riding a bike!

Quick tips for on the road and about town. Those little strange uses for random thingies.... Post it here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Re: riding a bike!

Postby Suzette on Thu May 21, 2009 10:34 am

MotherNaturesRevenge wrote:i found this:
http://jwz.livejournal.com/883988.html

looking on this:
http://us2.ixquick.com/eng/

thought it was pretty interesting...the whole "your bike is GONNA get stolen" thing makes you think twice about tricking out your bike TOO much.

I live in the Netherlands, where kids under 25 rarely own a car, and everyone goes everywhere by bike... I've only had my bike stolen once and it could've been avoided, my mum forgot to lock it. If you buy a proper lock it won't get stolen. Locks can get pretty expensive but they're worth it if it means you can keep your bike. Mine had a rrp of E30.

Stealing prevention tips!

* It's important to always attach your bike to something that cannot be moved and is pretty solid itself. There's no use in attaching your bike to a fence when it's really easy to break the fence itself.
* A bike thief usually uses a bolt cutter to quickly break the lock, then carry the bike into a van and take it home where they'll have more equipment. Thus, the only thing that really matters is how and where you attach your lock. Make sure to always attach the lock more than 3 feet above the ground. When the chain is dangling to the ground, the thief can put the bolt cutter on the ground and use his body weight and it'll be easy to break even a very solid chain. When he can't use his body weight to lean on the bolt cutter, it'll be much harder or even impossible to break proper locks.
* A proper chainlock is hardsteel. It doesn't matter if the chain links are really big or not (because they might look solid but could be weak on the inside) it only matters if they're hardsteel or not. The University of Delft did a test some years ago, they tried to break hardsteel chainlocks with a bolt cutter. They used a 60 cm boltcutter, the size preferred by thieves because you can hide it under your coat or in a backpack, and one with the best quality of blades available. An average person could create a power of 10,9 kiloNewton with this type of boltcutter (while not leaning on it). So, if you want a good lock, you need one that can resist a power of 10,9 kN. On this website you can find a list of all brands that passed the test: http://www.fietsersbond.nl/urlsearchres ... number=804 The website itself is in Dutch but most of these brands are sold worldwide.
* It helps to put your bike somewhere where a lot of people are waiting, like a bus stop. These people are bored and stare around. It's the other way round at a place where a lot of people are only passing by, because they don't pay attention to their surroundings.
* I always try to find a secured bike park for my bike. I don't know if they have these in other countries, but in here we have a secured car parks, but just for bikes. I really like those as they aren't expensive and you don't really have to lock your bike. It really is worth the money. I used to have a subscription to the park in my uni town and it cost me only E11 a month.
"By God," says he, "I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."
Suzette
You deserve an award......

Postby MotherNaturesRevenge on Fri May 22, 2009 1:43 am

i guess you gotta' know how to lock it up properly as well because some people will take the tires off even...i live in a small town so it's less likely, but...people will do strange things.
MotherNaturesRevenge

Postby MotherNaturesRevenge on Tue May 26, 2009 12:38 am

i got a kind of cheap gel seat for my bike...it was like $10. i had a flat so i had to let the bike slime in my tire rotate around so i was riding my bike up and down the street for a total of maybe 5 minutes and i didn't even shift myself up on the seat to adjust or anything and the thing started to rip in the back. lame. i don't know if i saved the receipt, but otherwise i'm gonna' sew it. don't buy a cheap one...i have a large ass, but damn that thing should hold up for 5 fuckin' minutes.
MotherNaturesRevenge

Postby opiiate on Tue May 26, 2009 12:48 am

my bike only has 3 gears, and is a very heavy oldschool cruiser. so finding ways to take slow, meandering roads is probably the best. I would go out on a path for a few hours, and get used to going fast, making awkward turns and stopping before heading out onto a main road, as drivers in my city as teast, are serious fucking pricks to people on bicycles. And watch out for taxi drivers, I think it's their mission to merk cyclists.
opiiate
PRD Professor!

Postby MotherNaturesRevenge on Thu May 28, 2009 2:13 am

the other day i was in a parking lot...taking a water break/breather and waiting for cars to pass so i could turn left where there's a sign that says not to turn left...and i was JUST clear enough and the fuckin' sheriff pulls up. i'm not about to get a petty ticket over something like that so i had to cross the street right in front of him and flip a bitch twice...if you bike you're supposed to follow traffic laws on a main road.i wish i coulda' just zipped past ha ha.
MotherNaturesRevenge

Postby devotchka_spikes on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:04 pm

ew, I took a 3 hour long bike ride.
I needed the fresh air.
My tire needed air and i kept hitting bumps it sucked.
now I am all sore. =/
devotchka_spikes
PRD Professor!

Postby Fuchsia on Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:26 am

MotherNaturesRevenge wrote:i got a kind of cheap gel seat for my bike...it was like $10. i had a flat so i had to let the bike slime in my tire rotate around so i was riding my bike up and down the street for a total of maybe 5 minutes and i didn't even shift myself up on the seat to adjust or anything and the thing started to rip in the back. lame. i don't know if i saved the receipt, but otherwise i'm gonna' sew it. don't buy a cheap one...i have a large ass, but damn that thing should hold up for 5 fuckin' minutes.

I don't think it's the softness of a seat that makes the difference, it's the shape. My bike at home is a 'new' one (well, about 9 years old) has a gel seat, but it's quite narrow. My bike in Ghent is from the 1960s, and has a really hard seat, but the shape is like a wide triangle, it's a million times better.
Old bikes are always better, they're a lot more comfortable since you sit straight up, they're a lot more sturdy and last longer. I don't even mind having no gears on my old one.
And I know we have to go, I realize we always have to turn away, always have to go back to real lives
Fuchsia
PRD Professor!

Postby MotherNaturesRevenge on Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:03 pm

Fuchsia wrote:
MotherNaturesRevenge wrote:i got a kind of cheap gel seat for my bike...it was like $10. i had a flat so i had to let the bike slime in my tire rotate around so i was riding my bike up and down the street for a total of maybe 5 minutes and i didn't even shift myself up on the seat to adjust or anything and the thing started to rip in the back. lame. i don't know if i saved the receipt, but otherwise i'm gonna' sew it. don't buy a cheap one...i have a large ass, but damn that thing should hold up for 5 fuckin' minutes.

I don't think it's the softness of a seat that makes the difference, it's the shape. My bike at home is a 'new' one (well, about 9 years old) has a gel seat, but it's quite narrow. My bike in Ghent is from the 1960s, and has a really hard seat, but the shape is like a wide triangle, it's a million times better.
Old bikes are always better, they're a lot more comfortable since you sit straight up, they're a lot more sturdy and last longer. I don't even mind having no gears on my old one.

i ditched the gel seat altogether finally because the material made it scoot too much. thust he rip i guess. i ended up having a sorer ass than before without out. i love my bike because it handles rough patches and rocks alot better and i can haul ass if i want and go around tight turns pretty well, but i don't like how much i have to lean and well my dumb ass wore a skirt yesterday and the bar is kind of hard to explain...it's a mountain bike and kind of a hybrid and i got my skirt stuck in the back fork and although i didn't fall or ruin it it's annoying...i might get an old school ladies bike later when i get better with my endurance. right now it's so hot sometimes and with my recovering from a sinus infection i try not to push riding if i don't feel like i can handle it that day.
MotherNaturesRevenge

Postby sapphire_distortion on Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:50 am

This bike will be mine soon!

I am superrrrrrr psyched! :D

edit: sorry the picture is huge. you can see it all by clicking view image or whatever.
sapphire_distortion
PRD Professor!

Postby MotherNaturesRevenge on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:47 am

sapphire_distortion wrote:This bike will be mine soon!

I am superrrrrrr psyched! :D

edit: sorry the picture is huge. you can see it all by clicking view image or whatever.

that's super neat and cool that it came with a basket...i need to take a pic of my bike soon...i have one of my fat ass on my step bro's bad ass chopper bike though...let me tell you that shit's not a good idea in a dress ha ha

MotherNaturesRevenge

Postby sabzilla on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:19 am

i havent ridden a bike since i was like 8 so when I tried biking to work a couple months ago, i almost died. I only work 4 miles away but i had to stop halfway through because I almost passed out. Plus I live on "winter hill".. which is like a 40 degree incline for a mile and half through a bad neighborhood so it's either go slow, look like an idiot, and potentially get mugged while biking home at 2 a.m., or try and go fast and almost have a heart attack.
Pluaa, I'm always self conscious that me on my lame mountain bike when i'm on pavement looks stupid enough since so many people are fucking bike snobs here.

I HATE HILLS.
Any tips for dealing with hills that are unnavoidable while still trying to get back in shape? also, about how long did it take for you to get back to shape? I'd like to know how long I should plan for cuz taking the T is getting outrageous.
If I can't dance, I don't want to be a part of your revolution.
sabzilla
You're getting the hang of it!

Postby ANNA BANANARCHY! on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:34 pm

sabzilla wrote:i havent ridden a bike since i was like 8 so when I tried biking to work a couple months ago, i almost died. I only work 4 miles away but i had to stop halfway through because I almost passed out. Plus I live on "winter hill".. which is like a 40 degree incline for a mile and half through a bad neighborhood so it's either go slow, look like an idiot, and potentially get mugged while biking home at 2 a.m., or try and go fast and almost have a heart attack.
Pluaa, I'm always self conscious that me on my lame mountain bike when i'm on pavement looks stupid enough since so many people are fucking bike snobs here.

I HATE HILLS.
Any tips for dealing with hills that are unnavoidable while still trying to get back in shape? also, about how long did it take for you to get back to shape? I'd like to know how long I should plan for cuz taking the T is getting outrageous.

Your work commute sounds ridiculously similar to mine: 4mi, steep hills & bad neighborhood. Although I never have to bike home at 2 in the morning. It took me a month of riding 5 days a week to & from work to really get used to it, and I still can't say I'm really used to it!

Since riding at 2am is a tad more dangerous, I would say if you can, on your off days try riding a similar route as your work commute to get yourself used to it (maybe go visit your job then come back, even if you're not working). It really does take perseverance & really riding every day to get back into biking shape. Also, test out your different gears to see which one is easier for you.

