riding a bike!

Quick tips for on the road and about town. Those little strange uses for random thingies.... Post it here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

riding a bike!

Postby hell_kitten on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:40 pm

Okay, so I have wanted a bike for forever, and now i finally got one. I was wondering if anyone has any good tips for using a bike as your mode of transportation. I have a car, but I would like to get in shape/ pay less for gas. However, I tried riding to the store today and I almost died. Is riding a bike alot harder than I remember? Or do I just not know about these gears and stuff? Anywhoo, any advice/ tips would be appreciated. And maybe you ladies could post some pics of bikes that you have?
Who sent me a turd in the mail?
hell_kitten
PRD Professor!

Re: riding a bike!

Postby KiraKoffin on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:14 pm

haha dont worry man i took my friends bike to the mall and was sweating and almost passed out when i got off. i think its more of a build stamina and endurance thing. so take it a bit slower and then build it up!

have lots of fun cause right now theres like 3 feet of snow here and i dont even have a bike BUT i want one for summer!
I LOVE SKINNY PIGS
KiraKoffin
You deserve an award......

Postby hell_kitten on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:22 pm

i used to ride a bike all the time, and i don't remember it being such a pain in the ass. Like I was tired by the end of the street. So, I think I need to figure out how to work the clicker things on the handle bars. lol. I'm bike-tarded, i know. also, my butt must be bigger than the last time i had one, or it may just be that i got a pretty cheap bike, and need to replace the seat. it's like rock hard. I think my ass is bruised!
hell_kitten
PRD Professor!

Postby peligrosa on Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:01 am

use this site as a starting point
[url]bicycling.about.com[/url]
there is a lot of good information to help you get started with the bike thing.

as for why riding to the store was so hard, I would very first check to make sure that your tires are pumped up all the way, and then start off in a very low gear. it doesn't hurt to make sure your chain is in good shape and all lubed up too.

if you have a local bike project see if you can take it in for a general tune up, or you could take it into a shop for the same thing but you'd have to spend a little money. it will be worth it though.
peligrosa
You're getting the hang of it!

Postby Namsab on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:10 am

hell_kitten wrote:i used to ride a bike all the time, and i don't remember it being such a pain in the ass. Like I was tired by the end of the street. So, I think I need to figure out how to work the clicker things on the handle bars. lol. I'm bike-tarded, i know. also, my butt must be bigger than the last time i had one, or it may just be that i got a pretty cheap bike, and need to replace the seat. it's like rock hard. I think my ass is bruised!

Are you talking about me? Because it's the same over here.. I was a bike-addict a few years ago, then it got stolen, and now that I have a new one I feel like the fattest person in the world because I get exhausted after about a few hundred meters. :lol:
Definitely check your tires, I drove around with two flats for days without noticing it... yeah I'm dumb I know.
Namsab
PRD Professor!

Postby Fuchsia on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:52 am

Like people said, build it up, you'll get used to it eventually. Bikes are really popular here, but I suppose Belgian traffic is quite different from American traffic.
Actually it's really uncommon for people here to not have/use a bike, I use mine on daily basis to get to school or to town, cause I hate public transport, and it's really not far away. I suppose most students also go everywhere by bike, cause we can only drive cars when we're 18, and even then it's uncommon for kids to have their own car before they're 25 or something!

Here's my bike I keep in Ghent where I'm in a dorm, it's quite old though, from the 60s or something:
ah here's a less blurry picture, never mind my face:

And that's my bike at home (the closest one), had it since I was 12
And I know we have to go, I realize we always have to turn away, always have to go back to real lives
Fuchsia
PRD Professor!

Postby MissJones on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:07 am

I go everywhere by bike! :smt006
My home town is known for all the bikes that whizz around and scare drivers and pedestrians, hehe.

The center of town was built when horses and carriages were in fashion, so it's actually faster and more convenient to go by bike than by car. A whole lot easier to find parking as well... :roll:

But yeah, a general tune-up sounds like a good idea.
And start out slowly, it's gonna take a while to get your bicycle muscles back into shape.

Also, take a good backpack if you're going to the grocery store. It's a whole lot easier than having three bags of food on the handlebars.
MissJones

Postby MissJones on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:25 am

hell_kitten wrote: also, my butt must be bigger than the last time i had one, or it may just be that i got a pretty cheap bike, and need to replace the seat. it's like rock hard. I think my ass is bruised!

I got a new seat when I fixed up my bike. It makes a world of differece! I'd go for one that looks old school, quite wide and with big springs. But then I like the comfort of older, classic bikes like this one.
MissJones

Postby hell_kitten on Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:20 pm

Yea, I'm thinking a new seat might be a nice thing to get. this one has like virtually no padding. However, one of those old style seats might look kinda goofy, b/c i have a mountain bike? idk. but they look comfy!
hell_kitten
PRD Professor!

Postby CordieCat on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:30 pm

Man, I miss riding a bike. I couldnt bike anywhere in my town if I tried, everything is miles apart. -sigh-
Hope that you get some good tips, though. I know you can switch the gears out to make things easier to get around.
I would recommend getting one of those attatchements on the back where you can put things you get around town on. I've seen it on old bikes....like it's a book holder. :|
Anyway, good luck!
"You're a hard person to explain. You're like a hippie and a punk.....You're a Hunk."
"I'm a Hunk?"
"Yeah......"
"That would have been so much more cooler if you would have called me a Pippie."
CordieCat

Postby hell_kitten on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:32 pm

yes, i saw those things, they look hella tight, and they're like $15 only. But I have a backpack for now, so that's will have to do til i et paid.
hell_kitten
PRD Professor!

Postby MissJones on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:35 pm

hell_kitten wrote:However, one of those old style seats might look kinda goofy, b/c i have a mountain bike? idk. but they look comfy!

Yeah, but will they see the seat when you are riding it? :roll:
MissJones

Postby hell_kitten on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:36 pm

this is true.
hell_kitten
PRD Professor!

Postby hell_kitten on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:19 pm

and here's a pic of my bike, finally. i just took one today, lol.
hell_kitten
PRD Professor!

Postby caseystilletto on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:25 pm

I've been wanting to learn how to ride a bike (yeah...I don't know how..I lose) because our neighborhood is bright and breezy and biketastic. I want to find an old-school bike, like a Schwinn (I think?)..or like a low-rider bike...guess I better start looking on Craigslist.

Any bike riding tips so I don't scrape my ass up too bad?
caseystilletto
PRD Professor!

Next

Return to On the lam...