Tattoo & Piercing Q&A

As the boards have grown, we've had people join who are really great at answering your questions - on topics you can't always find in one place. Tattoo safety tips? Pin Up Modeling? DIY Tech questions? We'll be adding more, but we want you to be as informed as possible!

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove, theooo, HeidiVanHorne, Sonya, AmieDecker

Re: Tattoo & Piercing Q&A

Postby hell_kitten on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:44 pm

One alternative to PTFE is tygon, but it's apparently a lot harder to find. I found it on this site to buy by the foot-
http://www.leroi.com/index.php?p=view_p ... t_id=12135 and then you can cut it to the size you need and use balls designed for internally threaded jewelery.
Who sent me a turd in the mail?
hell_kitten
PRD Professor!

Postby sickgirliezele on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:00 pm

this one is a for y'all with their septum done.

so i've had it pierced for like 3 years now, took out my ring last year and surprisingly it didn't close up. last month i put a new titanium CBB in, everything was fine up until two weeks ago. i smell blood.. it's really weird. my nose isn't bleeding, it's not like funk smell. it straight up smells like blood. i've been checking it daily, no crusties or weird snotty stuff.

maybe the jewelry? any thoughts?
I've got a little gun, here comes oblivion.
sickgirliezele
PRD Professor!

Postby ghouliina on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:40 pm

Poison Ivy wrote:Hey, I haven't posted on here in forever but I had a question about piercings and knew this would be the best place to ask!

I've had my belly button pierced for about 9 years and I've never had any problems with it. I'm about 5 months pregnant now so I got myself a couple of maternity rings made of PTFE... and apparently I'm allergic to it! Or something.... Every time I put the maternity ring in, within 2 days my piercing gets red, swollen and pus comes out- no matter how much I clean both the ring and my piercing. It only gets better once I put a regular ring in again. I'm not sure if it's really an allergy since it doesn't itch or act like my allergy to nickel, instead it just seems to get infected every time. Plus, when I try to look it up all I get is information about how allergy free PTFE is.

Does anyone know anything about or have any experience with this? Is there an alternative to PTFE that I can look for?

i asked my boyfriend (who is a licensed piercer)and he informed me that both teflon and tygon break down over time so every 2 months you'll have to replace it. i'm not sure how long you've had it for, it may just be that you're allergic to it if you're particularly sensitive, or it could be that it's breaking down within your body causing the allergic reaction. and it doesn't matter how much it says it's hypoallergenic, there's always an exception. titanium is supposed to be hypoallergenic and i've seen people have allergic reactions to it. there are no definites when it comes to the human body.
ghouliina
PRD Professor!

Postby ghouliina on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:54 pm

sickgirliezele wrote:this one is a for y'all with their septum done.

so i've had it pierced for like 3 years now, took out my ring last year and surprisingly it didn't close up. last month i put a new titanium CBB in, everything was fine up until two weeks ago. i smell blood.. it's really weird. my nose isn't bleeding, it's not like funk smell. it straight up smells like blood. i've been checking it daily, no crusties or weird snotty stuff.

piercer boyfriends are so convenient haha

he says that it could be that you're reacting to the metal. certain metals can break down in your body if you're allergic to it, causing the smell. is it sore at all? have you been sick recently? how long has it been since you put the jewelry back in? could you have caused a micro tear when you put the jewelry back in and perhaps the bacteria can't get out? according to him it's such an odd question that there are a variety of things that could cause the smell
ghouliina
PRD Professor!

Postby hell_kitten on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:04 am

ghouliina wrote:
sickgirliezele wrote:this one is a for y'all with their septum done.

piercer boyfriends are so convenient haha

he says that it could be that you're reacting to the metal. certain metals can break down in your body if you're allergic to it, causing the smell. is it sore at all? have you been sick recently? how long has it been since you put the jewelry back in? could you have caused a micro tear when you put the jewelry back in and perhaps the bacteria can't get out? according to him it's such an odd question that there are a variety of things that could cause the smell

I was going to say the metal, too. Even if you're not allergic, I find that blood smells kind of metallic sometimes so it could just be the metal you're smelling. Maybe you an try a different material for a while and see if you still smell it?
hell_kitten
PRD Professor!

Postby sickgirliezele on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:43 am

wow that was quick! thank you so much ladies!

i haven't been sick or sore (with the exception of the time i wacked myself in the nose with a phone). the micro-tear doesn't seem too far-fetched either, ugh i hate having such sensitive skin!

yeah i'm gonna get a steel one and see how it goes. it's weird! i've never had issues with any of my titanium pieces from anatometal before this.

i'll let you guys know once it goes away.

ghouliina- ps. thank your boyfriend for me too!!
I've got a little gun, here comes oblivion.
sickgirliezele
PRD Professor!

Postby ghouliina on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:31 am

haha no problem n.n
ghouliina
PRD Professor!

Postby ThatisnotMYname on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:13 pm

So, I went through all 81 pages and didn't find an answer to my question. I've had my industrial pierced for about 7 months now and the other day I was work and the ear it was in got crazy red and really hot, I could feel the heat coming off it. I ran some cool water on it (all I had at the time) and half an hour later it was fine. Has this happen to anyone else? Why would it do this/should I be worried?

