Beating the summer heat

Quick tips for on the road and about town. Those little strange uses for random thingies.... Post it here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Re: Beating the summer heat

Postby rainaraven on Fri May 14, 2010 3:04 pm

i can't believe i almost forgot. fds for your feet, no matter how hot it is fds stays pretty cool all the time and baby wipes in the fridge (or freezer if you want to chisel them apart) feels so good when you're all sweaty and sticky.
It makes no sense to argue with crazy people cause crazy people don't have to make sense.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/colorfulcoffin ... _usernames
rainaraven
PRD Professor!

Postby kissmycombatboots on Sat May 15, 2010 3:53 am

^^ oh, the baby wipes idea is brilliant! i'll have to stock up for summer.
--Aliz

kissmycombatboots
PRD Professor!

Postby GrifterOI on Sat May 15, 2010 7:00 pm

Last year, thirteen consecutive 101+ days. There's an old joke about Arizona that the Devil created it for his vacation home, but it was too damn hot... I don't have A/C in my house, so I use a box fan in the window, which wastes way less energy anyway. The trick we developed was getting burlap sheets damp and freezing them, then laying them over the fan, which super cools the air as it passes through the burlap. We keep three or four in the freezer, and cycle them out as the day goes on. When I'm working in the heat outside, I wear a light colored, broad billed cap, or broad brimmed hat, and a lightweight longsleeve shirt. The shirt acts in the same way as the burlap, cooling the air as it passes through the sweat thats wicked onto the shirt. You are twice as likely to succumb to a heat stroke wearing no shirt. When I get home, I fill the bathtub with cool water, and soak for a minute before I take my actual shower. And yeah, sometimes when I'm in the field, I jump in the ditch. It's hard not too, hahaha.

Henceforth I ask not good-fortune—I myself am good fortune;
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Strong and content, I travel the open road.

GrifterOI
You deserve an award......

Postby MooMooMonster on Sat May 15, 2010 7:54 pm

I live in desert climate at 6000 ft so we only have two seasons. It went from freezing temperatures to the 80s in a matter of weeks. But it's still not hot enough here to be too bad. The sun just crisps you super fast.

During summer I freeze any food that I can. I love frozen grapes because they're not messy but they're delicious.

And at around 5 or 6 when I water the garden if it's still hot I spray the hose straight up so I get misted with the plants and its a nice way to cool down while doing work.
MooMooMonster
PRD Professor!

Postby MissLondonDisaster on Mon May 17, 2010 9:10 pm

At my work we sell liquid "curve enhancers" they are basically mini bags of water that women can stuff their bra with.
My coworkers freeze them when it's hot out, and then put them in their bra haha.
MissLondonDisaster

Postby _hellkat on Mon May 17, 2010 11:12 pm

MissLondonDisaster wrote:At my work we sell liquid "curve enhancers" they are basically mini bags of water that women can stuff their bra with.
My coworkers freeze them when it's hot out, and then put them in their bra haha.

i want to do this! haha. i wonder where i could find those? most of those "gel bras" and stuff don't seem like they'd freeze....
_hellkat
PRD Professor!

Postby RaMeat on Fri May 21, 2010 4:02 pm

Im back and fourth between Bakersfield and Sylmar and it gets hot as fuck both places.
I have one of them flap caps like camel riders when i go for bike rides so the back of my neck and head doesnt get burnt
i get bath towels wet with cold water and walk around with it over my shoulders like a cape.
RaMeat
DIY Demon

Postby Prettygrimm on Fri May 21, 2010 4:16 pm

^^^^^^
Eric?
i am not ashamed of what i am but it often makes me sad.
http://idlehandsdaily.blogspot.com/
Prettygrimm
PRD Professor!

Postby RaMeat on Fri May 21, 2010 4:19 pm

nope
RaMeat
DIY Demon

Postby Prettygrimm on Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 pm

weird. my friend Eric is living between Sylmar and Bakersfield right now.
Prettygrimm
PRD Professor!

Postby RaMeat on Fri May 21, 2010 5:04 pm

does he have red hair?
but the eric i know who does that is i think 19 or something. hes younger than me.

but im trying to stay a bit incognito at the moment because i need to get away from some crowd. so like sorry if some questions are left poorly answered :mrgreen:
RaMeat
DIY Demon

Postby -x-jaz-x- on Fri May 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Wow I am so glad at the moment that I actually need some of these tips because we actually have sun here!!!
I live in Yorkshire in the UK and it rains here pretty much always, and if it's not raining, you can guarantee it's dull and grey outside..but the last few days it was actually hot =D probably not compared to where some of you live, but to me it was boiling!
-x-jaz-x-
DIY Demon

Postby kissmycombatboots on Sun May 23, 2010 11:18 pm

okay, illinois girl is going to feel sorry for herself, and y'all from desert climates are going to think i've got it good...
it got to at least 95 F here today, and i had to hike about [littereally, no joking] $1000 worth of baby stuff up to my friends' appartment after their shower. i'm glad it was only on the second story, but i wish the stairs were indoors instead of out. too hot for this weakling! however, the point of this is, it reminded me how much cooler it can be in the shade. so if you must go out, try to stick to a shady area, with a breeze if possible.
--Aliz

kissmycombatboots
PRD Professor!

Postby Prettygrimm on Mon May 24, 2010 4:30 am

RaMeat wrote:does he have red hair?
but the eric i know who does that is i think 19 or something. hes younger than me.

nah, he has black hair and is in his late 20's early 30's.
Prettygrimm
PRD Professor!

Postby MissLondonDisaster on Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:22 pm

_hellkat wrote:
MissLondonDisaster wrote:At my work we sell liquid "curve enhancers" they are basically mini bags of water that women can stuff their bra with.

i want to do this! haha. i wonder where i could find those? most of those "gel bras" and stuff don't seem like they'd freeze....

http://www.maidenform.com/accessories/styles/enhancers/maidenform-natural-lift-enhancers-MBA6000

I work at the store.
MissLondonDisaster

PreviousNext

Return to On the lam...