the road and about town. Those little strange uses for random thingies.... Post it here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Uses for crayons??

Postby hairspray tokyo on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:51 pm

My apologies if this is in the wrong category.
Alright, so I work in a diner and we have crayons for kids to color with. Every Monday, I have to organize the cups of crayons and throw away the broken ones. I don't really know why, because it's not like it matters if crayons are broken or not, but whatever. Of course, I don't throw them away, because that would be fucking ridiculous and such a waste. So, I called the women and children's homeless shelter and asked them if they would take them, but they said no. So I've been trying to think of some cool arts and craft type thing to do with them that isn't coloring with them. Any ideas? Maybe involving melting them or something??
hairspray tokyo
You deserve an award......

Re: Uses for crayons??

Postby poorandweird on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:59 pm

YOU KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE
CAUSE IT'S THE POLITICS OF CRUELTY
THAT WE LIVE FOR
poorandweird
PRD Professor!

Postby PeaceOfCake on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:25 pm

http://www.instructables.com/id/ReUse_ReMake_Crayons/

thats about all i could come up with but craftster.org had some good stuff.

make sure to post pictures of what ever it is thatyou make.
"Is one more than a threesom a foursome or just an orgy?"
"I think it's just an orgy"
"Oh, well can I get a birthday orgy?!?"

PeaceOfCake

Postby Brutus on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:00 pm

we used to make "stained glass" with them.

take a piece of wax paper, put some different coloured crayon shavins in it... make a pattern.. or whatever. then another peice of wax paper on top. iron it for a little bit underneath a towel or rag. the glue a border around it of construction paper.

Usually around christmas we did it. Used red and greeen crayons and made shapes like candy canes, trees and etc. It was cool... when I was 4
Brutus
PRD Professor!

Postby hairspray tokyo on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:05 pm

i just melted some onto white candles and made patterns and stuff. they're pretty cool but im out of candles now haha.
hairspray tokyo

Postby kisszombies on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:36 pm

dude, if you have colors similar to each other heat them up in a CHEAP pan, and them pour them into ice water :p they look like lava rocks and are really fun to color with or even just look at.
kisszombies
PRD Professor!

Postby PlatinumKirsty on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:27 am

How about taking them to a childrens ward in a hospital near you? I'm sure they'll always appreciate help in keeping the poorly kids occupied.
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.
PlatinumKirsty
You're getting the hang of it!

Postby sarahXedge on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:36 am

PlatinumKirsty wrote:How about taking them to a childrens ward in a hospital near you? I'm sure they'll always appreciate help in keeping the poorly kids occupied.

probably not broken crayons. there are a lot of rules about what those sorts of places can take. my mum used to work for a refuge and they couldnt take anything that wasnt new in its packet and even then there were heaps of rules.
GLITTER....THE HERPES OF THE CRAFTWORLD.

http://sarahjaneinnes.blogspot.com/
sarahXedge
PRD Professor!

Postby TheWorstIdea on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:49 am

You can use crayons to fill in gouges in wood furniture and wood or laminate floors: melt a crayon piece until it's pliable, smoosh it into the gouge in question, and buff with a clean cloth until smooth. Useful if you're, say, in a rental situation or looking to spruce up some furniture.
TheWorstIdea
PRD Professor!

Postby 9876511! on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:19 pm

Brutus wrote:we used to make "stained glass" with them.

take a piece of wax paper, put some different coloured crayon shavins in it... make a pattern.. or whatever. then another peice of wax paper on top. iron it for a little bit underneath a towel or rag. the glue a border around it of construction paper.

Usually around christmas we did it. Used red and greeen crayons and made shapes like candy canes, trees and etc. It was cool... when I was 4

We used to do that too. Except we used "fall colors" and placed a leaf in between the wax sheets. Haha
9876511!
PRD Professor!

Postby ComradeM on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:39 pm

haha thats the first thing I thought of too. I WAS awesome...When I was like 4.
"Offer them what they secretly want and they of course immediately become panic-stricken."—Kerouac
ComradeM
PRD Professor!

Postby Brutus on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:18 am

ComradeM wrote:

I dunno. Im pretty rad now.
Brutus
PRD Professor!

Postby ComradeM on Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:42 pm

Brutus wrote:
ComradeM wrote:

I dunno. Im pretty rad now.

That was supposed to say IT was awesome, not I was awesome...cuz I'm still awesome. And so are you. haha
"Offer them what they secretly want and they of course immediately become panic-stricken."—Kerouac
ComradeM
PRD Professor!

Postby RadioBoy on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:16 am

First thing I thought of was stained glass crayons. Beat me to it

A good tip is to keep one thats the same colour as your car kicking around, and if theres any small scratches or nicks, just colour over them.

Something one of my friends did was drill holes through the bottom of a bunch of crayons, and made a necklace out of them by spacing them out on a piece of waxed string.
I'm a girl
RadioBoy
DIY Demon

Postby bacteriadance on Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:52 am

I stumbled upon this. Pretty cool.

http://craftydaisies.com/2007/07/26/crayon-nibbles/
bacteriadance
PRD Professor!

Next

Return to On the lam...