couch surfing

Quick tips for on the road and about town. Those little strange uses for random thingies.... Post it here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Re: couch surfing

Postby poorandweird on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:31 pm

Is there a UK version ? I probably wouldn't my name down for it - i don't travel much and also i live pointlessly far away from any major places - but I just wondered if this scheme extended beyond the US ...
YOU KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE
CAUSE IT'S THE POLITICS OF CRUELTY
THAT WE LIVE FOR
poorandweird
PRD Professor!

Postby punk_sk on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:46 am

poorandweird wrote:Is there a UK version ? I probably wouldn't my name down for it - i don't travel much and also i live pointlessly far away from any major places - but I just wondered if this scheme extended beyond the US ...

it's world wide. it's not all staying at someone's house but there is hosting as well. that's an important part of it as well, even if you're not in a major area.
Terrorists win.
punk_sk
You deserve an award......

Postby LukaRiot on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:36 am

Interesting concept... I dunno if I'd wanna let strangers stay with me 'cause I'm extremely paranoid thanks to people stealing some of my favourite things over the years, and defiantely wouldn't stay at those random people's houses by myself but deinately sounds cool if I went with someone I know.
LukaRiot

Postby HorrorDoll on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:02 pm

This Sounds Pretty Amazing
-Dead End Girl for a Dead End Guy-
Check it out <3http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7130242
HorrorDoll

Postby MotherNaturesRevenge on Tue May 19, 2009 1:17 am

allowing peeps to stay at your house has it's advantages and disadvantages, but then again all the kids we had stay at our house were not recommended by couchsurfing.com. bed, table, chair are what a squat legal in the uk...in the u.s. we're not so lucky. my boyfriends traveling and i decided not to go because i don't think it'd be fun putting up with all the bullshit.
MotherNaturesRevenge

Postby CidErWhiskey on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:12 pm

I thought I'd bring this back to life.

Had a couple of couch surfers crash with us at our mates these last two days. They were really sound, easy going people. They'd been travelling for about 4 and a half months, and didn't have any negative experiences to tell us, just a few odd ones.

Me and Jim are planning on doing europe early next year and then over to the USA and Canada once we're done with europe.

Their tips for money saving whilst travelling:
- Couchsurf
- Hitchhike
- Camp

Any of you guys do it? Going to do it? etc etc etc
Peace through powerviolence.
Distortion til deafness.
http://www.last.fm/user/Wedster
MCFC
CidErWhiskey

Postby lolaebola on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:14 pm

just need to be careful if you're putting you're house up as a place to stay we had a guy stay and he ended up being psycho and broke windows and shit not a fun experience but we have met some awesome people as well :)
lolaebola

Postby CidErWhiskey on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:00 am

When I put our couch up as a maybe (I'm rarely YES as I'm always working). My tip to avoid the crazies? Only respond to personalised couch requests, just as a sign they've made the effort to read your profile (meandmybfhaveonetogether). For us: If the message is all gravy, I'll let them know what's available, how long for, etc (which is usually avaiable on our profile but theres no harm reiterating)

Copy and paste messages send up an alarm with me, and it's an instant no go. They always just get a polite copy and paste decline reply. Also personal messages (these go straight to your inbox) arn't ideal either. I don't know why people can't just like, click the "couch surf with.." button and do it properly, it makes things so much easier, as the personal message folder makes things messy.

As you probably know though, you can always get a weirdo, but generally, they're rare and shouldn't put people off this. It really is such an awesome thing.
Peace through powerviolence.
Distortion til deafness.
http://www.last.fm/user/Wedster
MCFC
CidErWhiskey

Postby voiddj on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:45 pm

I couchsurfed earlier in the year in Detroit. Had great hosts who took me out and recommended me places to go which I wouldn't have known to see.

My friend also used it loads when she was travelling around Europe and really only had good experiences. All about reading the hosts profile, looking at their feedback, and going for vouched and identity checked hosts.
voiddj
PRD Professor!

Postby Fuchsia on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:02 pm

Just wanted to add that me and a friend of mine stayed at two CS's places during our trip in July and we had a great experience. Definitely better than sleeping in a field or outside the station like we also did. :mrgreen:
You get to know places you wouldn't find out about if you're new to the place you're travelling to, which is great.
And I know we have to go, I realize we always have to turn away, always have to go back to real lives
Fuchsia
PRD Professor!

Previous

Return to On the lam...