Scooters

I'm sure I'll have no clue what goes on in here, but really, it's so the guys don't bitch, and hey, we have to support the men who wanna be creative and crafty now, don't we?

Moderators: Ms Minx, dirtyrottenlove

Scooters

Postby Max on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:06 pm

Ok, I know a little...
Back when I wasn't a family man, you'd never catch me in a cage, unless I was driving a truck for work. I favored mostly motorcycles, though not Harleys (which I still don't like). I had a Kawasaki 454 for everyday getting around, a 62 Triumph Bonneville for show, and some riding, a Suzuki 650 for road trips, and yes, a scooter; a little Honda two stroke 49 CC number.
So, now, many years later, I still have the bonneville, but at 42000 miles it's almost completely for show. I really wouldn't trust it for everyday, and I keep it garaged. I probably am going to sell it in the next year or two, to somebody who can use it better. However, with my son at driving age, and no other child around, and so on, I'm thinking about getting back into two wheeled transport. But, I still loathe Harleys, and I don't want a midlifecrisismobile. So, I'm thinking much more seriously about Scooters.
So, as you can tell from that background, i'm not exactly stupid when it comes to something vibratey between the legs. I know the difference between two and four stroke, I know the difference between 49 and 50 CC, and even know the difference between 125 and 250 CC. I know that no Scooter i get will truly be road trip worthy, and I know that there are different laws in different states about what's street legal and what's not.
So, all that having said, i'm pretty sure there will be relatively few answers to this, but i'm asking anyway: Anybody got any suggestions? I want a relatively small (in the 125-150 CC range) well handling stylish and not overly expensive Scooter; nothing over 5 grand. I know that winter will suck, and I'm not getting rid of my car for exactly that reason, but I would like to be able to ride in late fall, and early spring, so if it cannot handle road speeds with any Ice (I'm thinking of my friend's Riva, here. Any slickness at all and you become a rodeo clown) I'm not interested.
Yeah, i'm specific, but I'm also a little bit hopeful. How about it?
And so you gotta be strong You've got to just speak in tongues About how you belong
In popular culture - dEUS
User avatar
Max
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:28 pm

Re: Scooters

Postby johnnyxheartbreak on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:10 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Scooter ... .m14.l1318

act fast, the auction ends in 7 hours!
While.
You're.
Out resisting
Anarchisting
I am sitting here existing.
Waiting for the time
You tell me that you're mine
Waiting for the time
that you come home.
http://stylenotsnob.blogspot.com/
johnnyxheartbreak
You deserve an award......
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:19 am

Re: Scooters

Postby Max on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:50 pm

johnnyxheartbreak wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Scooters-Mopeds__74-Lambretta-Jet-200-Serveta-GP200-TS1-Race_W0QQitemZ330256061745QQadnZScootersQ20Q26Q20MopedsQQadiZ2807QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330256061745&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318

act fast, the auction ends in 7 hours!

Thanks! A little over powered for what I'm looking to do, and I'd prefer the glove box to the extra fuel tank, so I think I'll pass, but Ok, so you like vintage lambrettas, eh?
And so you gotta be strong You've got to just speak in tongues About how you belong
In popular culture - dEUS
User avatar
Max
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:28 pm

Re: Scooters

Postby PerfectlyFuckedUp on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:23 pm

I have a Baja 50cc. I choose baja in all honesty because it was inexpensive (brand new $875). Also the dealer I bought mine from offers a warrenty as the manufacturer does not. It has served me well, I'm upgrading to a 125 though, the 50 just doesn't get the speed I want out of it and I live the styling of te 125 better. The 125 is $1100 and the 150 is $1600. I've taken mine up and down the 14 mile dirt road that leads to my parents house, it's pretty rough but I had no problems. I've also taken it on roads during construction with the asphalt ripped off, and in the rain. I can't say I've ever had to deal with ice as I live in Phoenix so as you know icey roads aren't too common.
True Rebellion Never Dies
User avatar
PerfectlyFuckedUp
You deserve an award......
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Scooters

Postby Ms Minx on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:34 pm

I used to have a 90cc Vespa, I'm trying to remember the model name!

I'm such a sucker for old Vespas, make sure if you get one it's a larger model though, with double-side removable cowles - single sides are a bitch to work on to drop the engine.
Punk girls do it better...
www.builtonrespect.com
Image
User avatar
Ms Minx
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1640
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:10 pm
Location: NYC!

Re: Scooters

Postby Brutus on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:49 pm

My room mates family are all huge motorbike fanatics. They all drive them.

I was at their place for a family dinner once, and I asked about the possibility of getting a vespa or lambretta with their help..... They all looked at me like I had 9 ears or somethings.

Needless to say... I almost had some 49cc Yamaha a little while back....the deal didnt go through though...
User avatar
Brutus
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:14 pm
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Re: Scooters

Postby Max on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:14 pm

PerfectlyFuckedUp wrote:I have a Baja 50cc. I choose baja in all honesty because it was inexpensive (brand new $875). Also the dealer I bought mine from offers a warrenty as the manufacturer does not. It has served me well, I'm upgrading to a 125 though, the 50 just doesn't get the speed I want out of it and I live the styling of te 125 better. The 125 is $1100 and the 150 is $1600. I've taken mine up and down the 14 mile dirt road that leads to my parents house, it's pretty rough but I had no problems. I've also taken it on roads during construction with the asphalt ripped off, and in the rain. I can't say I've ever had to deal with ice as I live in Phoenix so as you know icey roads aren't too common.

