Leraning to Drive

Quick tips for on the road and about town. Those little strange uses for random thingies.... Post it here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Re: Leraning to Drive

Postby glampunkbarbiedoll on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:56 pm

fif wrote:I like the idea of your parents helping you out paying for driving school. Im 21 years old and still terrified to drive, so i dont have my license. But now that im pregnant i need it so im going to take a driving school, i think it is worth the money, i feel its a small price to pay for a skill you will probably use just about everyday for a very long time.

They might be willing to help pay. I 'm not sure but I talked to my mom again today and there might be hope for that.
glampunkbarbiedoll
You deserve an award......

Postby allgoodgirlsarepagan on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:26 pm

Have you thought about giving your friends added incentive to help you learn? Maybe drive to Starbucks and buy them a drink or something. Sometimes if someone gets a reward, even a small one, they'll be more compliant.
allgoodgirlsarepagan

Postby babycham on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:00 pm

i was/am 21 when i started driving lessons and i passed my test yesterday HELL YEAH!
i only had 1 lesson a week with a driving instructor, and no practise in anyone elses car just once a week for an hour thats all because thats all i could affort it took 9 months, so dont worry if you cant get someone to help you practise in between if you can get a instructor do it that way
babycham

Postby glampunkbarbiedoll on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:17 pm

I looked for some driving classes and the most affordable ones are at a community college I'm about to go to. i could probally afford it myself but there doesnt seem to be that many lessons. I'm gonna try that anyway.
glampunkbarbiedoll

Postby mindy_does_stuff on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:36 pm

glampunkbarbiedoll wrote:I looked for some driving classes and the most affordable ones are at a community college I'm about to go to. i could probally afford it myself but there doesnt seem to be that many lessons. I'm gonna try that anyway.

Even 7 45-min lessons are worth it, especially when you're with someone who has taught new drivers the ropes before. I went through a driving school (not Drivers Ed, which is a bit different), and even though it was a bit pricy, it was well spent
mindy_does_stuff
You're getting the hang of it!

Postby edwardoness on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:35 pm

Im having the same problem!
edwardoness
DIY Demon

Postby CaterpillarGirl on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:09 am

I would recommend getting professional lessons. I didn't learn to drive until recently, and I'm 19 as well. I've been having lessons for the last couple of months and even though they're pretty expensive I think they're a good investment. My driving instructor is really good, and she has the patience of a saint, haha. Which is a good thing because I'm not a good driver at all. My mum freaks out when she's in the car with me driving, I don't think she'd make a very good teacher.
Remember that at any given moment
there are a thousand things
you can love.
CaterpillarGirl
PRD Professor!

Postby devotchka_spikes on Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:33 am

=]
Youtube.
or google.

How to Drive
devotchka_spikes
PRD Professor!

Postby PlatinumKirsty on Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:14 am

I'm learning again at the moment and its a real financial strain, over here it costs me about £50 for a 2 hour lesson, which is a massive part of my wages. I just keep telling myself it'll be worth it once its all done! Do any of the driving schools offer discounts? Over here you can usually get a discount if your a student or if you block book a few hours of lessons.

Having a parent drive with you can actually make you more nervous, my dad just yelled at me and I got pissed off and drove like an idiot because of it. Could you ask another family member, like an auntie or something? Having lessons with an instructor is good because they won't expect you to be a brilliant, confident driver right away and won't panic like your parents would.
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.
PlatinumKirsty
You're getting the hang of it!

Postby glampunkbarbiedoll on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:39 pm

PlatinumKirsty wrote:I'm learning again at the moment and its a real financial strain, over here it costs me about £50 for a 2 hour lesson, which is a massive part of my wages. I just keep telling myself it'll be worth it once its all done! Do any of the driving schools offer discounts? Over here you can usually get a discount if your a student or if you block book a few hours of lessons.

Having a parent drive with you can actually make you more nervous, my dad just yelled at me and I got pissed off and drove like an idiot because of it. Could you ask another family member, like an auntie or something? Having lessons with an instructor is good because they won't expect you to be a brilliant, confident driver right away and won't panic like your parents would.

yea that is true. My mom is willing to help and is calm and all but if I can afford it pro lessons would be cool since they make insurance cheaper. But most of them are $2000 for a full term I guess lasts a few weeks I dunno. Thats a lot of money.......The one at my community college is only a couple hundred for a few lessons but I still would need someone to practice with.
glampunkbarbiedoll

Postby glampunkbarbiedoll on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:40 pm

devotchka_spikes wrote:=]
Youtube.
or google.

How to Drive

lol funny I am doing that right know...
glampunkbarbiedoll

Postby ravonia13 on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:34 pm

I'd like to point out that in California you HAVE to get your permit before you go for your license/get behide the wheel. It's just a written test that you get 3 chances at (you can take all in the same day), and once you pass you can legally drive with any licensed driver 18 or older. I forget how many you are allowed to miss, but the test is hella easy and mostly just common sense. Once you get your permit, you can then make a driving test appointment (right there or wait and make one online later). Odds are that there won't be an open appointment for a month anyways, and if you don't feel like you're ready when your test comes up you can always just cancel and reschedule. Anyways, to get your permit you just need either a California ID or your birth certificate (the real deal, no copies) and $28 and you'll get the forms at the DMV to fill out.
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW: http://dmv.ca.gov/ (also, pick up a booklet at your local DMV, it has all the laws and whatnot that you need to know [and the website also has practice permit tests, take them, they help!])

Also, getting your permit might help you in other ways too. Once I got my brother to take me to get my permit, my parents started taking me seriously and stopped ignoring me/making excuses and actually started teaching me to drive. So maybe your mom will help you once you get your permit? Your friends might actually come through too. Especially since if you don't have a permit or license and get pulled over, you're kinda fucked.
ravonia13
DIY Demon

Postby namelesswonder on Mon May 11, 2009 7:15 pm

Tip for driving in general: breathe. If you come to a stop sign, take a deep breath, hold it, let it out slowly as you go forward. I get really tense and have to remind myself to untense my thighs as I'm driving, and I have to remember to breathe too haha. Pull over if you get upset or too tense and just take a moment to calm down and collect yourself.
Introduce a little anarchy, you upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.
My blog - updated regularly about no particular thing.
namelesswonder
PRD Professor!

Postby KelleyCarnivore on Mon May 11, 2009 10:21 pm

i wonder if its just the area that i'm from because a lot of people here have dirtbikes, go-karts, and 4-wheelers...but i dont really remember not knowing how to drive. even at my driver's ed class, we learned rules in the classroom, and then drove for 3 hours and that was it.

anyone else feel the same?
tattoo and makeup artist, body piercer,crafter & framboise loving lady from the deep south.

AAA tattoo, Lafayette, LA.
KelleyCarnivore

Previous

Return to On the lam...