riding a bike!

Quick tips for on the road and about town. Those little strange uses for random thingies.... Post it here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Re: riding a bike!

Postby MotherNaturesRevenge on Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:20 am

daisyfuck wrote:I want to ride a bike so bad. Granted, I want a bike so bad too. I used to love riding mine for hours before my dad threw it away as I got older.

It's lame, but even though I love the idea of riding a bike to go from place to place, I'm a really socially anxious person, and around where I live if I decide to walk someplace, I'm almost always harassed by guys screaming shit from their cars at me or men in cars slowing down next to me and acting like chauvinistic pricks. Whether it be about my tits, ass, hair, piercings, whatever. It gets me really nervous.

But that's when I'm walking and have a slower means of travel than a car, which makes me feel cornered. Maybe a bike would be better.

that's the thing about walking...dumb asses always have to yell when they see someone walking...it's just the thing to do. whether you can understand them or not. i got that shit too. i wish i would've started riding sooner. like anna said it's easy to find a used bike somewhere because unfortunately people are so in and out of bikes. i'm about to get another one actually, an old royce union women's bike for $13! i think all it needs is a chain. it's like a 3 speed, but it looks like a fixed gear. i'm sorry, but i don't think i could be a bike snob with a fixed gear. or maybe i could because i hardly change gears. it's just harder riding on those thin ass tires. sure riding up hill stucks, but you get used to it and riding down hill...riding down hill is just fuck....nothin' like it...unless you ride over a bunch of bumps lmao.
MotherNaturesRevenge
You deserve an award......

Postby linse on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:13 am

If you have steep hills in your neighbourhood, get some mountainbike with gears for hills.
Depending on the size/number of teeth of the gears your bike will either be more suitable for hills/mountains or more suitable for high speeds.

Did anyone of you ever think of "uglyfying" your bike to prevent stealing?
With my recent bike I took this approach, at least kind of. I got all parts in matte black, even the spokes and it has no brand name and nothing on no item. I also invested in the most "mean-looking" (but also good ;)) big chain lock I could find. Instead of quick-release I got some screws that can be only removed with my personal tool, like a key every bike has a different tool (PIDlock).
The bike is almost invisible the way it looks now, but I know that some people even go farther and paint their good quality bikes in rusty colours, put some duct tape on the seat and so on - so they have a good bike but it looks like its worthless and old and nobody is going to steal it.

If you get a sore ass, try maybe a leather saddle. I have one and it's great, once it is adjusted to your ass. You have to break it in, like boots (or get a used one). Also, as said above, it does depend on your riding speed. If you ride quicker, you have more pressure on you legs and not on your ass. I did 140 km (87 miles!) rides and did not get a sore ass.
But the best thing about being older? - No one tries to tell you "It's a phase!" anymore. ;)
linse

Postby Suzette on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:10 am

I tried uglyfying, but it doesn't seem to work around here. In my uni city, bikes are public property that you just take and ride whenever it's convenient.

But seriously, riding opposite from traffic, that must be the most ridiculous law I've ever heard!! Anyone riding a bike must be suicidal then... In here most streets have seperate pink bike lanes. It's illegal for cars to get into the bike lane. Of course, it's obligated to have a light on your bike. It would be really dangerous if you'd ride without lights - just like driving a car without lights would be dangerous. There's a huge fine on it.

Why don't politicians stimulate riding a bike? It's good for the environment, it might reduce the obesity problem for a bit, people on a low income could save a lot of money, we can build parks instead of big ugly roads...

In here there is this project though, I bought a bike recently and I can pay it from my income before tax. Which means I don't have to pay income tax for the amount of money my bike cost me. It will save me E100 on my income tax.
"By God," says he, "I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."
Suzette

Postby sapphire_distortion on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:41 pm

I'm having some trouble with my bike - it's like the chain goes slack. I can pedal and it doesn't actually turn the wheels. This only happens every once in a while, and it used to be something that only happened when it was in a lower gear, but now it's started happening in the highest gear. Does anyone know what causes this and if I can fix it myself, or if I should just tote it to a bike shop?
sapphire_distortion
PRD Professor!

Postby Suzette on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:59 am

Does that problem last for only a couple of seconds, or longer?

It sounds like the chain is trying to "transfer" ( I don't know how to call it) to another gear and then slips back. I have no idea why bikes do that, or how to fix it, but quite some of my older bikes have that. Maybe it has to do with a gear starting to wear out? I've never had any of these gears fixed, because gear problems are usually expensive (mainly labour costs) and I only had it every once in a while.

You could always get some quotes though, maybe it's not that expensive. Unless you're a bike expert or do not mind there's a chance you'll ruin the bike, I'd rather not go try and fix it myself. It's quite difficult.
"By God," says he, "I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."
Suzette

Postby sapphire_distortion on Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:45 pm

Suzette wrote:Does that problem last for only a couple of seconds, or longer?

It sounds like the chain is trying to "transfer" ( I don't know how to call it) to another gear and then slips back. I have no idea why bikes do that, or how to fix it, but quite some of my older bikes have that. Maybe it has to do with a gear starting to wear out? I've never had any of these gears fixed, because gear problems are usually expensive (mainly labour costs) and I only had it every once in a while.

You could always get some quotes though, maybe it's not that expensive. Unless you're a bike expert or do not mind there's a chance you'll ruin the bike, I'd rather not go try and fix it myself. It's quite difficult.

It's never lasted any more than 30 seconds or so, but that's long enough for me to almost lose my balance since I'm still getting used to bike riding again.

I definitely don't want to fix it myself unless it's something super easy! haha! It's my mom's old vintage bike, they fixed it up and brought it here for me, I'd be crushed if anything happened to it.
sapphire_distortion
PRD Professor!

Postby MissJinxy on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:23 pm

I move to the netherlands few months ago and at the beginning ride a bike was like hell! I thought i could die on that thing.. at the end i just got used to it and with great satisfaction i also couldnt avoid to notice i lost weight :mrgreen:

If you want to use your bike for everything i suggest you, if you dont already own one of course, to install a basket or just a crate in front of your bike.. i usually trow my bag in it.. and if you cover the basket inside with a piece of fabric i think is really useful, especially if like me you forget to close your bag before to throw it in the basket losing everything during the ride :roll:

but watch out wich kind of fabric you put in the basket in case is gonna rain..

you can also put a bike bag on the back, it's really useful, especially if you go to the grocery store or you need to carry small things.. i whish i had mine on few days ago.. i was carring my boyfriend's record collection in a bag and first: it really annoying when you are biking with bags and they keep moving making you lose a bit of control.. and second.. i was standing with my bike waiting and i dont really rember how but i lost balance and my bike felt on me leaving me stuck on the ground under the bike and the stupid records.. :evil:

anyway i love this bike bags.. looking forward to have them

and another thing..
when you lock your bike dont lock only the front wheel cause thief can just unscrew the wheel off and take your bike away·. just lock everything together.. maybe sound a stupid suggestion but there's still people that lock their bike in that way
..You say I am a Bitch like it's a bad thing..
MissJinxy

Previous

Return to On the lam...