Sounds about right. Who makes the Baja 125? I know of a Baja dirt bike, and a Bajaj scooter, but I'm not entirely certain about a baja scooter.
And so you gotta be strong You've got to just speak in tongues About how you belong
In popular culture - dEUS
User avatar
Max
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:28 pm

Re: Scooters

Postby Max on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:18 am

Ms Minx wrote:I used to have a 90cc Vespa, I'm trying to remember the model name!

I'm such a sucker for old Vespas, make sure if you get one it's a larger model though, with double-side removable cowles - single sides are a bitch to work on to drop the engine.

You're talking about a 90 CC racer, right?
Yeah, I'm thinking that I want a 4 stroke engine because it should be a little easier for me to "translate" to my motorcycle ways....
Vespa, though, I'm not necessarily married to the brand or name. There are several brands that have the same styling, but parts are a whole lot easier to get. Even so, I do like that classic italian styling....
And so you gotta be strong You've got to just speak in tongues About how you belong
In popular culture - dEUS
User avatar
Max
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:28 pm

Re: Scooters

Postby Max on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:20 am

Brutus wrote:My room mates family are all huge motorbike fanatics. They all drive them.

I was at their place for a family dinner once, and I asked about the possibility of getting a vespa or lambretta with their help..... They all looked at me like I had 9 ears or somethings.

Needless to say... I almost had some 49cc Yamaha a little while back....the deal didnt go through though...

Most motorcycle folk don't care for motorscooter types. And harley folk sometimes refer to their bikes as "scooters', which adds to the fun...
And so you gotta be strong You've got to just speak in tongues About how you belong
In popular culture - dEUS
User avatar
Max
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:28 pm

Re: Scooters

Postby NikkiNockers on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:15 pm

I glad I atumbled accross this post. My boyfriend wanted to look into getting a scooter. It would only be for back and forth to work and to the store. But it would be a lot better than him driving that damn Camaro to work and using a gallon of gas every 12 miles.

However, neither of us have any clue about where we should start looking. We don't even know about pricing.
Nowadays all the songs on the radio they all drive me crazy
User avatar
NikkiNockers
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:26 am
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Scooters

Postby Max on Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:00 pm

NikkiNockers wrote:I glad I atumbled accross this post. My boyfriend wanted to look into getting a scooter. It would only be for back and forth to work and to the store. But it would be a lot better than him driving that damn Camaro to work and using a gallon of gas every 12 miles.

However, neither of us have any clue about where we should start looking. We don't even know about pricing.

Three questions to start:
1. how far a commute?
2. City or Highway?
3. How's winter?
For example, if it's a 30 mile one way commute to work, all highway, and you live in Maine? A scooter might not be such a fantastic idea.
But, if work is 5 miles away, all city driving, in Southern california? Almost Any Scooter would be good.
And so you gotta be strong You've got to just speak in tongues About how you belong
In popular culture - dEUS
User avatar
Max
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:28 pm

Re: Scooters

Postby rebellemichelle on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:34 pm

We looked at Buddy scooters which are pretty cheap, cute style and are made in America. We really wanted to get them but my husbands credit sucks and we are on only one income anyway.

http://www.genuinescooters.com/scooters ... ddy_3.html

Otherwise you might want to look into a used vino or jazz.
Image
User avatar
rebellemichelle
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: Lawton/Ft. Sill, Middle Earth

Re: Scooters

Postby Max on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:38 pm

rebellemichelle wrote:We looked at Buddy scooters which are pretty cheap, cute style and are made in America. We really wanted to get them but my husbands credit sucks and we are on only one income anyway.

http://www.genuinescooters.com/scooters ... ddy_3.html

Otherwise you might want to look into a used vino or jazz.


Are they decent? Because there's a place in town that sells them, and, on the surface, the 125 CC Buddy looks pretty sweet. But, I fear for the craftsmanship, etc.
I do like the Vino, but finding a decent one, with enough ooomph is a mite difficult.
And so you gotta be strong You've got to just speak in tongues About how you belong
In popular culture - dEUS
User avatar
Max
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:28 pm

Re: Scooters

Postby rebellemichelle on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:46 pm

They guy we talked to spoke very highly of them. I have read a couple of internet reviews of them and they seem to come fairly well reccomended. WE took a test drive on one and it was pretty cool. But I don't have much to compate it to.
Image
User avatar
rebellemichelle
PRD Professor!
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: Lawton/Ft. Sill, Middle Earth

Re: Scooters

Postby PerfectlyFuckedUp on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:51 am

Max wrote:
PerfectlyFuckedUp wrote:I have a Baja 50cc. I choose baja in all honesty because it was inexpensive (brand new $875). Also the dealer I bought mine from offers a warrenty as the manufacturer does not. It has served me well, I'm upgrading to a 125 though, the 50 just doesn't get the speed I want out of it and I live the styling of te 125 better. The 125 is $1100 and the 150 is $1600. I've taken mine up and down the 14 mile dirt road that leads to my parents house, it's pretty rough but I had no problems. I've also taken it on roads during construction with the asphalt ripped off, and in the rain. I can't say I've ever had to deal with ice as I live in Phoenix so as you know icey roads aren't too common.

Sounds about right. Who makes the Baja 125? I know of a Baja dirt bike, and a Bajaj scooter, but I'm not entirely certain about a baja scooter.


Baja Motorsports is name of the maker http://www.bajamotorsports.net/. It's the same guys that make the Baja dirt bikes.
True Rebellion Never Dies
User avatar
PerfectlyFuckedUp
You deserve an award......
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Next

Return to Guys garage...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron