quitting smoking

Quick tips for on the road and about town. Those little strange uses for random thingies.... Post it here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Re: quitting smoking

Postby Max on Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:24 am

Hey, since this thread got brought back, I've got a question- of all of you who said you were quitting, how many are still quit?
I still am quit, but I don't think I count, since I'm all old, and whatnot. I'd like to hear that someone actually did quit since this thread started....
And so you gotta be strong You've got to just speak in tongues About how you belong
In popular culture - dEUS
Max
PRD Professor!

Postby Wolfmoon on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:48 pm

I quit a few years ago and only smoked the day my grandmother died last year.
Oh dios mio!
Matado El Pollo Loco!
Bastardos!

The truth about PETA
Wolfmoon
You deserve an award......

Postby Brutus on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:46 pm

someone told me to pick up this book. I am going to see.

Apparently people quit the second they finish it.
Brutus
PRD Professor!

Postby rainaraven on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:57 pm

Brutus wrote:Image

let us know if it works.
rainaraven
PRD Professor!

Re:

Postby HelloVomit0 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:09 am

eh crap...
Last edited by HelloVomit0 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What a beautiful disaster..."
Image Image Image
HelloVomit0
PRD Professor!

Postby HelloVomit0 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:18 am

I tried this book! My aunt tried it first and sent a copy to me. Heres what happened to us...

- Aunt reads book, becomes a non-smoker!
- Sends me a copy
- Aunt starts smoking again, but reads the book all the way through again and becomes a non-smoker
- Sends a copy to my other aunt, her sister who also smokes
- Aunt #2 reads book and stops smoking
- I read book and become a non-smoker!
- Aunt #2 sends a copy to my mother and starts smoking again, but reads the book over and stops smoking again...
- I start smoking again....read book over...stop smoking....start smoking again...read book over...stop smoking (this repeats itself with every "quit" time lasting about two weeks)
- I call my two aunts and my mother to find out that they are all smoking again and stuck on the endless loop that I am....

Thats all I got....I havent read the book in about 7 months now and I honestly don't plan on it. I could pick it up, read it over the course of a day or two and quit for two weeks, but where does that get me? Right back to smoking, thats where.
"What a beautiful disaster..."
Image Image Image
HelloVomit0
PRD Professor!

Postby Brutus on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:37 pm

well shit. I've been able to quit when I go visit my parents, as they are not smokers and dont really like it at all. So out of respect, I don't smoke. Last time I was there, though.... it was drinking... all the time, and I smoked like half what I normally do. So maybe if I combine it with visiting them, and the book... it may work. I hope.
Brutus
PRD Professor!

Postby JohnnyQuid on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:18 pm

Quit yesterday, we'll see how it goes. I find it helps to have a mutual quitter pal who can help you out and vice versa. That way you've got someone else to answer to besides yourself and you worry if you start again they will too and it'll be your fault.
Creepshow sucks.
JohnnyQuid

Postby vanillablue6 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:58 am

i no longer buy cigarettes and will usually only smoke (very sparingly) if im at a show and drunk.
otherwise...i quit pretty easily. i was more of a driver/social smoker but whatever! still dont feel the need. just happened one day..very happy it did
paranoid mess
faster+louder wrote:Pizza forever, forever pizza. : )
vanillablue6

Postby Mommy's Little Monster on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:21 pm

HelloVomit0 wrote:

I tried this book! My aunt tried it first and sent a copy to me. Heres what happened to us...

- Aunt reads book, becomes a non-smoker!
- Sends me a copy
- Aunt starts smoking again, but reads the book all the way through again and becomes a non-smoker
- Sends a copy to my other aunt, her sister who also smokes
- Aunt #2 reads book and stops smoking
- I read book and become a non-smoker!
- Aunt #2 sends a copy to my mother and starts smoking again, but reads the book over and stops smoking again...
- I start smoking again....read book over...stop smoking....start smoking again...read book over...stop smoking (this repeats itself with every "quit" time lasting about two weeks)
- I call my two aunts and my mother to find out that they are all smoking again and stuck on the endless loop that I am....

Thats all I got....I havent read the book in about 7 months now and I honestly don't plan on it. I could pick it up, read it over the course of a day or two and quit for two weeks, but where does that get me? Right back to smoking, thats where.

My ex-husband tried this book, and it worked for a while, kind of like it did for you. Then we found out that this guy has another book that is call The Only Way to Stop Smoking. It's wayyy longer and more in depth and it seemed to really work for him. I hear he's started again, but that's just because he thinks he's going to be Bukowski or something. It might work on a normal person, though.
Mommy's Little Monster
DIY Demon

Postby kissmycombatboots on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:18 pm

here's me, trying to quit at a very stressful time in my life. [great planning there, Aliz. :roll: ] this week i'm figuring out exactly how much i smoke a day. i'm going to average them all together, and cut that down by two cigarettes every week. i'm going to use gum for the oral habit, and drawing and sewing for keeping my hands busy. i also have a plastic spider to "chew" on, that i've used when i couldn't have a cigarette in the past. here goes...
--Aliz

kissmycombatboots
PRD Professor!

Postby TheWorstIdea on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:31 pm

I quit smoking again, hopefully for good this time! I've read Allen Carr's book and I thought it was...okay. It's basically cognitive behavioural therapy minus the theory. And I don't like that it's written like an infomercial.

I'm using Thrive lozenges, taking vitamin B supplements and going to the gym/jogging more often. I can deal with the craving and irritability, but the insomnia is fucking killing me.
TheWorstIdea
PRD Professor!

Previous

Return to On the lam...