Substitute Teaching = Easy $$$

Quick tips for on the road and about town. Those little strange uses for random thingies.... Post it here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Re: Substitute Teaching = Easy $$$

Postby dirtyrottenlove on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:58 am

KommaderofKaos wrote:Helen,

I think that I told you that Ill be moving back to Jersey soon and I would like to sign up for subbing as well once I get the credits that I need. I have a couple of questions for you.
Would you happen to know:
1. If the college credits that I earned in Philadelphia would apply even if they do not transfer back to my school in Jersey?
2. Any college credits as long as it is a 100 level+ course?
3. If your Associates degree requires you to obtain 64?

Well, you need an official college transcript. I guess you can send them one from your old school or new school, whichever has the qualifying amount.

Any credits count.

Im getting my bachelor's degree so idk how many credits an associate degree requires, however, in NJ it doesnt matter if you got your degree yet, it is based soley on the amount of credits you racked in!
dirtyrottenlove
PRD Professor!

Postby KommaderofKaos on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:27 pm

dirtyrottenlove wrote:

Well, you need an official college transcript. I guess you can send them one from your old school or new school, whichever has the qualifying amount.

Any credits count.

Im getting my bachelor's degree so idk how many credits an associate degree requires, however, in NJ it doesnt matter if you got your degree yet, it is based soley on the amount of credits you racked in!

Saweet. I think I need just one more semester. 8) Thanks
KommaderofKaos
You deserve an award......

Postby luckylucy on Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:18 am

My mother is a substitue teacher. She likes it most days... there are those however when she comes home informing me of the evils of high school students, and special needs children.
I do suppose however, that there is a way to avoid the substitute teacher drama. From my experience, it was always a game to see how far one could push the individual.
If you make is very clear that you will demand respect, but still be lax at the same time, I think you'll do fine.
It's just how you present yourselfs to the students.
luckylucy

Postby punk_sk on Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:34 am

I've become a substitute teacher this year. I don't hate it, but it's taught me that I don't want to become a teacher. I mostly sub in the auto shop but I have been called in for other classes.

I have to say it's rather boring. Most of the time there's not enough work assigned to keep the students busy all period. Plus, there's always a couple students who refuse to do the work, saying that they'll do it at home, so in one way or another they disrupt the rest of the class.

I will say that the students in my town have horrible tastes in music. I see a bunch of band shirts a lot but they're all really shitty hardcore bands like Attack Attack.
Terrorists win.
punk_sk

Postby just_icarus on Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:57 pm

punk_sk wrote:I've become a substitute teacher this year. I don't hate it, but it's taught me that I don't want to become a teacher. I mostly sub in the auto shop but I have been called in for other classes.

I have to say it's rather boring. Most of the time there's not enough work assigned to keep the students busy all period. Plus, there's always a couple students who refuse to do the work, saying that they'll do it at home, so in one way or another they disrupt the rest of the class.

I will say that the students in my town have horrible tastes in music. I see a bunch of band shirts a lot but they're all really shitty hardcore bands like Attack Attack.

1) Subbing is nothing like being an actual teacher! There's no opportunity to build relationships with students, you don't have the chance to build a curriculum, the dynamic between you and the students is entirely different because they view you as disposable and as someone who isn't emotionally invested in them. Teaching is about so much more than being the person in front of a class spewing information and trying to get kids to do work!
2) AttackAttack is totally not hardcore :p
destroy / create
just_icarus
PRD Professor!

Previous

Return to On the lam...