Next has anyone heard of these http://stretchlogic.com/ ? Any thoughts on them?
if you want to reach the sky, fuck a duck and try to fly
ThatisnotMYname

Postby just_icarus on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:33 pm

something funky is going on with the tattoo i got yesterday. it's more sore than i would have expected, and at the bottom it's a little swollen (which i expected) but there are also a bunch of tiny red dots under my skin. here are two pictures; sorry it's so hard to see:

it was really difficult to get a decent photo, but there you go. the redness/dots aren't anywhere else on the tattoo except there at the very bottom. it's also not really swollen anywhere else. my boyfriend thinks it could possibly have been irritation from the shaving, but it looks pretty gnarly and it hurts! it's not itchy or oozing anything though, so i don't think it's an ink allergy or an infection. any thoughts?

also, before anyone tells me to go see my artist, he flew back to canada about 3 hours after he finished with me haha, so i can't really do that. and i don't have time in the next two days to head down to the shop and talk to someone else.
destroy / create
just_icarus
PRD Professor!

Postby ghouliina on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:11 am

just_icarus wrote:something funky is going on with the tattoo i got yesterday. it's more sore than i would have expected, and at the bottom it's a little swollen (which i expected) but there are also a bunch of tiny red dots under my skin. here are two pictures; sorry it's so hard to see:

it was really difficult to get a decent photo, but there you go. the redness/dots aren't anywhere else on the tattoo except there at the very bottom. it's also not really swollen anywhere else. my boyfriend thinks it could possibly have been irritation from the shaving, but it looks pretty gnarly and it hurts! it's not itchy or oozing anything though, so i don't think it's an ink allergy or an infection. any thoughts?

also, before anyone tells me to go see my artist, he flew back to canada about 3 hours after he finished with me haha, so i can't really do that. and i don't have time in the next two days to head down to the shop and talk to someone else.

i agree with the boyfriend, it looks like razor burn. it also appears to be just under the tattoo rather than on it, so it probably isn't the tattoo itself...
ghouliina
PRD Professor!

Postby namelesswonder on Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:23 pm

I searched, but didn't find anything. Just looking for somebody to say "Oh, that's fine" and hopefully be right.

Got my navel pierced last Saturday and it's very bruised around the entry site (top hole). I imagine this is normal, but my eyebrow didn't bruise (only piercing I've had that seems comparable). Thoughts? Reassurance?
Introduce a little anarchy, you upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.
My blog - updated regularly about no particular thing.
namelesswonder
PRD Professor!

Postby miss.hell on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:24 pm

ThatisnotMYname wrote:So, I went through all 81 pages and didn't find an answer to my question. I've had my industrial pierced for about 7 months now and the other day I was work and the ear it was in got crazy red and really hot, I could feel the heat coming off it. I ran some cool water on it (all I had at the time) and half an hour later it was fine. Has this happen to anyone else? Why would it do this/should I be worried?

probably a little infection
http://boiledbones.tumblr.com
AIM: misshelltexasoi
miss.hell
PRD Professor!

Postby Bethy Boop on Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:28 am

miss.hell wrote:
ThatisnotMYname wrote:So, I went through all 81 pages and didn't find an answer to my question. I've had my industrial pierced for about 7 months now and the other day I was work and the ear it was in got crazy red and really hot, I could feel the heat coming off it. I ran some cool water on it (all I had at the time) and half an hour later it was fine. Has this happen to anyone else? Why would it do this/should I be worried?

probably a little infection

I second this, it happens to me a lot, like if I sleep on that ear, or wear over the ear headphones, its a big pain but as long as I don't put too much pressure on the bar it goes away pretty quickly.
We're putting an end to racism, homophobia, monogamy and monochromatic colouring
Bethy Boop
You deserve an award......

Postby hell_kitten on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:55 pm

namelesswonder wrote:I searched, but didn't find anything. Just looking for somebody to say "Oh, that's fine" and hopefully be right.

Got my navel pierced last Saturday and it's very bruised around the entry site (top hole). I imagine this is normal, but my eyebrow didn't bruise (only piercing I've had that seems comparable). Thoughts? Reassurance?

Not sure but it seems like the navel may be more likely to bruise b/c there's more tissue surrounding it? I don't know if that's really a technical diagnosis but it seems like it would make sense to me. . .
hell_kitten
PRD Professor!

Postby ghouliina on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:35 am

ThatisnotMYname wrote:

honestly, this makes sense to me as long as you wait in between stretching. normally stretching between standard sizes would require about a 3 month healing period before being able to stretch up again. however, as they've demonstrated, there's more sizes in between the standard sizes. if your ear is healed it'll naturally stretch on it's own, making it possible to massage a slightly larger plug in without causing damage. the downside would be that i'm not sure if the 3 month waiting period would apply here because the size jumps are much less, and if so, what the healing period would be.
ghouliina
PRD Professor!

PreviousNext

Return to ASK THE EXPERTS