All those half full waterbottles?

Quick tips for on the road and about town. Those little strange uses for random thingies.... Post it here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

All those half full waterbottles?

Postby Donna Roxz0r on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:19 pm

So if you're anything like me or my friends, you drinks tons of waterbottles, <b>tons</b>. To the point where your room (or locker) gets full to the brim of waterbottles, some empty, but some still half filled with water from can'tquiterememberwhen. Well, you're certainly not going to drink the mystery water - but how about giving it to something that will? The plants!

A nun at my school saw me dumping all my half-full bottles out one day and told me that if I was just going to toss them then she would take them to water the plants in her office. I was pretty cheesed I had never thought of the idea before! From then on, I save all my half-used waterbottles when I periodically clean out my room/car/locker and I go around watering all the plants on my porch with them.

Instead of chucking all that water into the trash or pouring it down the sink give it to your neglected fern or droopy violets!
Donna Roxz0r

Re: All those half full waterbottles?

Postby Jessucka on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:11 pm

UGH! Water bottles are such a waste of money and so bad for the environment! heh sorry....
Jessucka
You deserve an award......

Postby dirtyrottenlove on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:35 pm

I have a BIG sport bottle that I fill with ice, water, and a squeeze of lemon from a 1 gallon bottle each morning.. so i dont use as many waterbottles!
dirtyrottenlove
PRD Professor!

Postby lizzymahoney on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:49 pm

I hear ya, but sometimes it just makes sense to take a water bottle.

I have a case of 20 oz btls that I bought maybe two years ago before a hurricane. I also filled many jugs with tap water then, but since we didn't know what would happen here, the bottled water was a good choice. Since then, I've used a couple on trips or to places I knew had really awful water. You are supposed to replace the bottled water like every six months or so, but it's still fine. And we're coming up on yet another hurricane season.

When I use one, I try to get a few uses out of it over several days before recycling it. Some of them wind up in a cooler in the car for random water needs out in the hot sun. I've cooled migrating turtles off with water, used them to rinse sand off my feet, wash dirty hands, water a cutting I've taken, wash down a wet dog poop after scooping what I could. Ive got one on my desk now that I've refilled probably four or five times since I opened it last week.

There are lots of reasons to have water in bottles. It's a little better for the environment if we get a few uses out of each bottle.
lizzymahoney
DIY Demon

Postby Chaosbean on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:25 pm

It's a little better for the environment if we get a few uses out of each bottle.

Its really not good for your body to reuse the water bottles, they aren't made to be reused and leak toxins into the water. I'm not saying don't reuse the bottles, I'm saying don't reuse them for drinking water.

Better bet for consumption, an aluminum water bottle.
Passion before Fashion

"The Bean, Queen, Holiest of all PRD members"

"If your heart was broken you'd be DEAD"
Chaosbean
PRD Professor!

Postby PsychoWreckingPit on Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:40 am

I usually end up watering my plants or giving the water to my dogs.
PsychoWreckingPit
You deserve an award......

Postby caseystilletto on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:23 pm

I got an awesome double-insulated (so it doesn't sweat condensation..great for sticking in backpacks) water bottle with a straw that has a cool lid that kind of twists to cover the drinking part of the straw..$8 at Target, and it's hot pink..best purchase I made in a long time, because I drink a ton of water. It does cut down on how much plastic you throw away....
caseystilletto
PRD Professor!

Postby Max on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:19 pm

Don't get me wrong, we're all doing what we can, but what's wrong with drinking water from a glass?
I know, I know: transport. For transport, why not a metal thermos, or a paper cup?
Everyday I go to work with a metal thermos filled with something cold, and a paper cup with hot tea. Yes, even in summer. At home, i drink out of cans that get recycled, or out of a glass that can be washed (usually the glass). I don't like a whole lot of packaging, so I prefer my soda in 2 lt bottles, and my juice in bottles as well.
And so you gotta be strong You've got to just speak in tongues About how you belong
In popular culture - dEUS
Max
PRD Professor!

Postby adictedtolove77 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:30 pm

Am i the only one who drinks my mystery water? I mean it is just water. Whatever i don't drink out of bottles I stick in the fridge and drink them again.
Okay, ramblers, let's get rambling.
http://www.pressedandscrewed.com
adictedtolove77
PRD Professor!

Postby bella-lou-ghostie on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:34 pm

max, i think a lot of people buy them when theyre out and about . i know i certainly do . most places over here wont give you a glass of water if youre not buying anything else so i buy thm if i have drank all the juice or water ive taken out with me.
this gun dont care who it shoots . .. . . . .
bella-lou-ghostie
PRD Professor!

Postby bella-lou-ghostie on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:35 pm

adictedtolove77 wrote:Am i the only one who drinks my mystery water? I mean it is just water. Whatever i don't drink out of bottles I stick in the fridge and drink them again.

me too =)
this gun dont care who it shoots . .. . . . .
bella-lou-ghostie
PRD Professor!

Postby poorandweird on Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:22 pm

bella-lou-ghostie wrote:
adictedtolove77 wrote:Am i the only one who drinks my mystery water? I mean it is just water. Whatever i don't drink out of bottles I stick in the fridge and drink them again.

me too =)

i third that.
YOU KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE
CAUSE IT'S THE POLITICS OF CRUELTY
THAT WE LIVE FOR
poorandweird
PRD Professor!

Postby bacteriadance on Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:05 pm

Max wrote:Don't get me wrong, we're all doing what we can, but what's wrong with drinking water from a glass?
I know, I know: transport. For transport, why not a metal thermos, or a paper cup?
Everyday I go to work with a metal thermos filled with something cold, and a paper cup with hot tea. Yes, even in summer. At home, i drink out of cans that get recycled, or out of a glass that can be washed (usually the glass). I don't like a whole lot of packaging, so I prefer my soda in 2 lt bottles, and my juice in bottles as well.

Yeah, I do this too, but when I'm on the run I try my best to grab a reusable plastic cup (like one from a gas station) or my nalgene before a water bottle.
bacteriadance
PRD Professor!

Postby Max on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:08 pm

bella-lou-ghostie wrote:max, i think a lot of people buy them when theyre out and about . i know i certainly do . most places over here wont give you a glass of water if youre not buying anything else so i buy thm if i have drank all the juice or water ive taken out with me.

When I go to restaurants, they give me a glass of water. So, I'm thinking you must mean things like convenience stores and fast food places. I honestly try to avoid such places, but when I do go there, I usually bring along my own beverage. Most of the sodas I enjoy come in bottles, like Root beer, or Jones varieties of soda. Those that don't, like Enviga, come in a can. Honestly, I don't think I'm all that strange, but I rarely use plastic bottles.
And so you gotta be strong You've got to just speak in tongues About how you belong
In popular culture - dEUS
Max
PRD Professor!

Postby bacteriadance on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:18 pm

Max wrote:
bella-lou-ghostie wrote:max, i think a lot of people buy them when theyre out and about . i know i certainly do . most places over here wont give you a glass of water if youre not buying anything else so i buy thm if i have drank all the juice or water ive taken out with me.

When I go to restaurants, they give me a glass of water. So, I'm thinking you must mean things like convenience stores and fast food places. I honestly try to avoid such places, but when I do go there, I usually bring along my own beverage. Most of the sodas I enjoy come in bottles, like Root beer, or Jones varieties of soda. Those that don't, like Enviga, come in a can. Honestly, I don't think I'm all that strange, but I rarely use plastic bottles.

Good for you Max! I wish I could say the same (although I don't drink soda at all)--but hopefully that will change once I move!!! But usually when I buy tea it comes in a glass bottle...
bacteriadance
PRD Professor!

Next

Return to On the lam...