riding a bike!

Quick tips for on the road and about town. Those little strange uses for random thingies.... Post it here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Re: riding a bike!

Postby hell_kitten on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:36 pm

if you're chubby like me, your ass WILL get bruised. lol. and maybe even if you're skinnny. lol. my advice wold be to get a good seat. and if you're lookin for an older bike, check craigslist, but most of the people on craigslist know what they have, and how much they should get for it, so you probably won't get the BEST deal. If you want to get a real steal, i would try flea markets/ yard sales. But go ahead and look now, b/c in the summer, it's virtually impossible to get a used bike. I couldn't find one for the life of me last year. But now, I just gave up and bought one.
Who sent me a turd in the mail?
hell_kitten
PRD Professor!

Postby Brutus on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:51 pm

its hard to explain the gears...

umm, if you are on a gear and its very very easy to pedal, thats the gear for going up hill.

for flat ground, you want one that gives only the slightest bit of resistance. and once you get going, change it to another one that gives you a bit more resistance. eventually, youll be cruisin.

I have a milk crate on the back of my bike. holds my tool belt and lunch crate if Im going to work, or holds a case of beer and two bottle of wine if Im boozin.

Best thing though is when you are late for something and you are riding there with a smoke in your mouth. People look at you like your crazy.
Brutus
PRD Professor!

Postby Tabbycat on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:11 pm

So, I actually learned to ride a bike in holland when I was 15. I have to admot I was pretty embarrased to tell my German host family I couldn't bike to school, but I learned quickly, and from then on out it was an everyday bicycling adventure, rain snow, or shine.

i actually got a bike for my last birthday here, and I unfortunately do not have a lot of options on where to ride it to, since I live about a 30 min. car drive from everywhere, and the dirt roads aren't super condusive to my tires...hey, another rewason to look forward to college!

I can't remember what I did with pictures, but my bike is a black and leopard cruiser.
Tabbycat
DIY Demon

Postby DoOrDie on Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:42 pm

I have a cruiser too, but mine doesn't have any gears, and it's really hill-y around here so when i bike to school i have to walk some of it. which is lame. but bikes are so much fun.
"Because you're young, you're torn between, A world of hate and a world of dreams, Because you're young."
DoOrDie
You're getting the hang of it!

Postby punkerchic03 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:31 pm

Me and my roomates just got bikes! Its crazy after not riding one for years how it takes some getting used too. I had the same problem with the seats killing my ass so i went to target and got a seat cover for like 15 bucks, and its saved my life!
punkerchic03
PRD Professor!

Postby Suzette on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:02 am

I'm Dutch, so all I ever do is cycle. I'm too young to have a driver's license, but cars are also very impractical in here. It's super expensive, its very hard to find a place to park, and there's all kinds of rules that make cycling better. (traffic rules, but also tax advantages).

I own a great Batavus bike from 1967. It used to belong to my grandfather. I take very good care of it, fix it when it's broke. Right now, the frame broke in 2 pieces but I talked to my uncle and he says he can fix it. :D

I'll take pics when it's fixed.
"By God," says he, "I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."
Suzette
You deserve an award......

Postby lydiajayne on Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:15 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lideuh/2274355377
This is my bicycle. A friend gave it to me for my birthday last year. It still needs a lot of work but it's nice. [=

It's cool to see how many people ride bikes. I want a Schwinn Cruiser so bad but I don't think it would make it where I live, haha. So good luck with all of your bicycle riding!
lydiajayne

Postby le_zombie on Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:55 pm

dont drink and ride! you can get DUI on a bike...haha me and my freinds almost got one a couple summers ago.
le_zombie

Postby adictedtolove77 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:08 am

I have a cool 1963ish Schwinn.
Not my exact bike one i found on google. But it is the same model.
Okay, ramblers, let's get rambling.
http://www.pressedandscrewed.com
adictedtolove77
PRD Professor!

Postby SubculturalGrrl on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:56 pm

bikesbikesbikes <3
just keep at it... it'll get much easier. you might need to tune it up too.
SubculturalGrrl
PRD Professor!

Postby mollypop on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:35 pm

Bikes are the bomb! Keep at it, don't be afraid to ask questions! Like what someone else said, try to find a local bike project and check out their shop hours...walk in and tell them that you're "bike-tarded" like you say haha. They should be friendly.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
mollypop
PRD Professor!

Postby Wolfmoon on Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:17 pm

hell_kitten wrote:Okay, so I have wanted a bike for forever, and now i finally got one. I was wondering if anyone has any good tips for using a bike as your mode of transportation. I have a car, but I would like to get in shape/ pay less for gas. However, I tried riding to the store today and I almost died. Is riding a bike alot harder than I remember? Or do I just not know about these gears and stuff? Anywhoo, any advice/ tips would be appreciated. And maybe you ladies could post some pics of bikes that you have?

Just be careful!!!

I used to ride my bike everywhere and most people will not see you. Or so they say. Most people also don't look in the direction they turn, they look in the opposite direction and plow on through. If there's a bike trail on the road, get as far away from the rode as possible. But some people that think they're being funny will drive very close to you very fast.

My experience is, you are a target out there and you need to pay attention to what drivers are doing. Even when they are not.
Oh dios mio!
Matado El Pollo Loco!
Bastardos!

The truth about PETA
Wolfmoon

Postby pogmothoine on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:49 pm

Brutus wrote:its hard to explain the gears...

umm, if you are on a gear and its very very easy to pedal, thats the gear for going up hill.

for flat ground, you want one that gives only the slightest bit of resistance. and once you get going, change it to another one that gives you a bit more resistance. eventually, youll be cruisin.

I have a milk crate on the back of my bike. holds my tool belt and lunch crate if Im going to work, or holds a case of beer and two bottle of wine if Im boozin.

Best thing though is when you are late for something and you are riding there with a smoke in your mouth. People look at you like your crazy.

i have a milk crate on the back of mine too... can't see it in the picture because i put it on after but it is very handy

i love my bike but it's a pain in the ass to ride because it's soo heavy..i get worn out riding it up any sort of hills too so I would recommend any kind of schwinn racers or bikes of that sort. I'm going to a bike clinic this weekend in chicago to see if i can get a better bike for riding in the city.
pogmothoine

Postby MissJones on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:14 am

Not my bike, but it was built by a friend and it's fun to ride. :)
MissJones

Postby hell_kitten on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:28 am

pogmothoine wrote:
Brutus wrote:its hard to explain the gears...

i have a milk crate on the back of mine too... can't see it in the picture because i put it on after but it is very handy

i love my bike but it's a pain in the ass to ride because it's soo heavy..i get worn out riding it up any sort of hills too so I would recommend any kind of schwinn racers or bikes of that sort. I'm going to a bike clinic this weekend in chicago to see if i can get a better bike for riding in the city.

I am thiking about putting a milk crate on mine to put my doggy in, so I can take him to the park a few blocks away.
Who sent me a turd in the mail?
hell_kitten
PRD Professor!

PreviousNext

Return to On the lam...