Beating the summer heat

Quick tips for on the road and about town. Those little strange uses for random thingies.... Post it here!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Beating the summer heat

Postby DarcyFox on Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:32 pm

At the moment here we are in the middle of quite a sweltering summer and I was wondering if any one had some cool tips or tricks they would like to share for keeping cool in the hot especially on the cheap.

To start things of here is mine.
I work in an office some days a week and I hate having to slather my self in sticky grosses sunscreen if the only time I go out in the sun is to go for a walk to the shop at lunch time. So yesterday I brought my self on of those big paper parasols it is fantastic, keeps the sun of for those short walks to and from the buss and the shop and it was only 5 bucks.
DarcyFox
DIY Demon

Re: Beating the summer heat

Postby triciasonfire on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:18 am

oh wow i wish i had to deal with that problem right now :( wwe've got soooooo much snow!!!
do you live in australia or somewhere around there??
when it's hot here, i personally love me some popsicles or ice cream :D
It ain't no sin to take off your skin, and dance around in your bones
triciasonfire
PRD Professor!

Postby DarcyFox on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:34 am

Ha. Yup Australia,
In the area i live we get the best of both worlds from -10 to 45+ days but it really sucks right now cause we have had no rain in a really long time.

Ooo another thing i just remembered
1. peel a few bananas chop them in half across the middle and stick a ice block stick in the end
2. Put them in the freazer over night
3. Then eat them like ice blocks the next day ( if you are feeling especialy naughty poor some ice magic over them when they are still really cold) Yum!!!
DarcyFox
DIY Demon

Postby caseystilletto on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:14 am

Oh girl, Texas summers are the pits..it gets like over 100 degrees Fahrenheit multiple days in a row, and it's humid too.
I put my pillowcases in the freezer sometimes before I go to sleep...nice and cold!
I also drink a shit-ton of water and do the sunscreen thing too, because I am so freaking burnable.
Best thing to do on a stupidly hot day? Get naked (with or without someone you dig), get a few fans going on you, and get a good book.
That's just me though.
caseystilletto
PRD Professor!

Postby Kristen on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:57 am

caseystilletto wrote:Oh girl, Texas summers are the pits..it gets like over 100 degrees Fahrenheit multiple days in a row, and it's humid too.
I put my pillowcases in the freezer sometimes before I go to sleep...nice and cold!
I also drink a shit-ton of water and do the sunscreen thing too, because I am so freaking burnable.
Best thing to do on a stupidly hot day? Get naked (with or without someone you dig), get a few fans going on you, and get a good book.
That's just me though.

Yup, I totally agree!!!
It gets super hot in California. It sucks.
I eat a ton of pop sickles, ice cream, and basically anything frozen! And I drink way too much iced tea. :D
Kristen
You deserve an award......

Postby Namsab on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:13 am

The last few summers here were awful, and especially while I still had to go to school, so I came home sweating wet and sticky. Since I can't walk around naked here, I got a Sarong - but any large, thin blanket is good - and wrapped it around me like a dress, tieing it around the neck. It was cool and every time I moved there was a little breeze. :)
Namsab
PRD Professor!

Postby Nurse Nasty on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:45 am

I sympathise with you DarcyFox. We have been dealing with the heat too and it sucks.
I live in sarongs while I'm at home and try and dress as lightly as possible when I go out.
Another good idea for when you are trying to get too sleep on a hot and humid night is to stick your top sheet off your bed on the spin cycle of your washing machine. When it's finished lie the sheet on top of you with the fan blowing...... oh so cooling.
Nurse Nasty

Postby nikki626 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:28 pm

Kristen wrote:
caseystilletto wrote:Oh girl, Texas summers are the pits..it gets like over 100 degrees Fahrenheit multiple days in a row, and it's humid too.
That's just me though.

Yup, I totally agree!!!
I eat a ton of pop sickles, ice cream, and basically anything frozen! And I drink way too much iced tea. :D

yeah, same here in so cal. i had to move on my bday a year ago...july 25 and it was the hottest day we've had on record. that was soooo not fun. once i got all my crap into my house i stripped down n took a nice cold bath...my own little swimming pool. heaven!

and to make things even more fun...i'm moving to new orleans...where it gets hotter n stickier than it does in so cal...(i am such an idiot)...

i think i want a popsicle maker, tho...need to look online...
no, really...you eat it!
nikki626

Postby Buddenstocks on Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:35 pm

I tend to make fruit juice popsicles, get my bathing suit on, and go hang out in my pool all day eating popsicles and maybe reading a book (we have a sun shelf thing). But if I don't have that luxury...I dress as airy and light as possible, freeze my water bottles so that I have ice and water/it's super cold), and try my best to stay indoors, haha.
Buddenstocks
PRD Professor!

Postby Frankenhooker on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:50 pm

i just lay on a cold concrete or tiled floor. :D
Frankenhooker
DIY Demon

Postby just_icarus on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:09 pm

nikki626 wrote:
Kristen wrote:
That's just me though.

Yup, I totally agree!!!

yeah, same here in so cal. i had to move on my bday a year ago...july 25 and it was the hottest day we've had on record. that was soooo not fun. once i got all my crap into my house i stripped down n took a nice cold bath...my own little swimming pool. heaven!

and to make things even more fun...i'm moving to new orleans...where it gets hotter n stickier than it does in so cal...(i am such an idiot)...

i think i want a popsicle maker, tho...need to look online...

not to endorse the scourge of capitalism... but walmart has popsicle molds. hah.
destroy / create
just_icarus
PRD Professor!

Postby missghoulina on Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:35 pm

Ughhh! Its like -15 here right now and snowing like a mofo!! I wish it was hot winter makes me sad that i cant go outside without my limbs freezing off! But in the summer i like to have a shower in cool water, or just wash my hair in cool water it feels nice haha
missghoulina
PRD Professor!

Postby dirtclodded on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:30 pm

north carolina has some of the worst summers ever. sometimes when i go out i'll stick tissues under my armpits until i get to where i'm going so i dont have big ol' sweat stains. It's kinda like pads for your armpits. :-D
dirtclodded

Postby Fuck_Authority on Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:45 pm

Summer heat doesn't get bad here very often, all I can really say is wear really light clothing,drink lots of water,and get a lot of fans and air conditioners going. Sometimes if my friend and I get really hot we usually go to this creek nearby that has a really cool tunnel and have a little fun there. If you're working outside get a bandanna to tie around your head and take frequent breaks.
Fuck_Authority
PRD Professor!

Postby hystErika on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:00 am

I had a paper route a couple summers back. 7 days a week and all night, so I had to sleep during the hot days.

I'm in the desert in Southern California and it's 100+ for much of the summer.

What i would do was put my bathing suit on, jump in the shower in cold water, then run to the bed, where a fan was facing. I ended up chilly and under a light blanket a couple of hours later.
Lots of water is good.
During the summer, I freeze rags/clean washcloths and once they're completely stiff, I put them on my head and soon enough, they're melting and the COLD water is running down my shoulders. BRR!!
...until we meet again...
[Erika Raelyn] aka [hystErika]
http://www.myspace.com/erika_raelyn
::A MENTAL MIND FUCK CAN BE NICE::
hystErika

Next

Return to On the lam...