When you do have to ride at 2am, I would not force yourself to go too fast. If you go too fast and need to stop to catch your breath, the more chances you'll get mugged than if you're going slowly... at least then you're still going.

Also, don't feel dumb when you're on your MTB. Fatter tires do so much better on city streets & potholes(!!!) than skinny high pressure ones do. Just think to yourself that your ass & crotch hurt far less than theirs do. Also, those kind of tires are far more susceptible to flats, which are annoying as all hell.

My ride (pink is actually hot pink, not pastel):
ANNA BANANARCHY!

Postby ANNA BANANARCHY! on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:50 pm

Other tips:

- Invest in a decent lock. Kryptonite or OnGuard are both good brands & not too expensive from Amazon. I like using a U-Lock & a mini-ULock so I can lock my wheels to my frame. Also, you can get your local bike shop to lock your saddle to your frame. Some people can be real d-bags & take anything that can be taken off your bike. I once came back to my bike missing its brakes.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic. Pedestrians & turning cars are going to be looking for cars, not you so going in the opposite direction is dangerous. Also, oncoming bikers can also be dangerous. Also, watch out for car doors cos getting doored is painful. As someone else said, always act as if no one can see you.
- Don't use your iPod/cellphone while you're riding! This is my personal pet peeve!! @$%^&&(!!!!
- Yeah, don't BUI... I was inches from getting hit that way. Plus in a lot of places you can actually get tickets for that.
- Try to get regular tune ups. You really don't want your chain snapping because of a broken link in the middle of a busy intersection.

If you're looking to purchase a bike, flea markets are good and some bike shops also sell used bikes. Craigslist is OK but it's definitely more convenient to have a larger selection to try out at the same time so you can find the bike that is the right fit for you.
ANNA BANANARCHY!

Postby daisyfuck on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:44 pm

I want to ride a bike so bad. Granted, I want a bike so bad too. I used to love riding mine for hours before my dad threw it away as I got older.

It's lame, but even though I love the idea of riding a bike to go from place to place, I'm a really socially anxious person, and around where I live if I decide to walk someplace, I'm almost always harassed by guys screaming shit from their cars at me or men in cars slowing down next to me and acting like chauvinistic pricks. Whether it be about my tits, ass, hair, piercings, whatever. It gets me really nervous.

But that's when I'm walking and have a slower means of travel than a car, which makes me feel cornered. Maybe a bike would be better.
drink but don't drink this,
it aint beer it's piss,
rock the 40oz.
it's the change that counts
daisyfuck

Postby MotherNaturesRevenge on Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:16 am

ANNA BANANARCHY! wrote:Other tips:

- Invest in a decent lock. Kryptonite or OnGuard are both good brands & not too expensive from Amazon. I like using a U-Lock & a mini-ULock so I can lock my wheels to my frame. Also, you can get your local bike shop to lock your saddle to your frame. Some people can be real d-bags & take anything that can be taken off your bike. I once came back to my bike missing its brakes.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic. Pedestrians & turning cars are going to be looking for cars, not you so going in the opposite direction is dangerous. Also, oncoming bikers can also be dangerous. Also, watch out for car doors cos getting doored is painful. As someone else said, always act as if no one can see you.
- Don't use your iPod/cellphone while you're riding! This is my personal pet peeve!! @$%^&&(!!!!
- Yeah, don't BUI... I was inches from getting hit that way. Plus in a lot of places you can actually get tickets for that.
- Try to get regular tune ups. You really don't want your chain snapping because of a broken link in the middle of a busy intersection.

If you're looking to purchase a bike, flea markets are good and some bike shops also sell used bikes. Craigslist is OK but it's definitely more convenient to have a larger selection to try out at the same time so you can find the bike that is the right fit for you.

all really good advice...and the bit before that too. exactly how i think about the whole thing. i do need to get a nice bike lock for sure. in the state of new mexico and i'm not sure about anywhere else you HAVE to have a bike light at night or risk getting a huge fine. i have a mountain bike type hybrid and i call her trixie because she tricks up on me sometimes even when the gear feels right. used bike i got from my cousin. anyways, is it an actual LAW that you have to ride the opposite of traffic because i never follow that stupid as rule either...i refuse to almost get hit by a car because they're coming head on.i usually use all signals and stop where i'm supposed to unless there's no traffic crossing at intersections. i've found that my endurance got better within a week and my best tip is that when you feel like you're gonna' die from biking...just push through it. when i'm going on an uphill ride which is the case everyday when i come home from work...i try to take little breaks for water and to catch my breath at certain points like after 3 block or something. important to keep hydrated for sure. i keep a large bottle clipped to my military pack my bf bought for traveling, but gave to me.very useful thing it is with the belt around the waist and the clip to have my water on my left side to sling around. anyways, it's also good to think of routes as far as half way points and whatnot because then it doesn't make it seem so long if it's for transportation. i haven't been this excited about anything in a really long time. i had forgotten how much fun i had riding as a kid.
MotherNaturesRevenge

PreviousNext

Return to On the lam...